Birthday Present for Mum

DarkFruitsRam7

3 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Invite her over to Manchester (you are there aren't you?) for "Mum's day of fun" and show her round. The Leonardo exhibition at the Manchester Art Gallery is free, but bound to be interesting. Or if that's not her thing, maybe the science museum? 

The hot food counter at the Rivals Bar at the Royal Exchange Theatre does good jacket spuds - everyone loves those. Or if it's Sunday, the roast at Beastro is only 12 quid (it's your mum and it's once a year). And you must know a million good places. 

And just chat about stuff. Ask her questions about her life when she was your age. 

Take lots of pictures and follow up with some sort of hard copy photographic momento. 

All sounds very nice but you assume she likes him and wants to spend time with him. 

Might be glad to see the back of him and enjoying the peace.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/02/2019 at 18:26, Phoenix said:

How about a course of hand-gliding lessons?

1 hour ago, ilkleyram said:

Do you mean hang gliding lessons? 

Just asking for a friend

23 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Yes inded, fat finger syndrome.

That's a really, really, really fat finger... The D & G are two keys apart, with a bloody gret "F" in between!   

On 10/02/2019 at 17:51, BurtonRam7 said:

Looking for advice on what to get my Mum for her birthday (28th Feb).

She's had a really tough year and I want to show her how much she means to me. As a student, I don't have much money and I'm also disgracefully bad at arty crafty things. So preferably something not too expensive that is still meaningful or something that I could put together without too much trouble. Any advice appreciated.

If you have android you can use this app to create your photo book for her. The book is free but has a £5.99 delivery fee. 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.planetart.wrendauk

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think I've decided on what I'm going to do. @Parsnip has very kindly offered to make an oak bath caddy for her, which I think she'll like. 

The typical present that I get her for Mother's Day is flowers, although that may change based on some of the suggestions I've seen on this thread. I particularly like your idea, @Carl Sagan, so I may use that on 31 March.

She's also a huge fan of running. She does loads of 30+ mile off-road ultras but she also loves doing the London Marathon. She's always said that the one thing she wants to see us kids do before she dies is London, so I've decided to tell her that I'll be getting a charity place for next year's race. I think she'll be absolutely ecstatic (I won't be - I absolutely hate running). 

Thanks again for the suggestions guys. I really appreciate it. I'm sure it won't be long before I create a thread asking for charity donations!

7 minutes ago, David said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if you end up with a burnt pine toothbrush holder from @Parsnip ?

I actually use my blowtorch a lot - the rustic burned effect is really popular. 

You wouldn't like it though @David. I imagine your tastes are more white laminate, matching metallic shampoo and soap dispenser kind of thing.

What's the word I'm looking for? Soulless! Yeah that's it.

Soulless.

Just now, Parsnip said:

You wouldn't like it though @David. I imagine your tastes are more white laminate, matching metallic shampoo and soap dispenser kind of thing.

Soulless.

You say soulless I say Swedish

44 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Soulless.

Etch an apple onto it and he'll buy anything?

5 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think I've decided on what I'm going to do. @Parsnip has very kindly offered to make an oak bath caddy for her, which I think she'll like. 

The typical present that I get her for Mother's Day is flowers, although that may change based on some of the suggestions I've seen on this thread. I particularly like your idea, @Carl Sagan, so I may use that on 31 March.

She's also a huge fan of running. She does loads of 30+ mile off-road ultras but she also loves doing the London Marathon. She's always said that the one thing she wants to see us kids do before she dies is London, so I've decided to tell her that I'll be getting a charity place for next year's race. I think she'll be absolutely ecstatic (I won't be - I absolutely hate running). 

Thanks again for the suggestions guys. I really appreciate it. I'm sure it won't be long before I create a thread asking for charity donations!

With the amount of liquor you claim to consume, my tip to you would be 'start training now!'

Just now, Angry Ram said:

You’re a student, she won’t expect or want much..

A simple bunch of flowers, a big cuddle and your time.. watch a movie together and tell her how much she means to you..

The simple things are always the best..

@BurtonRam7 jobs a goodun..

You could copy and paste this into the Valentines Day thread, just don’t let her pick the movie.

Archived