O'Nottingham Forest vs Derby County

Carl Sagan

I don't care that we're in poor form. I don't care that there's negativity surrounding the club at the minute. I don't care if people think we'll lose.

This is still Derby vs Forest and, therefore, a game with added significance. Every tackle, shot and (dare I say it) goal in our favour will taste that little bit sweeter and every tackle, shot and (most likely) goal against us will hurt that little bit more. 

We've been in far worse positions than this going into an East Midlands derby, and Forest have been in far stronger ones. If you can't get up for this then I pity you. I for one can't wait to be in that away end, getting piss thrown down at me by the Red Dogs as we give them all the hand gestures we've got in return.

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

and that is rather the point - we don't know what it is and we keep trotting out what we hope is the best and they are currently repeatedly coming up short. So.…..stick or twist?

Not down to us to know, that’s Frank’s job, which will be a lot easier when he has the likes of Mount and Lawrence back, Marriott and Bennett firing on all cylinders, and King and Cole up to speed.

Really don’t understand the annual call for kids when performances drop, 14 games to turn around a 2 point gap, reading this forum you would think it was the other way round, 2 games and a 14 point gap!

We sit here and moan how the players have given up yet in truth we’re the first to throw in the towel when the going gets tough, it’s more embarrassing that any of those performances last night. 

I'd like to see a couple of under 23s, Sibley in particular, get some game time when - and only when - there is not the slightest mathematical possibility that we can make the playoffs. 

In the meanwhile, we play the strongest team available to us and hope we find some inspiration and that free flowing, attacking football clicks back into place.

My only wish would be that there were a few more players in that eleven who had experienced these derby games for us and knew just how important it is to the fans. Keogh, Bryson, Lawrence, Huddlestone;  that's about it from who might realistically be selected to start. 

6 minutes ago, David said:

Not down to us to know, that’s Frank’s job, which will be a lot easier when he has the likes of Mount and Lawrence back, Marriott and Bennett firing on all cylinders, and King and Cole up to speed.

Really don’t understand the annual call for kids when performances drop, 14 games to turn around a 2 point gap, reading this forum you would think it was the other way round, 2 games and a 14 point gap!

We sit here and moan how the players have given up yet in truth we’re the first to throw in the towel when the going gets tough, it’s more embarrassing that any of those performances last night. 

Not saying the players have given up. Some were saying that they look knackered and laboured/slow. Some are bereft of confidence. Then others praise frank for giving a couple of the kids a go (Bogle).

Wasn't aware that it was an annual call either. but in a situation where you are looking (or should be) at all of your options, it would appear to be one which is considered inferior to bringing back previous players who aren't fully fit, loans who haven't played with the team, or overplaying out of form players in the hope that something clicks again.

No towels being thrown in here. Just an appraisal and speculation as to whether there might be a superior solution available. I am not privy to Franks thought processes so of course don't know what he has and hasn't considered.

3 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Not saying the players have given up. Some were saying that they look knackered and laboured/slow. Some are bereft of confidence. Then others praise frank for giving a couple of the kids a go (Bogle).

Wasn't aware that it was an annual call either. but in a situation where you are looking (or should be) at all of your options, it would appear to be one which is considered inferior to bringing back previous players who aren't fully fit, loans who haven't played with the team, or overplaying out of form players in the hope that something clicks again.

No towels being thrown in here. Just an appraisal and speculation as to whether there might be a superior solution available. I am not privy to Franks thought processes so of course don't know what he has and hasn't considered.

A few of the U23s are regularly sent to train with the first team, the club show the pictures both on Twitter and Instagram, I’m sure he’s aware of what we have and you have to trust his belief that when they are chosen they are ready.

We’ve had a few that have been stars in the U23s league but failed to make the grade, it’s a huge step up, one that many don’t appreciate. Sibley and Bird have looked great, but are still complete unknowns to be risking at this stage of the season.

The pressure is on, you saw last night the boo’s at the end, not the time to be throwing them into the deep end, especially The City Ground on Monday night.

