Christian Walton - Joined Blackburn

DCFC1388

8 hours ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

Definite first team wingers- lawrence - (he has not got the vision to play cam) he can do things through the middle but that’s as part of a fluid attack line to lose his marker

zoon- never really been proven one way or the other so why not, was rated at Brentford, lampard wanted him and so did bielsa...

Unlikely to leave so likely to come in from the cold- Anya - again why not... a decent player there and clearly has/had it. I think rumours of attitude or other things have swayed fans opinions about his ability. Scored in the friendly and it’s more feasible than Martin making it fully back in contention

Players debatably stronger in this position- Bennett- some of the assists he provided were valuable from wide last season and I don’t see him having the quality or goal scoring ability to play the striker role in a 433. With his pace he has the attributes to do well wide (not a traditional winger, more an inside forward) and his goal rate would mirror this.

Waghorn- I think his best role if the team is built around him is up front, but he isn’t our best player or even our best striker in my opinion (marriott). With marriotts pace to get in behind we saw last season waghorn could be more valuable than a pacey winger because he can win those flick ons to get marriott behind the defence.

holmes- assuming dowell will be a first man on the team sheet as cocus first signing and he will have loan clauses about playing. Does dowell, shinnie and Holmes as a midfield 3 lack the defensive physicality? Alternatively it will be Evans/huddlestone and 2 of shinnie, dowell and Holmes. Can see him pushed out wide where he looked capable last season as it doesn’t matter where he plays he just offers a great outlet to take the ball and drive forward.

youngsters- realistically we aren’t going to integrate 3 cms this season so I disagree looks like bird and knight by the training camp (and they look like different players). Not sure you could integrate Knight and sibley together this season if ever at championship level...

JML- very brief first team appearance but he didn’t run and hide and offers some direct, fast and explosive runs. Don’t see why he wouldn’t be given more of a chance this year and why would you want to block that path/opportunity.

other players- mcallister, Whittaker?

I personally am most excited from what I’ve seen of the academy by tyree Wilson. Got an eye for goal and pace. Looking at how he pays and his build I doubt he would make it as a championship striker (I think he would get bullied by the cbs in this league). I think he would do well in one of the wide roles of the 3. Reminds me a bit of Callum robinson in his first season for pne before we were firstbassociated/rumoured with him.

Nice write up. Still leaves me thinking we only have Josefzoon & Mitchell-Lawson as a genuine winger. Maybe McAllister, but his absence from Florida suggests he’s not in the plans. 

The rest are as you say, perhaps not good enough to play through the middle so let’s stick them on the wing.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Nice write up. Still leaves me thinking we only have Josefzoon & Mitchell-Lawson as a genuine winger. Maybe McAllister, but his absence from Florida suggests he’s not in the plans. 

The rest are as you say, perhaps not good enough to play through the middle so let’s stick them on the wing.

I don't think McAllister played in the under 23s match this week so perhaps he's injured again. Maybe his absence from the States is due to injury rather than choice. 

21 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Nixon suggesting today that Walton would cost around £3m and that we are still keen.

He also reiterated again that Brighton were keen on Bogle and might look for some kind of swap deal.

Am I the only one who thinks these days the longer a rumour goes on the less likely it is we're actually interested?

I feel like since Rush left Morris has been doing everything behind closed doors - Most of our signings suddenly pop up from nowhere 2 days before we sign them - Even the last 2 managers that's happened

I feel like there was a short saga with Waggers because of the rumoured 3-way-switch but other than that I feel like 2 days is the longest we've had between first rumour and signing - So I assume anything that rolls on like this must be paper talk - Especially since we were linked with Walton pre-Cocu and the chances of him happening to want the same players with zero chance to scout them seems unlikely to me

1 hour ago, jimbo jones said:

Sorry but to me that's a worrying attitude, and one a few of our managers have had, hopefully PC will get/buy/loan players and play them where they naturally fit rather than square ish pegs in round ish holes? 

Onwards and upwards ?

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

I don't think McAllister played in the under 23s match this week so perhaps he's injured again. Maybe his absence from the States is due to injury rather than choice. 

Did notice that, injured or leaving on loan again. I’m hoping a not serious injury as I would like to see him given a chance during pre season. 

56 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Am I the only one who thinks these days the longer a rumour goes on the less likely it is we're actually interested?

I feel like since Rush left Morris has been doing everything behind closed doors - Most of our signings suddenly pop up from nowhere 2 days before we sign them - Even the last 2 managers that's happened

I feel like there was a short saga with Waggers because of the rumoured 3-way-switch but other than that I feel like 2 days is the longest we've had between first rumour and signing - So I assume anything that rolls on like this must be paper talk - Especially since we were linked with Walton pre-Cocu and the chances of him happening to want the same players with zero chance to scout them seems unlikely to me

There was also Marriott that seemed to take a while. 

3 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

Harsh.... think its a big year for Lawrence and Anya before they've written off their success before joining us as fluke and is seen as a very average championship winger/not worth their price tag. They've both always been seen most prominently as wingers so not a square peg.

I am not a fan of having too many traditional chalk on your boots wingers, I think full backs are better now 1 v 1 and Shearer type strikers who will score 10+ headers a season are very rare! Even the really tall ones don't, which renders a player who is great at getting to the touchline and crossing redundant. Don't think it was helped by 442 being abandoned by most clubs (having two strikers in the box) and 433 coming to prominence where the winger is required to get in behind the striker and their finishing ability, be a treat cutting inside and ghosting in at the far post are also judged critically. It does mean more full backs who push on a little bit higher to get into those traditional winger positions when a winger steps inside and creates space. The end of 442 has also seen the amount of Michael Owen/Emile Heskey (little and large) type strikers massively reduce as strikers have to be the best of both now. 

At the end of the day there's only 2 places up for grabs and I have listed 6 first team players and 4 academy products capable of filling them. I think it gives us a range of options tactically. Like I said if the right winger came up (an Adomah- in his prime athletic wide player who scares full backs) was available even if you had 50 options you would snap them up because they are almost priceless. Is it a priority position we are in desperate need of... not for me at all.

Archived