Yorkshire/Nottinghamshire Possible House Move Help

David

We’re looking into moving, a job opportunity for the other half is coming up in Doncaster which she is pretty much next in line for if she fancies it. It’s 52 miles away, a bit too far to travel as I would be left to make my own breakfast and dinner with what would be an hour, hour twenty in rush hour 5 times a week.

Neither of us fancy living in Doncaster itself if possible or the likes of Scunthorpe and Rotherham, but we’re looking to try and stay within a half hour commute and around an hour from the east coast to visit family and friends easily, this would also cut the distance to Derby in half as well which would be handy!

Plenty of little villages and small towns around but house prices seem to be a little out our reach from what we’ve looked at, this is likely to be the sticking point as we’re only peasants so £140k ish would be absolute maximum budget, minimum 2 bed although 3 bed would be better for when we decide to clone myself.

We’re in a new build now, first owners and all very modern, first home and that would be a bit of a wrench to leave so we need something to love just the same with minimal DIY needed. 

Despite peoples views of my current location I actually live in quite a nice area, one where you don’t need to carry a weapon to walk to the shop for milk, even left our boot wide open one night and still had a car radio in the morning.

Not particularly fussy about needs, corner shop, supermarket and a hairdresser within reach will set us up nicely, and that’s all we want, somewhere nice and in the right location location location.

Like I say it’s probably the houses prices that will make this all a complete no go, but if there’s any hidden areas we should look at, appreciate the help.

Won’t have a huge amount of time to decide if she goes for it or not, but we’ve said travelling temporarily is ok as long as we can highlight an area we want to move to, with it even taking a year for somewhere to pop up.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, David said:

We’re looking into moving, a job opportunity for the other half is coming up in Doncaster which she is pretty much next in line for if she fancies it. It’s 52 miles away, a bit too far to travel as I would be left to make my own breakfast and dinner with what would be an hour, hour twenty in rush hour 5 times a week.

Neither of us fancy living in Doncaster itself if possible or the likes of Scunthorpe and Rotherham, but we’re looking to try and stay within a half hour commute and around an hour from the east coast to visit family and friends easily, this would also cut the distance to Derby in half as well which would be handy!

Plenty of little villages and small towns around but house prices seem to be a little out our reach from what we’ve looked at, this is likely to be the sticking point as we’re only peasants so £140k ish would be absolute maximum budget, minimum 2 bed although 3 bed would be better for when we decide to clone myself.

We’re in a new build now, first owners and all very modern, first home and that would be a bit of a wrench to leave so we need something to love just the same with minimal DIY needed. 

Despite peoples views of my current location I actually live in quite a nice area, one where you don’t need to carry a weapon to walk to the shop for milk, even left our boot wide open one night and still had a car radio in the morning.

Not particularly fussy about needs, corner shop, supermarket and a hairdresser within reach will set us up nicely, and that’s all we want, somewhere nice and in the right location location location.

Like I say it’s probably the houses prices that will make this all a complete no go, but if there’s any hidden areas we should look at, appreciate the help.

Won’t have a huge amount of time to decide if she goes for it or not, but we’ve said travelling temporarily is ok as long as we can highlight an area we want to move to, with it even taking a year for somewhere to pop up.

Is this the same minimal DIY that had your kitchen dismantled via the internet one night?

17 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I think I’ve added value to your old place with that magic socket I installed.

I hope the estate agent highlights it in the sales blurb.

That's another reason he wants a move, toaster keeps tripping , fuse wire ain't cheap ya know. 

36 minutes ago, David said:

Can you really get away with saying this?

19 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Why don't you fancy Donny Dave? 

About an hour to get to Derby, not too bad. London on the train in an hour and half. Sheff and Leeds a stone throw away. There's some nice little villages dotted around it which are reasonably priced. 

On par with Grimsby, I’ve moved since you came up and on the outskirts of now, that’s what we fancy again somewhere just out of town but within reach, as a Derby example Little Eaton, Morley (location wise)

Archived