Rams with and without Huddlestone starting

admira

2 hours ago, Smyth_18 said:

How is not getting Thorne fit our, or his for that matter, error?

He has complex injuries that probably can't be fixed.

well hes away on loan playing for another club so thats clearly not the case....

thorne was brought up to fitness in the under 23's but left out of the first team squad by frank which was an error in my opinion as without a similar midfielder being brought in,we have been left without a suitable replacement for hudders when required.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

well hes away on loan playing for another club so thats clearly not the case....

thorne was brought up to fitness in the under 23's but left out of the first team squad by frank which was an error in my opinion as without a similar midfielder being brought in,we have been left without a suitable replacement for hudders when required.

You’re being a bit generous with “playing” Luton have had 7 games since he joined, came off the bench in one game played 21 minutes.

5 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

ok but hes not suffering from ''complex injuries'' if hes on the bench available to play either...

I think he meant his complex injuries mean that he's been unable to get fully match fit, and 21 minutes in 7 games at a league one side suggests that might be the case.

24 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I think the problem has been that Evans was meant to come in and be no. 1, who then got injured in his first game which has had a big impact on his season and how he’s being used.

3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

But we don’t need energy, we need someone with some bleeding composure that isn’t like a wild dog been let free. There’s Plenty of good midfielders in the championship, but none in Huddlestones role who are better than him

I think we need someone with a combination of both. You're right, we don't need any headless chickens but we might need someone who's perhaps a little more mobile than Hudds. I know they're not easy to find or cheap but I suspect they don't all play in the prem.

Don't get me wrong, I like Hudds (but perhaps not quite as much as you do) but we might need someone a little better who can somehow conjure up the right balance between movement, composure and a sense of urgency when required. Simples.  

Last night just seemed like an obvious opportinity to start Hudds. Ipswich were a young team low on confidence, leaking goals and finding them hard to score.

Tom bossing the midfield and spraying his trademark pinpoint crosses to our quick attackers would have surely resulted in more chances or goals. 

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I think we need someone with a combination of both. You're right, we don't need any headless chickens but we might need someone who's perhaps a little more mobile than Hudds. I know they're not easy to find or cheap but I suspect they don't all play in the prem.

Don't get me wrong, I like Hudds (but perhaps not quite as much as you do) but we might need someone a little better who can somehow conjure up the right balance between movement, composure and a sense of urgency when required. Simples.  

Fair enough mate, I don’t agree but that’s your opinion. Obviously in an ideal world every player would have the right balance between everything, but in reality just having a team that has the right balance of everything is good enough. I think there are far greater priorities than a mobile defensive mid when we already have a passer as good as Hudds, like some actual central midfielders who can retain possesion and create something, and some forwards who aren’t brain dead when they get in the final third.

3 minutes ago, admira said:

Last night just seemed like an obvious opportinity to start Hudds. Ipswich were a young team low on confidence, leaking goals and finding them hard to score.

Tom bossing the midfield and spraying his trademark pinpoint crosses to our quick attackers would have surely resulted in more chances or goals. 

I wonder whether if he had played and he was below par on Saturday, how many would be moaning about him playing last night 

30 minutes ago, Spanish said:

I wonder whether if he had played and he was below par on Saturday, how many would be moaning about him playing last night 

Not me he was the best player on the pitch Saturday.  should have played league is more important than the cup 

5 hours ago, David said:

Just looking at Huddlestone’s appearances over the years, the 46 games we got out of him last season was the most he’s played in a season in the last 10 years. 

No great surprise having spent most of his career in the Premier League with less games to play, we’re asking a lot out of an aging player to recover for the midweek games in the Championship, the season Hull came down he only started 27.

Did last season hit the legs hard? Did he have another full Championship season in his legs? Are midweek games too much? 

Not knocking Tom, we’re a better team with him in, but the above questions are valid and worth consideration.

88309C28-749F-4BF3-8FE6-CC1A3F9C2EC5.jpeg

But why be on the bench then? If you're going to rest him, don't even send him to Ipswich - let him watch on RAMSTV.

Johnson gets injured in the first five minutes - who comes on then as obviously Hudds isn't fit enough?

Also - when Lampard himself states his intention is to play a passing game, side to side, retain the ball, create the openings and then attack from here - how the hell does playing Bradley Johnson work into this scenario.

And before anyway says that Ipswich are a physical team - we were 6th, they're bottom, whatever style they try and employ, ours is better. Don't drop to it.

I'm sorry but his decision making to play Johnson backfired at Stoke and failed again last night.

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

One thing is for certain; he wouldn't have been allowed the space and time on the ball last night that Hull gave him.

32 minutes ago, rammieib said:

But why be on the bench then? If you're going to rest him, don't even send him to Ipswich - let him watch on RAMSTV.

Seen this point on a few threads. The team have travelled as a unit for the two games and are going straight down to the Brighton area from Ipswich (not sure if that was today or tomorrow. )

I think Frank alluded to this earlier in the week when he said both Lawrence and Marriott would be travelling with the squad, whether they were involved last night or not. 

I then assume this is the reason that Huddlestone was on the bench last night, as he would have been there with the squad anyway. 

4 minutes ago, angieram said:

One thing is for certain; he wouldn't have been allowed the space and time on the ball last night that Hull gave him.

It was chocker in midfield but I feel Hudds  ‘creates space’ for both himself and others, in turn dictating the pace of the game. Granted, not every game. Hope he plays on Saturday. 

People talk about him like he's 40, he's 32. I know they play different positions but he's the same ages a Keogh. We just assume he can't play 2 games in 3/4 days but he's a professional athlete. Being slow doesn't necessarily mean unfit. Even if fitness/age is an issue i'd rather start him then bring him off when he's tired. His passing range is so important to dictating the flow and getting a foothold in the game, whereas in the last few minutes we might be better off with a more aggressive ball winner to see it out. 

Archived