Annual Collapse

North East Ram

1 minute ago, Ramathorn said:

Yeah, I guess he could of ?‍♂️

My point being that we were not able to make any purchases in the summer (our moves have been short term deals/loans on a free, discounting wages) and maybe he wasn’t expecting to be that restricted.  I don’t think anyone thought we would be shelling out 10s of millions again.

He knew exactly what he was signing up for. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

Where do you think he'd go? I don't think any of top teams would be interested just yet. Also, maybe he'll man up and accept that the recent failures are partly the responsibility of the management and coaching team rather than just the teams. 

I don't think many are seriously saying he's doing a fantastic job at Derby. I'd say he's doing OK given his lack of experience and being on a very steep learning curve. Hopefully he is learning but, it could take more than one season to make a real impact.

I do worry that he seems to be a little stubborn (playing Nugent week after week for example when he seems to offer nothing more than effort and a cheeky smile any more) however, I do have faith and 100% am NOT calling for his head. Therefore, in order to maintain my sanity, I'm no longer expecting the top 6 but hoping things are brighter next season. 

I think we need to remind ourselves that very few of us, at the start of the season, seriously expected us to be anywhere near the top 6 but the performances and lack of progress is frustrating. 

I said before months ago as a joke that Bournemouth because of the Redknapp link maybe if Howe leaves at the end of the season. Not many of any Derby fans, if any, are saying he’s doing a fantastic job. I think the vast majority of us like you say see that he’s doing an ok job. However I’ve noticed a recent push in the national media to say that Lampard’s getting us playing a free flowing attacking style of football and is doing excellently with us for getting us in the play offs, showing his great qualities as an up and coming manager, ignoring that we’ve been consistently up there for the last 5 years anyway. I think they want the romantic story linking Lampard with Chelsea. Many Chelsea fans have fallen for it though, with many of their fans chanting  for Lampard during their last game and for Sarri out

Overall player management over a season has been poor and Frank has fallen into a similar trap to Rowett, Clement and Mac has done.

They find their way to play in Nov/Dec and throw all their eggs into that basket, leaving out other players for long periods. Rowetts was ‘the Vydra model’ this season we’ve had the Wilson/Mount one. Then once you get worked out it becomes harder to change as players come in from out of nowhere, who need minutes on the pitch to get up to speed and it’s too late.

Its not a curse, we need a settled squad who know their roles and are comfortable  with how they are playing. Starting with a big clear out in summer.

Why do people feed this balls about an annual slump, February wobble whatever. It’s complete horse poo!

Reason it’s not going right currently is we’re inexperienced both in playing staff and manager and we’re not playing well enough. It isn’t linked to any mystique around this time of the season. Let’s face it we haven’t been sparkling for a while now.

We’re in transition!! 

54 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

This is the 5th manager (?) in a row that has managed our collapse through Jan/Feb. What the heck are the reasons? I’m honestly baffled why we can’t keep steady and ride through til March without throwing away the hard work and points earned from August to December. 

Anyone offer a reasonable explanation?

No coincidence that our annual collapse coincides with a poor Jan transfer window. We all knew we needed a lot more quality in Jan.

It's the same every year.

Dire performance. Too many players heading for no contract exit. Best players are loan players.  Clean start in summer with little momentum because no continuity of selection/playing together. commentary was even more dire. Commentators saying no risk taking and very predictable. Something of a mystery to me. Let us hope that Frank will stay next season. COYR

Just now, Finch said:

Nowhere near Prem quality in any way. We could challenge our record low points total. More years rebuilding yet.

Although if you ignore Brighton, we’ve had some of our best performances against prem opposition...

...not that I think we could sustain it for an entire season

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How can players settle when they keep getting 'moved about'?!

Well exactly, need to determine how we want to play and the ones who don’t suit it need to move on in the summer. Players have been mucked about terribly and it’s happened this season too (by the way I’m  talking more about the Johnson’s/Wisdom’s this season over the ones we saw outcasted) Not ‘loans’ but permanently move on, including those who will be out of contract. Problem is our past few seasons our summers have come with a management search, or a clueless Rowett. Hence we’ve brought players in over priced who we’ve tried to encorporate but not fitted.

All of us as fans also have to accept that our individual favourite players may need to move on before we achieve anything. I’ve had to do it with Martin, but we can’t keep shoehorning players into systems they can’t work in.

54 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

And why do you don’t believe he doesn’t ?

Must be because he hasn't written an open letter confirming no interest in Chelsea whatsoever.

19 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Dire performance. Too many players heading for no contract exit. Best players are loan players.  Clean start in summer with little momentum because no continuity of selection/playing together. commentary was even more dire. Commentators saying no risk taking and very predictable. Something of a mystery to me. Let us hope that Frank will stay next season. COYR

You hope Lampard stays on the back of that performance tonight. 

Archived