England Rugby 2019

CWC1983

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

6 nations kicks off tonight in Paris. 

It looks like a pretty open championship this year with England, Wales and Ireland all in with a shout. 

Tomorrows game in Dublin should be a cracker. 

cant remember the last time england put up a decent performance in Dublin and last year at Twickenham was embarrassing.

The high spot of Jones coaching was the summer tour of australia in 2016 and we seem to have been going backwards ever since. The training camps are huge and large numbers of players come in and exit, but we seem to lack true stars or a settled XV.

Ah well, I'm sure I will be gloomily staring at another horror show tomorrow but at least the strong ales are on offer at Asda.....?

On 01/02/2019 at 15:29, HantsRam said:

cant remember the last time england put up a decent performance in Dublin and last year at Twickenham was embarrassing.

The high spot of Jones coaching was the summer tour of australia in 2016 and we seem to have been going backwards ever since. The training camps are huge and large numbers of players come in and exit, but we seem to lack true stars or a settled XV.

Ah well, I'm sure I will be gloomily staring at another horror show tomorrow but at least the strong ales are on offer at Asda.....?

Anyway you were saying ??????????????????????????????

On 03/02/2019 at 08:16, CWC1983 said:

Well played England, got ahead and made Ireland play in their own half. 

It showed Ireland to be a bit 1 dimensional. Connor Murray kick and chase. Sexton struggled under the England pressure. 

I think they’ve always been a team that’s focussed on excellent execution of their typical (only?) game plan.

Best performance by an England team for years IMO. Defensive line-speed was something to behold and the plan to get at the English front-5 was completely turned on its head. I knew we would win the moment O'Mahony lost his cool with Sinckler given it was Sinckler they primarily aimed to wind up. Johnny May who used to look like a turbo-charged bambi on ice is now so solid in defence and under the high ball and Henry Slade showed us the kind of virtuoso skills he's shown for so long at club level. Only downside is the long term injury to Maro who's done a knee. That said, with Launch and Courtney as replacements, we should not be unduly put out. 

Last word is to say how gracious the Irish were in defeat - not a word of an excuse. They'll be super pumped up against the Scots. who boast a talented backline, but a rather lightweight pack for what will be a bruising encounter. All in all, a great start to the 6N and an interesting year ahead with the RWC this autumn. Can't bloomin wait! 

If we can turn over Wales in Cardiff in two weeks time I will really start believing again. I just want us to focus and not get carried away. Our squad is very strong and with the right game plan and execution can beat anyone on the planet. I think the last twelve months has shown how complacency and believing your own hype instead of fully nailed on improvement can have the banana skins under yer studs in seconds flat.

20 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

If we can turn over Wales in Cardiff in two weeks time I will really start believing again. I just want us to focus and not get carried away. Our squad is very strong and with the right game plan and execution can beat anyone on the planet. I think the last twelve months has shown how complacency and believing your own hype instead of fully nailed on improvement can have the banana skins under yer studs in seconds flat.

....then its a done slam. Italy and Scotland at home? The first has never won at Twickenham, and rarely wins anywhere. The second hasn't won at Twickenham since the days of un-mown pitches and the Hastings brothers.

No, Wales is the last real challenge in the 6N this year for England, much as Scotland might try.......

On 11 Feb 2019 at 17:40, HantsRam said:

....then its a done slam. Italy and Scotland at home? The first has never won at Twickenham, and rarely wins anywhere. The second hasn't won at Twickenham since the days of un-mown pitches and the Hastings brothers.

No, Wales is the last real challenge in the 6N this year for England, much as Scotland might try.......

Im not sure how good Wales are. Great run for them and take nothing away from them. Sneaked past Aussies and a fantastic win v Springboks.

i think England having played All Blacks and the test series in South Africa helped sharpen us. Good having Billy, Manu and Mako back for sure. Hopefully Watson and Underhill to return by September. 

Archived