Fans leaving early

Chris Smedley

40 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Agree. It starts at 75 mins.

How many villa fans had left last week at 3-0?

I know some people have reasons but that surely must be the minority. Its early evening Saturday, it can't be that important to get home to catch the second half of pointless celebrities.

Probably as many Villa fans left as Derby fans would have. Said it so many times before, I really don't think our fans are any better or worse than the majority of others. 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

I must admit I leave early on around 85mins normally to skip the traffic amd jog to the car, I normally get home by 5 to 5. I normally sit in the south stand but yesterday sat in the North Stand due to my son being mascot, I stayed for the whole game and walked to the car, took me over a hour longer to get home - amazing what a difference 5-10mins makes to the traffic!

You pay your money and you take your choice but, is it really that bad getting home around 6 instead of 5 to 5?

I have no idea where you live but, if it normally only takes you 15 minutes to jog to your car and drive home (assuming you leave at about 4:40 and are home by (4:55) then I guess it's not far. I know getting away from PP isn't easy but, I never leave my seat before the final whistle, I walk swiftly (not jog) to my car and am hope in Tamworth by five past six. So, it could be worse.

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

I once had to go for an emergency poo early into a second half, and couldn't believe how many people were stood around watching the game in the concourse. 

You pay your money, you make your choice I guess.

53 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I was in the concourse watching the screens, (It was a bit nippy out!) when from out of nowhere, this bloke came dashing down the steps... 3 steps at a time!  He nearly came a cropper as he just about managed to skid and slide his way through the rapid left/right/left to enter the gents.  I honestly thought he was having a heart attack or something!

Anyway, being the caring type, I thought I'd better follow him in, to check he was ok/still alive... It soon became (very!) apparent that he was indeed alive, but I  presume he just needed an emergency poo!

...I've never stayed down in the concourse since..the smell was dreadful!. 

Sorry about that Mucker, I've never had a pre game railway Madras since.

Thanks for rolling the toilet paper under the door though, I'd still be there now if it wasn't for you.

You can't forcibly prevent people leaving early, but I'd be all for ensuring the screens in the concourses are off until after the final whistle. We're supporters. The team needs people getting behind them to the end and then a post-match bonding exercise between fans and players. Don't break that contract by leaving before full time.

I clap the players off, stadium basically empties and then I walk back to Alvaston park area, by about 5-25 I'm at my car and on my way home to Bucks.. Generally get home about 7-15. .. I don't get how people who live in Derby or surrounding areas are so desperate to get home ? 

We park about 20 minutes' walk away from ground so the traffic doesn't bother us. By the time we get back to the car it is clearing. 

Each to their own, I  suppose, but it does annoy me when I can't see the football for people queuing down the aisles to get out while we're still playing, though.

I think all clubs' fans are the same. I'm a STH at West Ham and they start leaving with about 10 minutes to go. If the Irons are losing with about 10 minutes left then it's a mad rush. Why?  Most fans go to the tube (Central Line or Jubilee, or Docklands Light Railway) at Stratford station and they run about every 3 minutes. 

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

You pay your money and you take your choice but, is it really that bad getting home around 6 instead of 5 to 5?

I have no idea where you live but, if it normally only takes you 15 minutes to jog to your car and drive home (assuming you leave at about 4:40 and are home by (4:55) then I guess it's not far. I know getting away from PP isn't easy but, I never leave my seat before the final whistle, I walk swiftly (not jog) to my car and am hope in Tamworth by five past six. So, it could be worse.

For the sake of 5mins or so id rather not have to sit in traffic for an hour. Plus im with my young boy who I like to get home at a decent time for his tea etc and on a more personal level I have 2 other kids who I like to see for a couple of hours (more than enough ?) before I get them to bed!!

11 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Probably as many Villa fans left as Derby fans would have. Said it so many times before, I really don't think our fans are any better or worse than the majority of others. 

No agree totally that was my point. Many would have left and missed the best part of the game.

