Passion

Big Trav

I was just rewatching some of the clips from this season and realised that this season compared to last the players seem to care. The players look deflated when we lose and are so happy when we win. Even the loan players tomori especially when he scored against Norwich. Could this get us through the usual wobble we have around this time?  The most passionate players are keogh tomori Roos and marriott. Thoughts??

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

I was just rewatching some of the clips from this season and realised that this season compared to last the players seem to care. The players look deflated when we lose and are so happy when we win. Even the loan players tomori especially when he scored against Norwich. Could this get us through the usual wobble we have around this time?  The most passionate players are keogh tomori Roos and marriott. Thoughts??

Not sure the desire to win is any different to last season. I'd put the change down to more of a belief in how they're told to go out and play but that has to be backed up by confidence in your own ability and trust in your team mates. We've had spells in games which shows potential but as can be expected with a relatively young squad, that confidence can ebb away quickly and then it's all to easy to resort to safety first.

We need 2 or 3 good performances on the trot to restore that vital ingredient but hard to see that coming any time soon.

14 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

We need a few more reactions like Cole's after he scored.

3 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

There also seems to be far more unity between the players too. They genuinely come across like they spend plenty of time together off the training ground and pitch too. 

Pity they looked like they had never met before ON the training ground or pitch over the last 2 games 

I don't think it's passion or effort we're lacking, that's there in abundance. That only gets you so far though. 

The past two games we've just not performed. Individually and as a team, there's been no application of anybody's ability on a consistent basis. Our decision making has been terrible, worryingly from our experienced players and that's spreading down to the younger lads. I can kinda get over Bogle not taking a touch and blazing his cross into row Z after being fed through from Huddlestone, he's a kid still learning his trade. It's stuff like Nugent and Bryson trying shots from ridiculous angles/positions when a pass is on or Huddlestone messing around on the ball on the edge of the 18 under pressure that's not acceptable. They should be setting an example. 

Until we start playing as a team again we'll keep the disjointed performances coming. I thought we'd turned a corner with the Hull game but we've dropped so far from that standard in the space of a week. Hopefully we can pick it back up again on Wednesday. 

I have lost plenty of games over the years, nothing to do with passion or putting the effort in, unfortunately there are two sides trying to win a game of football, shame they don’t just roll over and let us win isn’t it ?

7th in the league, beat some big names this and some fans question the effort being put in, I know every club has idiotic fans but the statement is just balls, lack of quality maybe, mistakes by the manager learning his trade maybe, teams playing better than us on occasions yes, other teams also trying to win a football match yes, lack of confidence maybe, lack of effort or passion....get a grip.

I don't know about measuring passion, but I find watching this team quite interesting. For example, the Brighton and Southampton games where we were truly truly awful in the first half, and much of the second, then score - and suddenly we're three times the team. It's happened similarly in the league too although earlier in the season.

I've not seen a team who can look this utter turgid, and then dominant, at the flick of a switch. 

There are games we've been crushed, like away at Leeds, where I feel like if we'd scored some fluke goal halfway through the second half we'd have gone on to win the game. Despite not even getting close to deserving it.

16 hours ago, Big Trav said:

If you watch games like Cardiff at home etc from last season, you can't accuse last season's team of not caring. 

I don't doubt for a second that they care, but we have had halves of football this season rightly or wrongly, mostly wrongly where I've been watching and questioning are they bothered, wanting to poke them with a stick and say do something.

Not often, but it has happened.

We see them in privileged positions being paid thousands each week for the club we've loved for years.

I'm a 36 year old man that still hopes one day he will play for Derby, I would give anything to go out on that pitch and rip my shirt off in celebration revealing my pigeon chest and excess belly skin from a previous beer belly which I've not been bothered to tone up despite wanting a contract.

I'm fully fit again having pulled my groin before playing from the sofa, ball got whipped in and I swung for it narrowly missing the dog and struggled to walk for the next 3 days. True story.  

Consider myself to be a patient fan, more patient than most on here, but I'm not immune from frustration when things are not happening, I'm guilty of not giving the opposition credit and credit is what Hughton and the Brighton team deserved for the first half on Saturday.

As AdamRam said earlier, we sort of expect teams to roll over for us, Ipswich on Wednesday bottom of the league, ahh that will be easy, they are not bothered thats why they are bottom, wrong.

I understand the comment of "the league is unpredictable and it wont be a s easy as it should be", but if you look at Norwich away on Saturday at Bolton they won 4-0? this is because they stick to there tactics and play there game - At this point in the season we would go there and struggle i guarantee it. For me its a little about passion and confidence but more about stamping your authority on the game from the first minute and playing OUR way the DERBY way. Looking on to Forest which again could be a banana skin, i think we can win the game but if we pull a brighton/ipswich/leeds/sheff u etc etc then we have no chance. As long as we turn up and play our style of football and the way that weve showed we can play then i have no problems losing to a better side, but not turning up for large parts of games and having one shot off target in 65 mins of football is unacceptable at any level. 

Archived