Fans leaving early

Chris Smedley

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Chris Smedley said:

A lot of fans leave early presumable to watch the game in the concourse. I think it would be better if the TV's are turned off at 90 minutes to encourage fans to stay in the ground to the end. Jurgen Klopp asked Liverpool fans to do this to keep the support up to the end.

To take your argument to its logical conclusion why don't the same fans just stay in the concourse all match to watch the game there instead of just the end 

My brother's a bugger for it. Whenever I used to go with him he'd insist on driving, parking outside one of the industrial units then watching the clock till 85 mins. At 85 mins on the dot it's a sprint to the car to get moving before the traffic.

We're not the only idiots doing it either - outside pride park an 85min there's idiots sprinting away from it like a bombs gone off.

It's no different to those that go down early at half time to join the pie queue (I am one of those).  The amount of goals I have missed due to leaving early at half time, yesterday included.

I never leave early at the end of the game, rarely have I seen anything that made me glad I stayed.  I've seen some stinkers in injury time though.

Imagine the people who left Birmingham game 2 nil up, or those that left Rotherham 3 nil up, best decision they ever made.

The club need to work with the police to sort out the traffic after the game - that's the main reason people leave early (that and the farcical situation where the away fans are allowed out as soon as the whistle blows while the Derby fans are held up and aren't allowed to get to their cars via the North East corner car park entrance) - it's even worse at the moment as the Ascot Drive/Ozzie Road roadworks are snarling up everything in the area and adding huge delays to the traffic trying to leave Pride Park in that direction. In the past it's taken me nearly an hour and a half to get from the car park behind the velodrome to Littleover - utterly ridiculous...

A few police (of the useful kind - you know the ones that actually manage the flow of traffic rather than simply stand and watch the congestion) would help the are clear more quickly and would reduce the need for people to try to beat the worst of the traffic...

People do have to leave for certain reasons too. 

My daughter finishes dancing on Stores Road at 5pm, the dance studio closes too so I have to be there otherwise I have a 10 year old waiting on her own. 

I do agree that they need to look at Pride Park and how they can get traffic away quicker. I think leaving at the Harvester Roundabout going towards the city centre, that road leading going over the railway bridge should be made into two lanes to allow the traffic to stop bottle necking from the lights. 

I must admit I leave early on around 85mins normally to skip the traffic amd jog to the car, I normally get home by 5 to 5. I normally sit in the south stand but yesterday sat in the North Stand due to my son being mascot, I stayed for the whole game and walked to the car, took me over a hour longer to get home - amazing what a difference 5-10mins makes to the traffic!

Here’s a tale of woe - play off semi final Derby vs Southampton I promise to pick the kids up at 10-00 pm no if buts or maybes- no choice I stay until the end of full time - I have to leave - after listening on my radio whilst picking them up and getting home we are taking penalties - I walk in the house switching sky tv on whilst listening to radio Derby still - idiakez picks the ball up on the tv but on the radio he kicks it over the bar - surreal celebration by me, then he misses on the tv - you couldn’t make it up - it like time travel 

It’s not a new thing. Switching the screens off won’t stop it. It’s happened ever since god created football.

Still annoying though, as a guy on the row in front of me goes early before half time and full time, everyone has to stand up and I can’t see a damn thing.

1 hour ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Cannot stand the sight of thousands of people streaming down the steps with five minutes to go. You pay for your ticket so you watch the game. If we're playing well or winning, the lads deserve to have their efforts acknowledged at the end.

Well they've paid for their ticket, so what if they want to leave a few minutes early? You don't like it, but it's not really harming you, I'm sure they can't stand being sat in huge amounts of traffic. 

1 hour ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Cannot stand the sight of thousands of people streaming down the steps with five minutes to go. You pay for your ticket so you watch the game. If we're playing well or winning, the lads deserve to have their efforts acknowledged at the end.

Agree. It starts at 75 mins.

How many villa fans had left last week at 3-0?

I know some people have reasons but that surely must be the minority. Its early evening Saturday, it can't be that important to get home to catch the second half of pointless celebrities.

I was in the concourse watching the screens, (It was a bit nippy out!) when from out of nowhere, this bloke came dashing down the steps... 3 steps at a time!  He nearly came a cropper as he just about managed to skid and slide his way through the rapid left/right/left to enter the gents.  I honestly thought he was having a heart attack or something!

Anyway, being the caring type, I thought I'd better follow him in, to check he was ok/still alive... It soon became (very!) apparent that he was indeed alive, but I  presume he just needed an emergency poo!

...I've never stayed down in the concourse since..the smell was dreadful!. 

Some people have to rush to get to the Merlin before it gets busy and some just hate sitting in traffic.

Personally I never think rushing home to watch Saturday night tv is that important and If I'm going out, it's very rarely before 7 anyway.

I also like to applaud the players off.

Archived