One part of me is actually dreading it. Weve not been great recently and if we dont turn up i fear the worse

On the flip side if we turn up, put in a performance, get a win, throw im a few hard tackles & get in a scrap to get the fans going. Then it might just kick us on for the last few games of the season & bring back the feel good factor & buzz 

its the perfect time to play them to kick us on. Just depends which Derby county turn up. The one that fought for every ball at old trafford, scored a worldie & put in a performance to get the fans dreaming of big things. Or the one that plays slow side ways passes & wouldnt look out of place playing walking football and fills the stadium moans & groans & sucks the life out of everyone in it 

1 hour ago, David said:

A few of the U23s are regularly sent to train with the first team, the club show the pictures both on Twitter and Instagram, I’m sure he’s aware of what we have and you have to trust his belief that when they are chosen they are ready.

We’ve had a few that have been stars in the U23s league but failed to make the grade, it’s a huge step up, one that many don’t appreciate. Sibley and Bird have looked great, but are still complete unknowns to be risking at this stage of the season.

The pressure is on, you saw last night the boo’s at the end, not the time to be throwing them into the deep end, especially The City Ground on Monday night.

That I agree with. In fact weve gone full circle as i was idly speculating when MIGHT be a good time  having agreed it's not now.......

Not to worry. 

17 hours ago, David said:

It's my birthday on Tuesday. 

I'm not posting this for the memes or the cards, I'm not even fussed if I don't get a birthday thread.

What I would like is 3 points.

You see the thought of waking up on Tuesday following a defeat and a day of reading the forum fills me with dread, in fact I'm seriously considering drafting in emergency recruits to the moderating team so I can stay in bed and wake up Wednesday. 

A few years ago we played Forest A on my birthday and we lost. I was there. Not a good night.

17 hours ago, David said:

Not the game to be throwing two kids that have never started for the first team into midfield. Mad man, bonkers, nuts, step away from the gin.

In this climate regards mental health I’m not sure you’ve chosen your words wisely. There’s no way I’m mental enough to drink Gin. 

3 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

In this climate regards mental health I’m not sure you’ve chosen your words wisely. There’s no way I’m mental enough to drink Gin. 

You should try it, I hear that the Sainsbury's Basics is a very nice tipple after a long hard day

12 hours ago, angieram said:

I'd like to see a couple of under 23s, Sibley in particular, get some game time when - and only when - there is not the slightest mathematical possibility that we can make the playoffs. 

In the meanwhile, we play the strongest team available to us and hope we find some inspiration and that free flowing, attacking football clicks back into place.

My only wish would be that there were a few more players in that eleven who had experienced these derby games for us and knew just how important it is to the fans. Keogh, Bryson, Lawrence, Huddlestone;  that's about it from who might realistically be selected to start. 

I'd argue that some of those kids are stronger than some of the players we've seen get minutes in the past week... they can't be worse.

Just now, angieram said:

I don't disagree the potential is there but it's a big occasion to make a debut.

Didn't Jamie Hanson do it? or near-as a debut anyway. He wasn't exactly great, but he played out of position and still did a lot better than we've seen recently. Bare minimum we'd get is some effort.

Just now, Srg said:

Didn't Jamie Hanson do it? or near-as a debut anyway. He wasn't exactly great, but he played out of position and still did a lot better than we've seen recently. Bare minimum we'd get is some effort.

I don’t know. I remember Hendrick getting that goal when very young but he'd played a few games by then.

I rate Sibley because he's a winner. Would get stuck in (like Hanson) and could also get booked or sent off! 

But if it went wrong for him I fear for the vitriol he'd get from some of our fans.

Roos

Bogle     Keogh     Tomori      Cole

Hudds

King                 Holmes

Wilson          Marriott        Waghorn

Roos - The goal he conceded on Wednesday should of been saved but since hes come in hes looked like a very competent keeper.

Bogle - Need pace in the fullback positions but need him to be better offensively been deep recently

Keogh - to continue his good form

Tomori - to continue his good form and commanding performance against Millwall

Cole - Prefer him in this fixture over Malone, he looks an attacking threat and experience is vital

Hudds - poor in recent weeks but hes the best weve got in that position and when he plays well the whole team starts to tick

King - Needs to play games and is far better than Bryson, need some quality and he can provide that and work rate

Holmes - move him centrally! he comes deep for the ball and naturally drifts inside. he suits our midfield more than Wilson.

Wilson - Move him out wide! hes our top scorer and hasn't had a meaningful shot in the last 3 games playing CM. need attackers.

Waghorn - Move him out wide, 352 didnt work and i expect Frank to go back to basics. Need his ariel and goal threat.

Marriott - Even unfit hes twice the player useless Nuge is. he had 90 ins the other night to build fitness and had a good chance and was unlucky.

Archived