Declan Rice

Anon

In my opinion this is yet another case where international friendlies should be downgraded so no caps are awarded for participation. Players who have a full international cap should not be allowed to transfer their registration, except in exceptional circumstances like the break up of a nation.

I also think our FA should've made a public statement explicitly stating that absolutely no assurances regarding future selection will ever be given to any potential England player. The public tug of war over the player was pretty grubby for both FAs involved and put lots of undue pressure on Rice, who should've been afforded more time to make his decision privately. I'm not absolving Rice of blame completely though. Some of the public statements he chose to make previously about his pride in representing Ireland have now been revealed to be utterly vacuous by his decision to switch his registration to England. I agree with Kevin Kilbane when he says that Ireland should've ditched Rice the moment he refused an international call up.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Rice was born and raised in Kingston upon Thames"

thats about as far from Ireland as you can get and still be in England.

the error is in allowing players to represent other countries because of some obscure Irish granny.

You're born where you're born. And thats it.

let Ireland pick the granny.

Remember when the FA tried to woo Januzaj? it’s all nonsense, trying to find loopholes where you can place a tag on young players by playing them in a meaningless friendly over in Azerbaijan.

I think it’s difficult to change the cap system now, FIFA should focus and settling a players nationality when they sign their first player registration form at academy level, before the vultures swoop in looking for any possible eligibility down the family tree.

Not being good enough to play for England should allow you to go play for Scotland or Ireland.

I have no problem with an Essex born and raised player wanting to play for Scotland as his Dads Scottish, but state that on your forms at 13/14 how ever old they are and that’s final. 

Seeing the likes of Declan Rice coming out at 20 declaring he wants to play for England, don’t like it, almost arrogant and if the FA chuck him in for a game just to claim him, so wrong.

International caps should be earned.

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

the error is in allowing players to represent other countries because of some obscure Irish granny.

What about my mate who has English parents and siblings, only speaks English, has lived in England since the age of three, has an English passport and is a UK citizen but was born in an army base in Germany?

16 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

What about my mate who has English parents and siblings, only speaks English, has lived in England since the age of three, has an English passport and is a UK citizen but was born in an army base in Germany?

Scaly brats aren't eligible to represent anyone, ever. 

No offence intended to any on here... ?

26 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Same here (a mate, not me!)

He has solved the problem by wearing a... wait for it... half 'n half SHIRT, when the WC/Euros come round!

Only as results come in/the competition progresses, does he decide which full shirt to wear!  (He has both, of course).

He's even been known to swap to a full shirt (of his choosing) whilst a penalty shoot out is still ongoing!

Oh how we laugh!

37 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

He could probably play for Ireland.

50 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Should play for the EU.

i blame Brexit..........? (better watch David’s itch or he might start waving a card...)

7 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

My great grandmother was from Gujurat (great grandad was a British soldier stationed in Bangalore, left army and married her and back to Derby). That was in the 19th century 130 years ago. Does that make me eligible to represent India? It's all rubbish

It doesn't make you eligible under current rules, but one of your parents would've been eligible. It's not just the grandparent rule that gets abused though. As David mentioned, we seriously considered trying to get Januzaj and Almunia to apply for British passports to represent England. Diego Costa is a Brazilian with no Spanish relatives, and Qatar are currently naturalising anyone who can kick a football. In 2015 an East Timor national team contained 7 Brazilians.

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

If ROI could only pick players born in Ireland thye wouldnt have many to choose from. Keogh is from Essex and Pearce is from Oxford i believe for example.

2 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Can he play CB? If yes then he's definitely German so sign him up Frank

3 hours ago, David said:

Remember when the FA tried to woo Januzaj? it’s all nonsense, trying to find loopholes where you can place a tag on young players by playing them in a meaningless friendly over in Azerbaijan.

I think it’s difficult to change the cap system now, FIFA should focus and settling a players nationality when they sign their first player registration form at academy level, before the vultures swoop in looking for any possible eligibility down the family tree.

Not being good enough to play for England should allow you to go play for Scotland or Ireland.

I have no problem with an Essex born and raised player wanting to play for Scotland as his Dads Scottish, but state that on your forms at 13/14 how ever old they are and that’s final. 

Seeing the likes of Declan Rice coming out at 20 declaring he wants to play for England, don’t like it, almost arrogant and if the FA chuck him in for a game just to claim him, so wrong.

International caps should be earned.

Agreed. It should have been ingrained into him from an early age

• 1 month later...

Well that's embarrassing. I guess he could argue that he didn't know what 'Up the Ra' meant. Plausible for a kid his age growing up where he did I suppose. Ignorance is his only defence now, otherwise England's newest recruit is a former (at best) terrorist sympathizer.

If we went with the rule of only playing where you were born England wouldn't have had a cricket team in the late 80's to mid 90's . Wasn't that a South African overseas invite only .  Britain would have had only two Grand slam competing tennis players since the 70's and the England rugby team would be half a team .   It's not only Ireland that use the grandparent ruling .   In fact that ruling is more viable than most. 

51 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Well that's embarrassing. I guess he could argue that he didn't know what 'Up the Ra' meant. Plausible for a kid his age growing up where he did I suppose. Ignorance is his only defence now, otherwise England's newest recruit is a former (at best) terrorist sympathizer.

Not really. There's also being a kid.

Archived