Declan Rice

Anon

Sith Happens

Surprised he's not been hung drawn and quartered by the press. Very unforgiving usually.

We all make mistakes, if social media was about when i was younger i would have im sure.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Not really. There's also being a kid.

What age was he then? 16?  Surely old enough to know that terrorism isn't a joke.  Seems to me that his best defence is that he didn't know what the phrase meant.  Which as I said, is plausible given his youth.

If he did know, then it is pretty alarming that he would have posted that even at age 16.  I don't think rooting for indiscriminate murderers is natural part of most people's formative years.

Not saying it's unforgivable if he has completely changed his views however.

Sith Happens
16 minutes ago, Highgate said:

What age was he then? 16?  Surely old enough to know that terrorism isn't a joke.  Seems to me that his best defence is that he didn't know what the phrase meant.  Which as I said, is plausible given his youth.

If he did know, then it is pretty alarming that he would have posted that even at age 16.  I don't think rooting for indiscriminate murderers is natural part of most people's formative years.

It can't be that bad, the leader of the opposition has been at it for years.

21 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Saying stupid things that shock grown-ups is a natural part of most people's formative years. Who amongst us has never ever said anything to ingratiate ourselves with a peer group or to deliberately piss someone off? Along with playing football, smoking fags and being scared of girls, it was a cornerstone of growing up round our way.

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I wouldn't know if he did or didn't. Either way, not something we can discuss here. 

David started it.

43 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Surprised he's not been hung drawn and quartered by the press. Very unforgiving usually.

We all make mistakes, if social media was about when i was younger i would have im sure.

I went for a birthday meal at Anoki a few years ago . The following day I got a text from my cousin asking how I knew Collette.  I didn.t - Collette was having a picture on the table next to us and I wound up in it   It's created a paranoia in me when i'm out ever since.  lol

52 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Get off your high horse. Have you never made an inappropriate, non-PC joke that you've come to regret at any point in your life, let alone at 16? 

35 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Saying stupid things that shock grown-ups is a natural part of most people's formative years. Who amongst us has never ever said anything to ingratiate ourselves with a peer group or to deliberately piss someone off? Along with playing football, smoking fags and being scared of girls, it was a cornerstone of growing up round our way.

Seen people rebel and shock their parents in all sorts of ways...never saw anyone feign support for terrorists to shock their parents if that's what you are suggesting he did. Not buying that really.  Still think his best excuse is that he didn't know what it meant.

I'm alright up here @BurtonRam7, I like a bit of altitude.  Maybe he did mean it as a 'joke', but I've never really heard that phrase used in that way.  Wouldn't you at least admit that you would be alarmed if those were his genuine feelings when he was 16?

Sith Happens
27 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Get off your high horse. Have you never made an inappropriate, non-PC joke that you've come to regret at any point in your life, let alone at 16? 

Im 48 and get non-pc jokes, pics and videos on whats app most days from friends,  mostly i giggle.

Used to call the local shop the p*** shop, Wouldn't now, used to say eney meenie minie mo when i was about 10. 

Anyone who says they have never said anything offensive is probably a liar. 

30 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Not buying that really.  Still think his best excuse is that he didn't know what it meant. Not buying that really.  Still think his best excuse is that he didn't know what it meant. I'm alright up here @BurtonRam7, I like a bit of altitude.  Maybe he did mean it as a 'joke', but I've never really heard that phrase used in that way.  Wouldn't you at least admit that you would be alarmed if those were his genuine feelings when he was 16?

I'm 100% sure he intended that as a joke. He was born and bred in London, so I highly doubt he has ever felt hatred towards the country of his birth.  

On 18/02/2019 at 11:59, RamNut said:

"Rice was born and raised in Kingston upon Thames"

thats about as far from Ireland as you can get and still be in England.

the error is in allowing players to represent other countries because of some obscure Irish granny.

You're born where you're born. And thats it.

let Ireland pick the granny.

I used to think that but apparently that's not true. A child born to Congolse parents in the UK is Congolese.

Sith Happens

Even if he wasn't joking, imagine the pressure to fit in for a 16 year old somewhere like Ireland. 

Possibly felt pressure to convince he was Irish. Ireland can be volatile even today.

37 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Seen people rebel and shock their parents in all sorts of ways...never saw anyone feign support for terrorists to shock their parents if that's what you are suggesting he did. Not buying that really.  Still think his best excuse is that he didn't know what it meant.

I'm alright up here @BurtonRam7, I like a bit of altitude.  Maybe he did mean it as a 'joke', but I've never really heard that phrase used in that way.  Wouldn't you at least admit that you would be alarmed if those were his genuine feelings when he was 16?

Loads of kids get into communism.

On 18/02/2019 at 11:59, RamNut said:

"Rice was born and raised in Kingston upon Thames"

thats about as far from Ireland as you can get and still be in England.

the error is in allowing players to represent other countries because of some obscure Irish granny.

You're born where you're born. And thats it.

let Ireland pick the granny.

Don't see why your birthplace is considered to have such a crucial bearing on your nationality, any more than your location at any other time of your life. In all honesty we are just taking other people's word for where we are born really, I don't see why people attach so much importance to it.  Where you are raised is obviously very important as is your family background if that sort of thing is important to you.

Can't argue with 'you're born where you're born' though.  That seems pretty watertight ?

You can't be 100% sure about that @BurtonRam7 Plenty of English born and raised people in the history of the 'RA' (as Deccers would say). 

Most likely he didn't really know what he was saying, so it's forgivable. Still it's a stupid and embarrassing comment that I"m sure he wishes he never made.  

Archived