Declan Rice

Anon

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sign him up. Im honestly not bothered where they are from. If  they add quality to the team & want to play for England then let them. If Ronaldo & Messi suddenly wanted to be English & there was a loop hole then id play them. 

I do think once capped for the senior side you shouldnt be allowed to change. But I also think the FA miss a trick. So many young foreign players in English clubs acadamies im suprised they dont approach the very best at age 15 & say dont play for your country of bith etc. Stay in the city, united, chelsea academy & when you qualify for full citizenship or whatever come play for England. 

Some wouldnt due to loyalty but some might think its their best chance of winning something or going to a world cup etc if they are from a lesser footballing nation. Others from better footballing nations might havd someons agead of them & think its their best chance. Makes sense. 

9 hours ago, G-Ram said:

Sign him up. Im honestly not bothered where they are from. If  they add quality to the team & want to play for England then let them. If Ronaldo & Messi suddenly wanted to be English & there was a loop hole then id play them. 

I do think once capped for the senior side you shouldnt be allowed to change. But I also think the FA miss a trick. So many young foreign players in English clubs acadamies im suprised they dont approach the very best at age 15 & say dont play for your country of bith etc. Stay in the city, united, chelsea academy & when you qualify for full citizenship or whatever come play for England. 

Some wouldnt due to loyalty but some might think its their best chance of winning something or going to a world cup etc if they are from a lesser footballing nation. Others from better footballing nations might havd someons agead of them & think its their best chance. Makes sense. 

What's the point of international football at all if nations were to behave in this fashion?

On the Rice issue, it isn't a big deal and yes we've all said stupid things. I do wonder what the reaction would've been in Ireland had edgy texts been uncovered where he glorified the black and tans.

9 hours ago, G-Ram said:

You might be interested in club football, each season they have two transfer windows where you can sign any player regardless of nationality. They can move to other clubs though, but this is what would allow you to watch teams built with a wider choice of players which is not limited to nationality.

I have a few teams I can recommend if you’re interested?

On 18/02/2019 at 12:02, BurtonRam7 said:

What about my mate who has English parents and siblings, only speaks English, has lived in England since the age of three, has an English passport and is a UK citizen but was born in an army base in Germany?

He's a German. Does he have a sense of humour?

8 hours ago, David said:

You might be interested in club football, each season they have two transfer windows where you can sign any player regardless of nationality. They can move to other clubs though, but this is what would allow you to watch teams built with a wider choice of players which is not limited to nationality.

I have a few teams I can recommend if you’re interested?

To be fair Declan Rice was born in England, speaks with an English accent if he wants to play for England let him play. 

I do think times have changed & youngsters born in foreign countries that come here as a kid, train in England, go to school in England, qualify for a passport & as a citizen and havent represented another country at senior level should represent us if they want. They may feel more English than their country of birth after being welcomed here etc

some of my comments were said messing about but with the prizes in football i am suprised the English FA dont poach youngsters that come here as a youth player or try to get them to play for England. I wouldnt have a problem with it & other nations have players play for them. Im suprised we didnt do more to persuade Giggs to play for us but he clearly felt he was welsh. 

I do think Rice is naughty playing for ireland at senior level & swapping & it shouldnt be allowed once capped. But were on the winning side & he looks a good player so i dont have an issue if it wins us a world cup ? 

On 18/02/2019 at 11:59, RamNut said:

"Rice was born and raised in Kingston upon Thames"

thats about as far from Ireland as you can get and still be in England.

the error is in allowing players to represent other countries because of some obscure Irish granny.

You're born where you're born. And thats it.

let Ireland pick the granny.

So Mozza and I could represent Wales ??????? 

There’d be a welcome on the Hillsides ? 

On 21/03/2019 at 19:49, Highgate said:

Seen people rebel and shock their parents in all sorts of ways...never saw anyone feign support for terrorists to shock their parents if that's what you are suggesting he did. Not buying that really.  Still think his best excuse is that he didn't know what it meant.

I'm alright up here @BurtonRam7, I like a bit of altitude.  Maybe he did mean it as a 'joke', but I've never really heard that phrase used in that way.  Wouldn't you at least admit that you would be alarmed if those were his genuine feelings when he was 16?

Oh come on, he doesn’t support terrorism. He’s younger than me and I’m still too young to really understand The Troubles. The IRA aren’t in a generation’s consciousness other than being massive poops. 

3 hours ago, cannable said:

Oh come on, he doesn’t support terrorism. He’s younger than me and I’m still too young to really understand The Troubles. The IRA aren’t in a generation’s consciousness other than being massive poops. 

That was pretty much what I said.  His defence is that he didn't know what he was saying at the time...because of his youth. That's plausible and forgivable. 

However if he was conscious of what he was saying, and remember he does have an Irish background, so he would be more likely to be aware of such issues than your average English teenager, then it was an awful thing to say.  I don't buy the notion that he did know the full meaning of what he said, but he chose to say it regardless, as a normal act of teenage rebellion.  That would be strange behaviour. 

Perfectly willing to believe he didn't know what he was doing or saying due to his age...benefit of the doubt should be applied.

Archived