Derby most likely will finish in top 6 this season.

Curtains

7 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Regarding Lowe if he is good enough he should already be good enough for DCFC.

I think he is good enough for us, but he's never a left-back in a million years, he can't defend because he lacks the positional nous required. He's another one being fitted into a position he doesn't suite. He's a left-sided midfielder.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Curtains said:

On the academy how much does it cost year on year. 

Regarding Lowe if he is good enough he should already be good enough for DCFC 

Only thing is he’s had lots of injuries which may be the thinking as regards getting him fit at Aberdeen but will he ever be good enough to play in the first team at Derby on a regular basis because he looked poor on his return to us. 

"On the academy how much does it cost year on year. "

The suggested budget is around £2.3 million per year but clubs don't have to stick to that. So a sale of an academy player like Hughes, Hendrick or Bogle should theoretically cover costs for a few years, but with how much Mel wants the academy to succeed it wouldn't surprise me if he's spending more than that.

"Regarding Lowe if he is good enough he should already be good enough for DCFC "

That's not how football works though, is it? Players can improve at any stage of their career given they work hard enough and manage to be lucky enough to find themselves in a team that utilises their strengths and a manager that trusts them. I mean, look at Roos .... he was struggling to make our bench and looked certain to be let go on a free. A Carson injury and a few appearances later and he's quite possibly made himself our new number 1 and will likely get a long new contract here if he chooses to accept it.

"Only thing is he’s had lots of injuries which may be the thinking as regards getting him fit at Aberdeen but will he ever be good enough to play in the first team at Derby on a regular basis because he looked poor on his return to us. "

The injuries are certainly a big concern, but we have to hope he ends up like Mason Bennett and can get past them and make himself a regular in our matchday 18. And you're quite right, he did look very poor on his return, but his return games were at home to Premier League Southampton and away to Leeds. Barely anyone looked good in those games.

13 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

"On the academy how much does it cost year on year. "

The suggested budget is around £2.3 million per year but clubs don't have to stick to that. So a sale of an academy player like Hughes, Hendrick or Bogle should theoretically cover costs for a few years, but with how much Mel wants the academy to succeed it wouldn't surprise me if he's spending more than that.

"Regarding Lowe if he is good enough he should already be good enough for DCFC "

That's not how football works though, is it? Players can improve at any stage of their career given they work hard enough and manage to be lucky enough to find themselves in a team that utilises their strengths and a manager that trusts them. I mean, look at Roos .... he was struggling to make our bench and looked certain to be let go on a free. A Carson injury and a few appearances later and he's quite possibly made himself our new number 1 and will likely get a long new contract here if he chooses to accept it.

"Only thing is he’s had lots of injuries which may be the thinking as regards getting him fit at Aberdeen but will he ever be good enough to play in the first team at Derby on a regular basis because he looked poor on his return to us. "

The injuries are certainly a big concern, but we have to hope he ends up like Mason Bennett and can get past them and make himself a regular in our matchday 18. And you're quite right, he did look very poor on his return, but his return games were at home to Premier League Southampton and away to Leeds. Barely anyone looked good in those games.

Regarding Mason Bennett who is one of our own will he ever be good enough .

He has had every chance .

Hendrick came with O, Brien from Ireland and both were already a decent age and brought in by NC and didnt  go the academy route of the likes of some of today’s academy players. 

Hughes and Bogle were successes.

2 to 3 million on the Derby academy per year would you say is accurate mate  

No doubt we have some good prospects but just how good we will have to wait and see. 

PS Roos is doing great ATM maybe Shay Given effect. 

12 minutes ago, KCG said:

I think he is good enough for us, but he's never a left-back in a million years, he can't defend because he lacks the positional nous required. He's another one being fitted into a position he doesn't suite. He's a left-sided midfielder.

We seem to have played him at LB and that’s where he is paying for Aberdeen 

2 hours ago, Doodle said:

I think top 2 is beyond us but top 6 easily achievable. We need to oust Boro or Bristol in my opinion. We can’t afford many injuries tho. Without Marriott and Mount we’ve looked lacklustre going forward and if Keogh and/or Tomori  get injured we will struggle to make top 6. 

