Galaxy Fold

David

On 18/04/2019 at 10:27, McRamFan said:

They took a risk, after all the real competition is Huawei, and they are coming along at a frightening speed, already passed Apple in phone sales, and not even scratched the West yet.

?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, David said:

?

AKA - Google bends the knee to the man sat on the Iron Throne of utmost paranoia and self interest.

Huawei will just ramp up RnD on their own op system, that they where already working on.  They have probably combined the best bits from Apple and Android already.

8 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

AKA - Google bends the knee to the man sat on the Iron Throne of utmost paranoia and self interest.

Huawei will just ramp up RnD on their own op system, that they where already working on.  They have probably combined the best bits from Apple and Android already.

surprised kenan thompson GIF

1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

I'm a dyed in the wool iPhone user, have been forever really but had a play with a friend's Huawei P30 Pro and have to say it's an impressive bit of kit. That said, I'm still using an iPhone 5s which I bought back in 2013 and the thing is utterly bulletproof.

I'm going to upgrade soon but only because my eyes are rubbish and I need a bigger handset. Not sure which way to go really, whether to stick with Apple or bite the bullet and save myself some cash with an Android handset. The gap has closed it seems to me and the iPhones are eye-wateringly expensive. Think it's down to the Huawei and the iPhone XR. Decisions, decisions...

14 hours ago, McRamFan said:

Not to mention removing one of their biggest competitors to the Pixel phones from the market - at least temporarily.

The other chinese phone manufacturers are going to be next. Glad I didn't buy the OnePlus phone I was consdiering for a while.

13 hours ago, 86 points said:

Think it's down to the Huawei and the iPhone XR

Google have pulled the plug on Huawei’s Android licence, so I’m sure you will pick up one on the cheap now, but just be aware of the reasons for that.

They are likely to release their own operating software soon, look how many years it’s taken Android to even close the gap on iOS. It’s a lot easier to create the hardware than it is the software.

Now I know the Android users will start BuT iPhOnEs CaNt EvEn Do......

What iOS has over Android is stability, an operating system created and optimised for one device and it shows. Android might have all these great features which they do have a few, it still feels very clunky and laggy to use and I’m sat here with both a flagship Android and iOS device in my hand.

Personally I would wait and see what happens before jumping into a Huawei device and if your battery is dying quicker in your iPhone which I suspect it will be with it being so old, Apple do battery replacements for £45 which will make your phone soldier on for another few years.

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Chinese manufactured, I believe. 

Some parts are sometimes manufactured in China, with the company more often than not based outside of China.

• Accelerometer: Bosch Sensortech, based in Germany with locations in the U.S., China, South Korea, Japan, and Taiwan
  • Audio chips: Cirrus Logic, based in the U.S. with locations in the U.K., China, South Korea, Taiwan, Japan, and Singapore
  • Battery: Samsung, based in South Korea with locations in 80 countries
  • Battery: Sunwoda Electronic, based in China
  • Camera: Qualcomm, based in the U.S. with locations in Australia, Brazil, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, and more than a dozen locations through Europe and Latin America
  • Camera: Sony, based in Japan with locations in dozens of countries
  • Chips for 3G/4G/LTE networking: Qualcomm 
  • Compass: AKM Semiconductor, based in Japan with locations in the U.S., France, England, China, South Korea, and Taiwan
  • Glass screen: Corning, based in the U.S., with locations in Australia, Belgium, Brazil, China, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Philippines, Poland, Russia, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, The Netherlands, Turkey, the U.K., and the United Arab Emirates 
  • Gyroscope: STMicroelectronics. Based in Switzerland, with locations in 35 countries
  • Flash memory: Toshiba, based in Japan with locations in over 50 countries 
  • Flash memory: Samsung 
  • LCD screen: Sharp, based in Japan with locations in 13 countries
  • LCD screen: LG, based in South Korea with locations in Poland and China
  • A-series processor: Samsung 
  • A-series processor: TSMC, based in Taiwan with locations in China, Singapore, and the U.S.
  • Touch ID: TSMC
  • Touch ID: Xintec. Based in Taiwan. 
  • Touch-screen controller: Broadcom, based in the U.S. with locations in Israel, Greece, the U.K., the Netherlands, Belgium, France, India, China, Taiwan, Singapore, and South Korea
  • Wi-Fi chip: Murata, based in the U.S. with locations in Japan, Mexico, Brazil, Canada, China, Taiwan, South Korea, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, India, Vietnam, The Netherlands, Spain, the U.K., Germany, Hungary, France, Italy, and Finland 

