Forum Update 19/02/19

Day

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, reveldevil said:

If I scroll quickly to the bottom of a thread, it jumps back up and hides the next topic button.

Similar to revel, I am not seeing next unread topic link where it usually is, i.e. nothing to click to get to next topic in the forum, even though there are unread topics?

Just now, dabber said:

Similar to revel, I am not seeing next unread topic link where it usually is, i.e. nothing to click to get to next topic in the forum, even though there are unread topics?

Clicking on next unread topic works, but there used to be the name of the thread to click on, still works so I will get used to it!

25 minutes ago, dabber said:

Clicking on next unread topic works, but there used to be the name of the thread to click on, still works so I will get used to it!

The topic title from the link has been removed by the software developers to improve performance, I will look into the possibility of bringing it back 

6 hours ago, David said:

As some of you will be aware we have been offline this afternoon tinkering with the forum, most are under the hood improvements which you will not notice, but I thought I would let you know about a couple which you will.

Lazy Loading
Lazy loading is a method by which attachments, embeds and images are not loaded by default. They are only loaded when the viewer scrolls down enough to make them visible.

This allows the page to load a good deal faster now it doesn't have to load megabytes of images before the page is shown as completely rendered.

You should notice embed heavy pages will now load much quicker whilst using mobile devices on 3G/4G connections.

GIF's
GiF's need no introduction unless you have been living under a rock for the last few years, some will already have GIF toolbars built into their devices. Those that don't, you can now search and embed Giphy gifs right here on the forum using the GIF button on the toolbar.

*We have restricted these to family friendly as per forum guidelines ? 

---------------------------

If you notice anything wonky, any errors, things that don't look right let me know in this topic, that way I won't miss it.

Apologies for the extended offline time, couldn't be helped. 

Looks like I have been living under a rock don't understand any of it

6 hours ago, David said:

Ok, I thought I had requested a production key which would remove restrictions, appears not. This has been now submitted and we are awaiting their approval. Shouldn’t be an issue.

Until then we are restricted to 42 search requests an hour.

How long it will take, not entirely sure, would have thought a few days, possibly hours, will update once restrictions have been lifted.

We’ve been approved now so we’re free from restrictions.

15 minutes ago, mozza said:

I know i'll be told what to do if I say ''I don’t like it'', but, ''I don't like it". Too much scrolling and clicking.

Not very helpful feedback. All websites require scrolling and clicking to navigate, you’re going to need to be more specific?

5 minutes ago, mozza said:

The 'next unread topic' bit being blank, can it no longer navigate us, like it used to? 

No, I did talk about this earlier in the topic.

On 19/02/2019 at 18:12, David said:

The topic title from the link has been removed by the software developers to improve performance, I will look into the possibility of bringing it back 

For now once you reach the bottom use the "Unread Content" link

Screenshot 2019-02-22 at 08.39.34.png

It's 1 extra click but allows you to pick your next unread topic rather than taken to one you may have no interest in, which actually is a much quicker way to go through the forum than before.

You still have to scroll to read posts though, not a lot I can do about that, unless you have a 32" monitor in portrait mode.

4 minutes ago, mozza said:

I'm on android phone, says 'next unread topic', no option to press 'unread content' as I can see anyway. 

No probs my man, just thought i'd give you my thoughts. Keep up the good work. 

I find it the same as you, not as user friendly on mobile. 

22 minutes ago, David said:

For now once you reach the bottom use the "Unread Content" link

Screenshot 2019-02-22 at 08.39.34.png

It's 1 extra click but allows you to pick your next unread topic rather than taken to one you may have no interest in, which actually is a much quicker way to go through the forum than before.

I've been doing that since I came here.

As David says above, you can avoid topics that don't interest you.  Takes you straight to the next unread post (assuming you have been in that thread before).

Works for me!    spacer.png

20 minutes ago, mozza said:

I'm on android phone, says 'next unread topic', no option to press 'unread content' as I can see anyway. 

No probs my man, just thought i'd give you my thoughts. Keep up the good work. 

In which case you could use your phones back button which would take you to the forum to pick a topic you're interested in?

If you have read say 3 or 4 pages and don't want to click back 3 or 4 times, using Chrome one quick flick will take you to the top of the forum where you can use this link to take you back to the forum. Or press the speech bubbles to take you to the Unread Content page.

IMG_0246.jpeg

Both of these would be a more efficient way of opening the next unread topics to be honest.

What did you do before if it displayed a title of the topic you wasn't interested in, click it anyway or use a method I've shown above?

As I say though the developers took it out the software to improve performance, searching is one of the most resource heavy features of a forum, with every user loading a page it would have to pull the data from the next topic as well as the one you've opened. More users you have, more resources it uses and the slower it becomes.

That's not to say I'm not looking at the possibility of bringing it back, but it's one of the slowest, more resource heavy ways of navigating the forum. 

If it's not possible, what is and will be easy enough would be to bring an unread content link to the bottom on mobile device as an alternative.

3 minutes ago, mozza said:

Got to be honest , i'd never used the bubbles option , will now tho , cheers.

If you haven't used that page since the update and it's running a little slow when opening, just click mark site as read once you've read everything you want.

That will speed it right up.

IMG_0247.jpeg

Archived