I wouldn't say top 6 is EASILY achievable. 

Just now, Curtains said:

Have you seen Bristol City’s fixtures 

Tough run in indeed. Dangerous game pinning your hopes on a bit of paper though. Have you seen how they're playing? 

Wasn't it 24th vs 7th last Wednesday? Didn't really mean much in the end did it. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Tough run in indeed. Dangerous game pinning your hopes on a bit of paper though. Have you seen how they're playing? 

Wasn't it 24th vs 7th last Wednesday? Didn't really mean much in the end did it. 

Totally agree its all if buts and maybes .The way were are playing away from home is nothing short of dreadful which makes Wednesday game massive we have just got to get 3 points,as the next two away games dont look promising,its the first time for a long time i dont fancy our chances at the red dogs

13 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Interested how you can come up with 7th .  What parameters do you put in your machine and what protocol are you using. 

Getting Mount and Marriott back and playing regularly will make a huge difference, as I believe King and Cole will.

We've shown ourselves to have a really strong first 11 but not too much in depth, so keeping everyone fit will be the key.

Do that, and top 6 is well achievable. 

I'm sure many will disagree but right now I think our strongest team is:

Roos

Bogle, Keogh, Tomori, Cole

Huddlestone, King, Mount 

Wilson

Marriott, Waghorn

I'd give Wilson a freer role and maybe interchange with Mount to play in behind the top 2. Marriott is also very adept at dropping in, which should allow a midfielder to go in behind him.

This doesn't give us too much width but then again I don't think we have the players to play with much width. Only Josefzoon on Saturday looked anything like a traditional wide player. Waghorn, Lawrence and Bennett certainly aren't. 

11 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Interested how you can come up with 7th .  What parameters do you put in your machine and what protocol are you using. 

It's just like every other predictor, you enter goals for both the home and away teams. Protocol? Just what I think may happen. Judging by my betting history I'm guessing 70% of it will be completely wrong. We'll probably win at Bristol City and Forest yet lose to Swansea and Blackburn if this season is anything to go by! 

2 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

It's just like every other predictor, you enter goals for both the home and away teams. Protocol? Just what I think may happen. Judging by my betting history I'm guessing 70% of it will be completely wrong. We'll probably win at Bristol City and Forest yet lose to Swansea and Blackburn if this season is anything to go by! 

To be honest mate not sure  ......     world football .net ...can be accurate as most bookies would be out of business.

Im just joshing with you about this but I see Derby finishing above Bristol but who knows. 

6 hours ago, JoeDerby said:

We do have a great chance, but I'm sure the 6 clubs above us think the same about their chances too.

We have to show more than in recent weeks, we have had our dip now and our form needs to pick up. Hopefully we can string a few results together and beat the scum during that run..

The huge lack of consistency is what's worrying, we look like an amazing well gelled team one week and then look like 11 players that have never played together the week after.

We're still yet to find the right balance and our best eleven which hopefully Frank will find next year.

Top 6 would be nice, but what i'd prefer more is a much more balanced consistent team next season, battling for the top 2, we aren't ready for promotion yet and if anything going up this season, could be more harm than good!  

half the team will possibly gone at the end of the season either due to bring loanees or out of contract. So going up would be ideal,being able to rebuild the squad with money available from the prem,

I still feel optimistic about the rest of our season despite the resent slump. We've already played 40 games - equal to the maximum amount Huddersfield and Cardiff will play this season! We've suffered from a bit of fatigue and a number of injuries as a result of playing so many games. But, players will be regaining match fitness and/or returning from injury over the coming weeks, so I'd imagine our results to pick up too. Marriott, Mount and Lawrence are all key pieces to our desired high pressing style. Just having Mount on the pitch creates so much more space for others on the pitch.

• Carson, Mount, Lawrence all to return after injuries
  • Bennett, Marriott, King, Cole slowly gaining match fitness
  • Wilson will regain his good form

Archived