Derby most likely will finish in top 6 this season.

Curtains

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think top 6 is achievable and I think we would have a good chance in the playoffs providing:

1) we have some luck with injuries for once

2) Lampard is able to find his best 11 and we see some consistency with team selections.

3) We see a winning run of games, 3 or 4 wins on the trot would really see the players confidence lift.

If we can get Cole at left back, King, Huddlestone and Mount in the same midfield, Waghorn and Wilson on the wings and Marriott up front then we have a very good chance.

1 minute ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I still think top 6 is achievable and I think we would have a good chance in the playoffs providing:

1) we have some luck with injuries for once

2) Lampard is able to find his best 11 and we see some consistency with team selections.

3) We see a winning run of games, 3 or 4 wins on the trot would really see the players confidence lift.

If we can get Cole at left back, King, Huddlestone and Mount in the same midfield, Waghorn and Wilson on the wings and Marriott up front then we have a very good chance.

Plus future fixtures favour Derby. 

We do have a great chance, but I'm sure the 6 clubs above us think the same about their chances too.

We have to show more than in recent weeks, we have had our dip now and our form needs to pick up. Hopefully we can string a few results together and beat the scum during that run..

The huge lack of consistency is what's worrying, we look like an amazing well gelled team one week and then look like 11 players that have never played together the week after.

We're still yet to find the right balance and our best eleven which hopefully Frank will find next year.

Top 6 would be nice, but what i'd prefer more is a much more balanced consistent team next season, battling for the top 2, we aren't ready for promotion yet and if anything going up this season, could be more harm than good!  

I think top 2 is beyond us but top 6 easily achievable. We need to oust Boro or Bristol in my opinion. We can’t afford many injuries tho. Without Marriott and Mount we’ve looked lacklustre going forward and if Keogh and/or Tomori  get injured we will struggle to make top 6. 

I'm not so confident now. It's reversed from what I expected

I expected us to play fairly well but on occasion show naivety. To maybe show poor game management here and there.

That was the case. But in recent months I think it's been mostly naivety and poor game management and instead it's been on the odd occasion where we've played well. 

There's season long issues with no signs of improvement. We still don't know our best team. 

I think we'll just miss out. I can live with that though. Didn't really expect top 6. Just hoped for it. It's a decent first season for Lampard even if we miss out. I'd expect to see improvement next season. 

If we get promoted then it's going to take a wake up call. My biggest moan is that we are moving away from how we set out. But it's fair to say we've played a lot of games and are coming through winter

6 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I expected us to play fairly well but on occasion show naivety. To maybe show poor game management here and there.

That was the case. But in recent months I think it's been mostly naivety and poor game management and instead it's been on the odd occasion where we've played well. 

There's season long issues with no signs of improvement. We still don't know our best team. 

I think we'll just miss out. I can live with that though. Didn't really expect top 6. Just hoped for it. It's a decent first season for Lampard even if we miss out. I'd expect to see improvement next season. 

If we get promoted then it's going to take a wake up call. My biggest moan is that we are moving away from how we set out. But it's fair to say we've played a lot of games and are coming through winter

Either way next season is a test with players out of contract and loan players going back maybe. 

Has the academy really produced enough for the first team other than Bogle who has been brilliant . 

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

Still have massive chance of top 6 IMO 

Just need a bit of luck and things to go our way. 

Nowt to do with luck pal, hard work on the training ground and start to put some performances together. That'll get us a place. 

31 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Either way next season is a test with players out of contract and loan players going back maybe. 

Has the academy really produced enough for the first team other than Bogle who has been brilliant . 

Yes, in my opinion. I think a rate of 1-2 players coming through into the first team squad a season would be fantastic. I just can't see us being able to bring through a group of them all at once and still be able to compete for the play offs. We've made a fair bit of money from the Hendrick and Hughes sales and I think it's fair to say Bogle would bring in a huge fee if he's sold anytime soon. We've got Lowe and Thomas to return who will surely replace the likes of Cole and Wilson next season and with so many midfielders out of contract, it wouldn't surprise me to see Bird take 1 of their spots

We gained category 1 status in 2014, have brought in around £20 million from the sales of academy products, will likely have Bogle, Lowe, Bennett, Thomas and Bird with the first team next season and our u23s and u18s are both just a couple of points off the top of the league despite key players being out on loan. Minus the blip while Rowett was here, I'd say the academy is doing a brilliant job up to now

55 minutes ago, Curtains said:

We have a lot of young players of similar age and ability.

its still too hard to predict who might break through, and who could go the same way as vernam, guy, rawson and hanson.

Its starting to look as if elsnik and gordon might be falling short and Mitchell-Lawson could be the next one to get a chance.

If we beat Millwall weds then the 2 away games vs Forest & Villa are huge as if we dont lose either of them we will have a big enough gap as well as a game in hand over them both - we also have 4 home matches straight after now Swansea away is being re-arranged. Cant see Brum having enough to close the gap.

Personally I think top 4 will rotate positions between them, then its us Boro & Bristol for 5th & 6th - our fixtures favour us plus with Bristol 2nd to last game, that could be a huge game

30 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Yes, in my opinion. I think a rate of 1-2 players coming through into the first team squad a season would be fantastic. I just can't see us being able to bring through a group of them all at once and still be able to compete for the play offs. We've made a fair bit of money from the Hendrick and Hughes sales and I think it's fair to say Bogle would bring in a huge fee if he's sold anytime soon. We've got Lowe and Thomas to return who will surely replace the likes of Cole and Wilson next season and with so many midfielders out of contract, it wouldn't surprise me to see Bird take 1 of their spots

We gained category 1 status in 2014, have brought in around £20 million from the sales of academy products, will likely have Bogle, Lowe, Bennett, Thomas and Bird with the first team next season and our u23s and u18s are both just a couple of points off the top of the league despite key players being out on loan. Minus the blip while Rowett was here, I'd say the academy is doing a brilliant job up to now

Just on Lowe. 

Why was he not kept at Derby in January because if he’s good enough I just don’t get the Ashley Cole signing. 

PS How much does the academy cost to run season on season. 

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

Just on Lowe. 

Why was he not kept at Derby in January because if he’s good enough I just don’t get the Ashley Cole signing. 

Because he said himself he wanted to spend the rest of the season at Aberdeen because he was in good form for them and was enjoying himself. We brought him back because of the left back injuries, found a suitable replacement who can do a job until the end of the season but not block Lowe's path into the first team from next season onwards and then let him go back to Aberdeen as he wished 

1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

Because he said himself he wanted to spend the rest of the season at Aberdeen because he was in good form for them and was enjoying himself. We brought him back because of the left back injuries, found a suitable replacement who can do a job until the end of the season but not block Lowe's path into the first team from next season onwards and then let him go back to Aberdeen as he wished 

On the academy how much does it cost year on year. 

Regarding Lowe if he is good enough he should already be good enough for DCFC 

Only thing is he’s had lots of injuries which may be the thinking as regards getting him fit at Aberdeen but will he ever be good enough to play in the first team at Derby on a regular basis because he looked poor on his return to us. 

25 minutes ago, RamNut said:

We have a lot of young players of similar age and ability.

its still too hard to predict who might break through, and who could go the same way as vernam, guy, rawson and hanson.

Its starting to look as if elsnik and gordon might be falling short and Mitchell-Lawson could be the next one to get a chance.

Don't forget Louie Sibley and Kyle McAllister! 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Have we ever improved over the course of a season since 13/14? Aside from brief glimmers under Clement and McClaren V2 (neither of which saw a corresponding improvement in style of play), I think not. Bit depressing when you think about it. 

Archived