Sunderland Till I Die

Ghost of Clough

Has anyone watch this TV series on Netflix? It’s a documentary during their 17/18 season. I can’t help but feel out club went through exactly the same problems as them when we returned to the Championship. 

Half way through the second episode the scouts went to Scunthorpe to watch Duane Holmes. The verdict being “better out there”. 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Has anyone watch this TV series on Netflix? It’s a documentary during their 17/18 season. I can’t help but feel out club went through exactly the same problems as them when we returned to the Championship. 

Half way through the second episode the scouts went to Scunthorpe to watch Duane Holmes. The verdict being “better out there”. 

Knowing Sunderland didn't want him makes me more excited about his future.

It is excellent.

A few bits of Derby interest.

Chris Martin's move...he was never going to go there, his agent totally played them to get him a move.

Luke Steele almost joining us.....and he looked absolutely rubbish in every clip it shows.

And the list the scouts come up with.... Will Hughes on it... so looks like he was available for a loan last season.

17 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

It is excellent.

A few bits of Derby interest.

Chris Martin's move...he was never going to go there, his agent totally played them to get him a move.

Luke Steele almost joining us.....and he looked absolutely rubbish in every clip it shows.

And the list the scouts come up with.... Will Hughes on it... so looks like he was available for a loan last season.

The Will Hughes bit made me laugh as he’d only just joined Watford yet they thought they could get him on loan. 

Half way through the 3rd episode, it's pretty fascinating stuff, although the fans are their own worst enemy, losing their collective minds over a 5-0 friendly defeat to Celtic in pre-season.  Can't help the players confidence going into the season.

Also I read one review that likened the CEO to David Brent, but so far he's come across as a fairly level headed kinda chap, doing his best in difficult circumstances.  Still, there's plenty of episodes for that to change 

Got one more episode to watch:

Grayson was useless weren’t he? Although Coleman wasn’t much better

They keep talking about the squad being a ‘good group’ but there is literally no camaraderie on show. Steele looks a completely isolated figure. None of them seem like they don’t want to play for the club but there’s no spirit there. Steele’s a good example as he talks about it like it’s a job he hates being in.

Grabban comes across as a right so and so. BUT there’s a major point about the man management he makes which shows up again in the Gibson case. Gibson obviously needed support from the club and help which he didn’t seemingly get.

They all try, but it’s pretty obvious it’s a sinking ship. Deluded fans, managers who don’t really appreciate the difficulty of the task, a chief exec who has no answers, Lee Camp. They keep thinking they are a premier league club and that they’ve hit rock bottom when it could get so much worse.

Like to see more about the Rodwell situation, they paint him as a hate figure which seemed a bit one sided at the very least.

The church scene feels set up and weird. 

And that chef travelled all the way to Derby and stayed on the coach!!!!

Sunderland fans are great *cuts to scenes telling everyone under the sun to F off and hand gestures everywhere.

All in all its an ok doc. A bit long and I’m not sure it’s producing what it’s original intention was (ie passionate fans and a badly run club, sometimes the fans are ridicliois and the club are doing all they can). It’s a mess. Also the song on the credits is absolutely terrible

On 19/12/2018 at 13:34, RadioactiveWaste said:

Started watching, it's quite enjoyabe and I know it's going to get bleak - but - will it get as bleak as the classic "Leyton Orient - Club for a fiver" documentary?

Just watched this. Don't know the ins and outs of it but it does show how brutal the game can be when things aren't going right. Engrossing if uncomfortable watch in any case so thanks for posting it.

2 hours ago, 86 points said:

Just watched this. Don't know the ins and outs of it but it does show how brutal the game can be when things aren't going right. Engrossing if uncomfortable watch in any case so thanks for posting it.

The coach in that went on to be a black cabbie after that I believe. I remember being shown that quite a few years ago and in so many ways it seems it was a forerunner of what happened to quite a few clubs when the money simply stops coming and how staff get caught up with trying their best whilst players don't G. A. S.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

First up, cracking documentary series on Netflix - if you haven't you should.

Some really interesting points in there that can help resolve many discussions often held on here, namely:

- If players don't want to leave then they won't (Jack Rodwell). Just saying you want to shift them out isn't as easy as it sounds.

- You can't just go out and sign players, even the ones you want

- Interesting comments from Coleman that it is the attitude and performances on the training pitch that decide who plays on Saturday

- Banging on about your club 'belongs in the Premiership' is really bad for your health

General:

- Coleman comes across as a really decent bloke with his head in the right place

Some interesting points relating specifically to Derby

- The Mackem scouts went to watch Duane Holmes at Scunthorpe but decided they could "find better"

- Chris Martin rejected a loan move to Sunderland in the Jan window last season before he went to Reading

- Jason Steele nearly came here on loan, I guess we recalled Roos from Plymouth instead of doing that one. Steele is now at B&HA.

- Looking at just how bad that Sunderland team were really puts that 4-1 defeat at home to them into perspective. For me, the worst home performance in years

Archived