Birthday Present for Mum

DarkFruitsRam7

Looking for advice on what to get my Mum for her birthday (28th Feb).

She's had a really tough year and I want to show her how much she means to me. As a student, I don't have much money and I'm also disgracefully bad at arty crafty things. So preferably something not too expensive that is still meaningful or something that I could put together without too much trouble. Any advice appreciated.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in the same situation when i was in college and my mom turned 50.

I ended up cooking her something and taking some pictures I had of me and her to a local shop and had them make a framed collage out of it.

She loved it and I am sure whatever you give her she will love it too as it will come from the heart.?

A needlecraft set. 

We bought one for the mother in law once, a six foot long depiction of the last supper.

Took her years to complete, and she always thanked us for getting it her.

I still remember the day she finished it, we duly framed it and hung it on her living room wall.

"If you ******'* ever buy me something like that again, I swear I'll knife the pair of you to death".

I'm sure she was joking, and loved every minute of it.

2 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

A needlecraft set. 

We bought one for the mother in law once, a six foot long depiction of the last supper.

Took her years to complete, and she always thanked us for getting it her.

I still remember the day she finished it, we duly framed it and hung it on her living room wall.

"If you ******'* ever buy me something like that again, I swear I'll knife the pair of you to death".

I'm sure she was joking, and loved every minute of it.

She could make a cushion and stuff it with @BurtonRam7 hair clippings.

Time.

Do all the housework for a week, the cleaning, cooking - make it a special meal if you can cook, or a decent takeaway/meal out depending on your cashflow, shopping (perhaps not paying for it), free up her time so she can either watch crap TV, go shopping, read, or whatever else she likes to do to unwind.

Walking in her shoes for a few days / a week will show her how much she means to you.

14 hours ago, AmericanRam said:

I was in the same situation when i was in college and my mom turned 50.

I ended up cooking her something and taking some pictures I had of me and her to a local shop and had them make a framed collage out of it.

She loved it and I am sure whatever you give her she will love it too as it will come from the heart.?

This.

You can do the collage for free online and Max Spielman print it off and throw in a frame for a tenner.

Just a pointer.

It really, really ducks me off to open a present and it has someone elses face (that most of the time annoys me to look at), multiplied and given to me as a gift.

Like when my sister gives my Dad his Xmas present, and it's the school photgraphs of her kids. He says thanks, but he much prefers my Norwich away tickets.

Might be a woman thing.

Invite her over to Manchester (you are there aren't you?) for "Mum's day of fun" and show her round. The Leonardo exhibition at the Manchester Art Gallery is free, but bound to be interesting. Or if that's not her thing, maybe the science museum? 

The hot food counter at the Rivals Bar at the Royal Exchange Theatre does good jacket spuds - everyone loves those. Or if it's Sunday, the roast at Beastro is only 12 quid (it's your mum and it's once a year). And you must know a million good places. 

EDIT: And it's normally free to  be in the audience for a TV show, but often great fun. You could see what's on at MediaCity.

And just chat about stuff. Ask her questions about her life when she was your age. 

Take lots of pictures and follow up with some sort of hard copy photographic momento. 

Archived