Sign in to follow this  
Paul71

How does this possibly happen!

Probably would be best if the entirety of the A52 was managed by Highways England. A City Council is just not gonna be able to manage a project like this but is bread and butter to a larger authority.

Construction costs always go up so no surprise there.

I see all the extra costs and over run problems are being blamed on the guy in charge of the project. Personally I think that the incompetent idiots, that hired a guy that wasn't up to the job, should take the responsibility for the fiasco

It appears that the problems stem from contractors being asked to quote for work on an incomplete specification which then altered, got more expensive and extended in time as work was added and problems discovered. Not surprisingly.

If true 'incompetent' is the politest description you could use for both councillors and officers. You wish they were competent enough to get it sorted quickly so that the rest of us could use the thing. But it won't happen.

https://www.derby.gov.uk/media/derbycitycouncil/contentassets/documents/transport/DerbyCity_Council_Head_of_Paid_Service_Update_Report_A52_Final.pdf

senior managers and directors typically remote from the project. Probably paying more attention to the whims of councillors than resourcing and supporting the engineering project delivery team. Ultimately its an open ended procurement without fixed design, specification or cost; and belief in the virtue of early contractor involvement, but without understanding or communicating the risks.

"the Strategic Director has confirmed to us that she believed that there were mature designs in place at the time of works commencing and this was also the message being relayed to Members".

Duh!  

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

A copy of the original plans has been released:

10b_-_n_193_allen_zhou_8_years_canada.jp

So the new Notts/Derby/London mainline is to run across the A52?

Even with the level crossings bringing Brian Clough Way to a standstill every 30 minutes, it's gotta be an improvement of what we have currently!  Can't wait for this to be finished!

8 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

It appears that the problems stem from contractors being asked to quote for work on an incomplete specification which then altered, got more expensive and extended in time as work was added and problems discovered. Not surprisingly.

If true 'incompetent' is the politest description you could use for both councillors and officers. You wish they were competent enough to get it sorted quickly so that the rest of us could use the thing. But it won't happen.

I think incompetence could have its own thread.

I don’t know whether it’s too much booze or fast food or whether it’s because we are all getting lazier but on a daily basis I deal with organisations who don’t get it right or simply don’t get it done.

Projects in my home city of Bristol all seem to overrun. Roadworks causing disruption never seem to have people working on them and the same roads get dug up again and again. 

.... or am I just getting old??🙄

9 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I think incompetence could have its own thread.

I don’t know whether it’s too much booze or fast food or whether it’s because we are all getting lazier but on a daily basis I deal with organisations who don’t get it right or simply don’t get it done.

Projects in my home city of Bristol all seem to overrun. Roadworks causing disruption never seem to have people working on them and the same roads get dug up again and again. 

.... or am I just getting old??🙄

Adult sized nappies should help.

A mate of mine said he is part of this process for his job, and times are so bad companies bid deliberately low to get the contract in the full knowledge they can't complete it  for the money.  But either they are halfway through and have them over a barrel or worst case they get 6months work before they go under!!

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

A mate of mine said he is part of this process for his job, and times are so bad companies bid deliberately low to get the contract in the full knowledge they can't complete it  for the money.  But either they are halfway through and have them over a barrel or worst case they get 6months work before they go under!!

That is just how the construction industry works. There is so much competition with bazillions of construction companies these days that are essentially the same in virtually every respect. The only way to stand out is to bid super low to try and win the work - usually with razor thin profits or making a loss. The company then plans to make enough money from compensation events and other extras to try and make it profitable.

The company who won these A52 works seem to have hit the jackpot. The council shouldn't have tried to run a major construction project with no experience and no idea what they are doing - now it is going to cost them big time. 

I work in construction myself and have never, ever, ever worked on a project that has been delivered for the original cost. (You should see how much money gets wasted by water authorities!)

On 07/02/2019 at 17:20, Paul71 said:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/derby-news/a52-roadworks-wont-finished-till-2518204

The road works on the A52 now won't be finished until summer 2020.

And the cost has gone from 15 Million to 42 Million.

How can this happen? 

Is it that whomever is doing the work has the council over a barrel?  Pay up or we leave it as it is?

Have you ever been to a council meeting ?It's like being in a parallel universe , if there's a right and wrong way of looking at things these people pick the wrong one every time .It's run on a lowest common denominator type mentality mixed in with committee style management .  

On 10/02/2019 at 08:58, Paul71 said:

A copy of the original plans has been released:

10b_-_n_193_allen_zhou_8_years_canada.jp

On 10/02/2019 at 10:05, Mucker1884 said:

So the new Notts/Derby/London mainline is to run across the A52?

Even with the level crossings bringing Brian Clough Way to a standstill every 30 minutes, it's gotta be an improvement of what we have currently!  Can't wait for this to be finished!

do you think driving on the right will help also?  Quite innovative.