13 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Cannot stand the sight of thousands of people streaming down the steps with five minutes to go. You pay for your ticket so you watch the game. If we're playing well or winning, the lads deserve to have their efforts acknowledged at the end.

On occasions I haven’t even ventured up for the second half, stay down watch it on the screens and have a few beers, not sure what harm that is doing to anyone ??

8 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

For the sake of 5mins or so id rather not have to sit in traffic for an hour. Plus im with my young boy who I like to get home at a decent time for his tea etc and on a more personal level I have 2 other kids who I like to see for a couple of hours (more than enough ?) before I get them to bed!!

Fair enough and, like I say, it's your choice. I do wonder though if you might benefit from parking somewhere different. I am genuinely back home in Tamworth (without speeding) by just after 6 and that includes queuing to get down from the upper level of the west stand, a ten minute swift walk to my car, stuck in a bit traffic by the old cattle market and driving 33 miles home.

Personally, and I know some folk have no choice, I'd hate the prospect of knowing I'm going to miss the last 5 minutes of every game (well, unless we're getting mauled in which case it might be a blessing) especially as, more often than not, the result is still uncertain. 

6 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Fair enough and, like I say, it's your choice. I do wonder though if you might benefit from parking somewhere different. I am genuinely back home in Tamworth (without speeding) by just after 6 and that includes queuing to get down from the upper level of the west stand, a ten minute swift walk to my car, stuck in a bit traffic by the old cattle market and driving 33 miles home.

Personally, and I know some folk have no choice, I'd hate the prospect of knowing I'm going to miss the last 5 minutes of every game (well, unless we're getting mauled in which case it might be a blessing) especially as, more often than not, the result is still uncertain. 

Traffic was queuing alot more this Saturday down chequers road by the Cattle Market, seemed to be a lot of cars coming from Cranmer Road (Behind Peugeot Dealer) which is a dead end , my guess is that the new parking charges instigated around the back of chequers road encouraged a lot of people to park in Cranmer road and walk the extra distance, so this would look set to continue

I must admit if we're winning and having put in a really good performance, I find it a little depressing seeing the stadium empty out in final 10 mins, but each to their own. 

Totally agree about switching the concourse screens off. If you're going, go. If you're staying, stay. The time you save by leaving your seat to watch in the concourse can be a couple of minutes at most?

I've left early a handful of times over the years, mostly because we're losing and I'm bored. I have missed the odd meaningless goal but never anything significant. Things like Villa last week are one-in-a-million kind of events and they can't really be used as some kind of norm. Yes they can happen, but statistically how often do they?

My preference(when we go)is to wait till everyone has gone and have a leisurely walk to the car,I’m even happy to wait around for an hour to let everyone clear off.

I have no issue with anyone leaving whenever they want,everyone’s got their own lives,they can do what they want.

It’s none of my business what they’re doing.

Of course it would be great to see everyone stay till the end.

If you leave when the players do it’s about perfect for getting away.

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I park at the Merlin which is pretty easy to get out of normally, Saturday it was at a standstill pretty much all the way down london road into town. With having a young lad I dont want to be walking any further than that. Im normally in the car by the time added time comes on so i only miss a couple of mins and listen to the rest.

When I wasnt able to drive I stayed to the end as there wasnt any need to leave early.

3 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

The team, perhaps?

Why?

I sit in an area that is not that vocal, when I’m in my seat I am supportive  throughout, away games I stay to the end however maybe miss a few minutes  at half time whilst I finish my beer.

The key though, is that I go for my enjoyment, not yours, my match day experience is for me, you may not like it, but to be honest and no offence, so what. I have had a season  ticket for so many years now, it doesn’t make me any more of a fan than the casual supporter. As I said, I’m at an age when I couldn’t give a toss what people think, for me it’s about having a laugh with the boys for the day, it’s a release from my worries and woes, if it upsets the super fans, oh well ?

Archived