Changing players' performance during a game.

WestKentRam

Having watched the last couple of games, and reading FL's post-match comments, it's got me pondering about how and whether a manager can influence how players play during the match.

FL said the first and second half at Brighton were like chalk and cheese, and we were too passive without urgency in the first half then he changed things. Rather than wait for the first half to play out and then be 2 goals down before he changes things, can't things be done earlier? Ipswich was similar, with a last quarter mad rush to try and win the game and we ran out of time.

My humble suggestion is that the captain should actually have a proper role and be the one who takes on the manager's messages during the game and relays them to the other players, rather than the manager being passive himself during the match and only seeming to change things at half time. We seem to start off slowly and only get going when it's too late. FL says this in interviews. If the players appear to recognise it when told so later in the game by the manager, can't he tell them after the first 5 mins to step it up!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, WestKentRam said:

Having watched the last couple of games, and reading FL's post-match comments, it's got me pondering about how and whether a manager can influence how players play during the match.

FL said the first and second half at Brighton were like chalk and cheese, and we were too passive without urgency in the first half then he changed things. Rather than wait for the first half to play out and then be 2 goals down before he changes things, can't things be done earlier? Ipswich was similar, with a last quarter mad rush to try and win the game and we ran out of time.

My humble suggestion is that the captain should actually have a proper role and be the one who takes on the manager's messages during the game and relays them to the other players, rather than the manager being passive himself during the match and only seeming to change things at half time. We seem to start off slowly and only get going when it's too late. FL says this in interviews. If the players appear to recognise it when told so later in the game by the manager, can't he tell them after the first 5 mins to step it up!

Why aren't they listening 5 mins before they step out? 

You really think Managers and coaching staff just stand there “passive” in silence on the touchlines? They’re constantly giving out instructions and encouragement.

Even if you think they don’t, are you suggesting the best option is for the Manager to use the captain as a proxy, whispering only in his ear instructions to give the rest of the team? Is that what’s going to improve performances?

16 minutes ago, WestKentRam said:

The players shouldn’t need reminding not to be passive. From minute 1 they should be giving it everything and not waiting for a half time reminder. I really don’t understand why we seem to wait until we’re losing or running out of time until it’s full steam ahead.

15 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

The players shouldn’t need reminding not to be passive. From minute 1 they should be giving it everything and not waiting for a half time reminder. I really don’t understand why we seem to wait until we’re losing or running out of time until it’s full steam ahead.

I don't get this either. We looked really good when going for it at Ipswich and Brighton. Why we can't do this from the start instead of all this passing  across the back nonsense is doing my head in.

3 minutes ago, WestKentRam said:

I don't get this either. We looked really good when going for it at Ipswich and Brighton. Why we can't do this from the start instead of all this passing  across the back nonsense is doing my head in.

You'll get in trouble saying that on here  That passing across the back is drawing the opposition out..

1 minute ago, Remy the hare said:

You'll get in trouble saying that on here  That passing across the back is drawing the opposition out..

Yeah right....

2 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

Oh, now I see the point of it. I thought it was to draw a mistake out of us so we go a goal or two behind and then get the impetus to go forward.

We just look so good when attacking my feeble non-tactical brain doesn't understand why we don't try and do this for the majority of the game rather than last gasp 5-10 min spells.

12 minutes ago, WestKentRam said:

I don’t even mind the passing along the back too much (although there’s times it seems for the sake of it - but not always) but the lack of options presented by the midfield is stalling progress. This is turn is creating some of our interia and slow or less intense play. 

When we chased the game v Ipswich and Brighton it was fairly energetic and exciting but the remaining 150 minutes was dreadful.

The game v Milwall will tell us a lot. Will we go for it or are we endemically slow, steady and not at it?

Surely there must be a positive reaction.

Against hull (?) In the first half we had tomori to holmes (messes up and gets caught in possession)....grosicki hits the post.......shortly followed by.....Holmes to tomori to holmes to tomori to holmes.

I'm afraid i used an expletive at that point.

One of the big changes was having Cole bark instructions across the pitch.

If you watch Brighton's first goal it is a total mess.

Malone elects to come inside to join two colleagues  who are marking one man, leaving ample time for the cross. Holmes, who has jogged back then stops short of the box when he could take up a position to intercept the cross.

In the middle, three players are marking the centre forward  and no-one has picked up Knockaert.

I just hope Cole will be able to use his experience so we can adopt a better shape in such instances.

9 hours ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

The game v Milwall will tell us a lot. Will we go for it or are we endemically slow, steady and not at it?

I'm looking forward to seeing the reaction v Millwall as well. Can we take the good parts out of our play from the last few games and do that for a whole game, and then do this consistently each match. Of course it's not going to always happen, but teams pushing at the top can do this more often than not.

10 hours ago, cosmic said:

You really think Managers and coaching staff just stand there “passive” in silence on the touchlines? They’re constantly giving out instructions and encouragement.

Even if you think they don’t, are you suggesting the best option is for the Manager to use the captain as a proxy, whispering only in his ear instructions to give the rest of the team? Is that what’s going to improve performances?

Yes - we've seen what happens when the players have to "pass it on"!

I looked at a few away games since Xmas and weve played shockingly for duration's in most - Sheffield United, Norwich, Leeds, Accrington, Preston, Ipswich and Brighton. Only game i can say that we did okay in for 90 mins was Southampton. It seems to me that we set up differently away from home, we drop deep and are slow in transition. No one looks interested or bothered to make a run or be an option for a pass. When we were playing at WBA and Boro we pressed and played quick football, We dont look like a side that knows what to do, Press or no press? Sit back or push up? and while were stuck in between we look embarrassingly poor. The players dont help the situation senior pros like Bryson and Huddlestone who are playing in midfield which is a massive role for how we play shy away from any responsibility. Both let us down on Saturday as did others but those 2 more so, Huddlestone for the second goal was really poor and his overall passing ability and speed was below par. And Bryson just wondered about and strolled back into position at times, showing no quality or desire to get on the ball. Cole was a bright spark as was Marriott and Zoon when they came on we seemed to gain confidence and believe in ourselves. Need to make changes on Wednesday to get the balance right.

11 hours ago, cosmic said:

I must admit I don't spend the whole match staring at the dugout, but when I do look over I can't recall seeing much animation with obvious instructions to players during the game.

During a break in play the captain could get a simple message from the manager to relay to his team mates, to try and improve 'chalk and cheese' performances otherwise.

My issue is large tracts of play being poor, then a too-late improvement, with FL's post match interviews recognising this. It would be good if the performance could be changed in match somehow, sooner rather than later.

Archived