Sunderland Till I Die

Ghost of Clough

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

First up, cracking documentary series on Netflix - if you haven't you should.

Some really interesting points in there that can help resolve many discussions often held on here, namely:

- If players don't want to leave then they won't (Jack Rodwell). Just saying you want to shift them out isn't as easy as it sounds.

- You can't just go out and sign players, even the ones you want

- Interesting comments from Coleman that it is the attitude and performances on the training pitch that decide who plays on Saturday

- Banging on about your club 'belongs in the Premiership' is really bad for your health

General:

- Coleman comes across as a really decent bloke with his head in the right place

Some interesting points relating specifically to Derby

- The Mackem scouts went to watch Duane Holmes at Scunthorpe but decided they could "find better"

- Chris Martin rejected a loan move to Sunderland in the Jan window last season before he went to Reading

- Jason Steele nearly came here on loan, I guess we recalled Roos from Plymouth instead of doing that one. Steele is now at B&HA.

- Looking at just how bad that Sunderland team were really puts that 4-1 defeat at home to them into perspective. For me, the worst home performance in years

not even second string there - they were playing David Button (ex-Fulham and Brentford?) in the cup replay the other night.

seems bringing Roos back was sensible

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it captured (unintentionally) how there is this huge global Premier League thing....

Which is kinda like a huge con like the Wizard of Oz...cos when you drop out; behind the curtain of noise,  glitz, pomp and show....you see the reality which is something totally different.

Its a relatively small number of hard-core fans, pushing their limited budget to watch the team. There are the real local people who are working in the kitchens, the boot room... and there are some decent players who quietly go about their business  ...but ultimately move on. 

It fact its all pretty mundane and 'normal'. To be honest it would have to be for Simon 'no personality' Grayson to be leading the club!!  

In some ways it took away some of the elusive magic of football. Results notwithstanding it definitely wouldnt have converted me to football if I wasn't a fan.  The bit where they beat us (!) was the only bit where you would have imagined why you would even bother. Definitely showed how the fans are the club and the rest is just circumstance. 

On 19/12/2018 at 23:34, RadioactiveWaste said:

Started watching, it's quite enjoyabe and I know it's going to get bleak - but - will it get as bleak as the classic "Leyton Orient - Club for a fiver" documentary?

Has to be one of the best half time sprays of all time!?

Archived