Source: https://www.lifewire.com/where-is-the-iphone-made-1999503

3 hours ago, David said:

Google have pulled the plug on Huawei’s Android licence, so I’m sure you will pick up one on the cheap now, but just be aware of the reasons for that.

They are likely to release their own operating software soon, look how many years it’s taken Android to even close the gap on iOS. It’s a lot easier to create the hardware than it is the software.

Now I know the Android users will start BuT iPhOnEs CaNt EvEn Do......

What iOS has over Android is stability, an operating system created and optimised for one device and it shows. Android might have all these great features which they do have a few, it still feels very clunky and laggy to use and I’m sat here with both a flagship Android and iOS device in my hand.

Personally I would wait and see what happens before jumping into a Huawei device and if your battery is dying quicker in your iPhone which I suspect it will be with it being so old, Apple do battery replacements for £45 which will make your phone soldier on for another few years.

Thanks David - I did see on the news last night that Trump is stepping up the trade war with China and the security concerns expressed by the US and the West in general, no matter how spurious, do give pause for thought.

On the battery note, I have actually replaced the battery so the bulletproof comment slightly (if unintentionally) misleading. STrangely, I was still getting reasonable battery life but the issue was that the remaining usage indicator became rather hit and miss - the phone would show 15%+ remaining capacity and then suddenly die hence the replacement.

I think all things considered, I may just bite the bullet and get a new iPhone XR. I'm an IT guy but I'm no expert on mobile tech so my thinking is that the XR seems close to the more expensive XS units in terms of feature sets, is bigger than the 5s without being tablet size and is considerably cheaper. Does this way of thinking make sense and is the XR a decent handset in your opinion? I get the feeling the XS Max will be too too big really as I'm lazy and don't want something I can't operate with one hand! Also, do any current iPhone run dual-SIM? I can't see anything in the tech specs that suggests they do but it'd be useful for me to distinguish between and ring-fence personal and business calls.

56 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Thanks David - I did see on the news last night that Trump is stepping up the trade war with China and the security concerns expressed by the US and the West in general, no matter how spurious, do give pause for thought.

On the battery note, I have actually replaced the battery so the bulletproof comment slightly (if unintentionally) misleading. STrangely, I was still getting reasonable battery life but the issue was that the remaining usage indicator became rather hit and miss - the phone would show 15%+ remaining capacity and then suddenly die hence the replacement.

I think all things considered, I may just bite the bullet and get a new iPhone XR. I'm an IT guy but I'm no expert on mobile tech so my thinking is that the XR seems close to the more expensive XS units in terms of feature sets, is bigger than the 5s without being tablet size and is considerably cheaper. Does this way of thinking make sense and is the XR a decent handset in your opinion? I get the feeling the XS Max will be too too big really as I'm lazy and don't want something I can't operate with one hand! Also, do any current iPhone run dual-SIM? I can't see anything in the tech specs that suggests they do but it'd be useful for me to distinguish between and ring-fence personal and business calls.

If you’re looking at an XR, I would wait now, we’re only 3 months away from the new releases and shops/carriers will be looking to move on the older devices with discounts. 

The XR isn’t that different to the XS, it’s a little chunkier, thicker bezels, has a LCD screen instead of an OLED but with that you get a better battery life.

The camera hasn’t got all the super fancy features I don’t think, but if you just want to take a standard pic it’s just as good the XS. 

Theres also the iPhone 8 if you don’t want the leap in size, probably pick one up for around £500 in a couple months new.

Archived