Galaxy Fold

Day

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched the cnet keynote speech about it. Everyone’s suitsbly excited until they unveil the price when there’s lots of ‘woah!’ from the audience, and they quickly gloss over til the end. 

How do they make it so the middle of the screen doesn’t end up with a big crease down it? Even the most flexible of materials, like silk or whatever, would end up with a crease if it’s folded in half like that for any length of time. 

2 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

If it stops my lads going ‘Dad,my screens broke and I didn’t do anything ‘,then it might be a shrewd investment..,not at 2 grand though,duck right off.

Has more screens to break, can’t see how you could stick it in a case either

I get that all mobile companies are struggling to really be innovative enough to get people to upgrade their phones quicker but this just feels like they've solved a problem that didn't exist and produced something that nobody actually asked for.

It's also going to cannibalise their own tablet sales - assuming they can actually flog it for that crazy price.

1 minute ago, Wolfie said:

I get that all mobile companies are struggling to really be innovative enough to get people to upgrade their phones quicker but this just feels like they've solved a problem that didn't exist and produced something that nobody actually asked for.

It's also going to cannibalise their own tablet sales - assuming they can actually flog it for that crazy price.

Don't think they are struggling when you look at phone sales and should be applauded for trying to bring something new to the market.

They brought out the DeX where your phone would double up as a desktop computer, looks like Samsung are trying to create that one device that does it all and testing the water with this first gen almost prototype foldable phone which doubles up as a tablet.

I like the idea, if they can slim it down and widen to the width of a regular plus phone, which then unfolds to a tablet, AND you can dock it to use with a monitor, keyboard and mouse I would be all over it.

Kinda screwed if you lose it though.

Also I'm not sure battery technology is there to power these things for a full day yet. 

11 minutes ago, David said:

Don't think they are struggling when you look at phone sales and should be applauded for trying to bring something new to the market.

Yes they ship a lot of phones but their sales have reduced 20% since 2014. I'd say that was struggling a bit.

My point is, when was the last time there was a really big innovation in the market?. Probably not since the original iPhone (or at least the first 3G version). Ever since then, it's been merely incremental (and often cynical in my view) tinkering every few months to exploit eager customers who must have the latest thing.

This has resulted in both many customers being willing to upgrade less frequently - and when they do, more willing to consider cheaper phones which do 80% of what the latest £1000 Samsung or iPhone can do, but for half the price.

The big boys are desperately trying to find the next big thing - which is good. I just don't think this is it. Now, if they could produce a smartphone whose battery lasted days instead of hours, they'd clean up big time and rightly so.

16 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Yes they ship a lot of phones but their sales have reduced 20% since 2014. I'd say that was struggling a bit.

My point is, when was the last time there was a really big innovation in the market?. Probably not since the original iPhone (or at least the first 3G version). Ever since then, it's been merely incremental (and often cynical in my view) tinkering every few months to exploit eager customers who must have the latest thing.

This has resulted in both many customers being willing to upgrade less frequently - and when they do, more willing to consider cheaper phones which do 80% of what the latest £1000 Samsung or iPhone can do, but for half the price.

The big boys are desperately trying to find the next big thing - which is good. I just don't think this is it. Now, if they could produce a smartphone whose battery lasted days instead of hours, they'd clean up big time and rightly so.

Sales numbers down but record profits, partly down to idiots like me that will upgrade each year because it's a slightly more powerful chip, a chip that I have no idea if I even use half the power of.

Although in my defence I've shown my calculations before by staying sim free and looking after the phones it's not a huge upgrade fee after selling the old device.

Know what you're saying though, and I think to be honest that's why both Samsung and Apple are raising the prices to cover the losses over fewer sales due to the lack of innovation.

What worries me is they are hitting the price limit for even the most hardcore mugs, are we going to start seeing phones last less time to drive people back to yearly upgrades?

Innovations such as this foldable phone is never going to hit the mass market with that price tag, be a shame to see them scrap it as a bad job if there is a low demand.

19 minutes ago, David said:

What worries me is they are hitting the price limit for even the most hardcore mugs, are we going to start seeing phones last less time to drive people back to yearly upgrades?

That's inevitable in the consumer market - stuff like Fridges and Washing Machines that people used to rarely ever replace are now deliberately built to have a limited lifespan. The cheaper the item, the shorter the lifespan.

So it really is a case of doing the sums - there will always be the high end manufacturer whose USP is that their products last for donkeys - but you pay the price for that.

Wouldn't surprise me to see phones become almost disposable items eventually.

Just now, StivePesley said:

That's inevitable in the consumer market - stuff like Fridges and Washing Machines that people used to rarely ever replace are now deliberately built to have a limited lifespan. The cheaper the item, the shorter the lifespan.

So it really is a case of doing the sums - there will always be the high end manufacturer whose USP is that their products last for donkeys - but you pay the price for that.

Wouldn't surprise me to see phones become almost disposable items eventually.

I don't see them killing phones off with poor hardware but software, Android has been doing that already with to a point where only the flagship phones of the last year or two get the latest updates. 

Think we'll see more software changes to where apps no longer support older devices forcing users to update if they want the latest and greatest say photo filters in Snapchat.. 

Archived