Gary Hooper - Scunthorpe United

vicky-27

DERBY County are still in the hunt for in-demand striker Gary Hooper.

The Rams are understood to have held talks with Ssausagehorpe United and the 22-year-old forward about a possible move to Pride Park since the end of the season.

And although they were unable to agree a fee with the Championship club or terms with the player, Derby have not ruled themselves out of the running for the former Southend United man.

Ssausagehorpe this week confirmed that they have received bids for Hooper, who they value at around £2.5m.

Scottish Premier League giants Celtic are reported to be keen on him, with Middlesbrough, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Wigan Athletic also being linked.

Rams boss Nigel Clough will be keeping a close eye on developments surrounding Hooper during the close season.

Clough wants to add a striker to his squad over the summer, with Sheffield United's Billy Sharp and James Vaughan of Everton also on his list of targets.

Derby have already wrapped up the signings of left-back Gareth Roberts and Polish forward Tomasz Cywka, on free transfers, along with Crewe Alexandra duo John Brayford and James Bailey.

Any further transfers are now likely to be made towards the end of the transfer window, according to Rams first-team coach Gary Crosby.

"I would now envisage there being a bit of a lull now," said Crosby.

"You try to get as much done as soon as you can but things always seem to drag on and clubs aren't willing to let people go for various reasons.

"That is why it always ends up going very close to the end of the window."

The Rams ended their interest in Dutchman Danny Buijs this week after failing to agree terms with the ADO Den Haag captain.

"We had been out to see Danny a few times and Johnny (Metgod) recommended him," said Crosby.

"However, the deal that we had put together based on what we'd seen of him obviously wasn't suitable for the player himself and we weren't willing to budge on it.

"So we will move on and carry on trying to improve the squad.

"We're happy with the progress we've made so far and we're still trying to look for one or two more but it has to be at the right price and it has to be the right deal."

Clough's options in the transfer market may be affected by players moving out of Pride Park this summer.

Defender Paul Connolly has been targeted by Leeds United, who are also interested in striker Rob Hulse.

The newly-promoted Yorkshire side are believed to be lining up a bid for the Rams' leading scorer last season

Meanwhile, Rams striker Luke Varney could be on his way as he is surplus to requirements after returning to Pride Park from his loan spell at Sheffield Wednesday last season.

Courtesy of the Derby Evening Telegraph.

We wont get him if he's already rejected our terms I doubt, look at the stance took with the dutch lad.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
It appears a 20 per cent sell-on clause is now the last hurdle Leeds United need to clear if they are to complete the £3 million signing of Ssausagehorpe's Gary Hooper, who netted 30 times last season.

http://www.betfairfootball.com/the-championship/rumour-mill---leeds-united-to-splash-the-cash/

I guess Leeds have finally figured out who actually owns them.:rolleyes:

Oh great ! and who do we play first game................?

:mad: :mad: was really hoping we would get Hooper, might of known we will end up with some loan signing i guess, striker should of been the first buy on the list, non of ours will score 20 this season.

Investers will want to see a return with the money they put in, this is what happened with us in the past, cos when it starts to go tits up they pull their money out and leaves the club in debt, and with more and more clubs in trouble I feel it's more important to get the club sorted finance wise before we think about investment. But hey that's my view

Investers will want to see a return with the money they put in, this is what happened with us in the past, cos when it starts to go tits up they pull their money out and leaves the club in debt, and with more and more clubs in trouble I feel it's more important to get the club sorted finance wise before we think about investment. But hey that's my view

Your wasting your time, unless we sign Messi and Villa in the summer we're going down.

a small amount of capital investment wouldn't endanger the club, and the club doesn't ahve financial troubles, but at the end of the day the lack of investment in players is worrying, tbh would 3 million pounds of investment endanger derby county?

£ 3 million on somebody who could fail could damage the club, yes.

billy sharpe couldn't cut it at the Blades, why? bigger club pressure? does alright when the spotlights off him at a smaller club.

Hooper will be a gamble at anything over £1 million . The yanks know this, as Clough would have told them.

£1 million for Steve Howard seemed high at the time, but he did well for us, not too good for festa though.

It's a game of luck buying a striker when you aint got pots of money.

Chris Porter has a massive season ahead of him, make or break for him.

£3m is the transfer fee, plus your agent fees, signing on fee and wages. Let's see how many Championship clubs play £3m+ for player this summer.

fact of the matter is, if you like it or not there hasn't been investment on any level by the americans in terms of investment, the team we have is full of problems and isn't good enough, yet the manager and the board do nothing, agent fees are small, wages were not talking about 20,000 a week tbh were talking more like 10,000 and if this club isn't worth spending 3.5 million pounds worth of players on to get a striker who like steve howard could propel us up the league and give us a genuine goalscorer he scored 23 goals last season then we might as well give up now

Start the defeatist talk in November or December.

You may be completely 100% right, and in that case we all applaud your foresight. But lets at least give the current management the opportunity to start to fail before we all overdose or throw ourselves off a cliff.

The squad looks as weak, if not weaker, than last season. Last season we struggled badly, but also had real injury problems. Maybe this season will be less of a struggle.

I suppose it depends what your goals are. Personally my DCFC goal is to manage the budgets and not become a total 4rse in the division - and my personal definition of that is 14-16th position. You have to weigh up where you think you'll deserve to finish and what the investment to achieve that would be. I don't know where the money from our disastrous top flight season went, whether the last regime or the current one have taken it - but its irrelevant. Wherever it went, it went - so we have to work on the basis that we're a club with no cash.

I don't want us to turn into the club that melts down for lack of funds. I'm kind of hoping that might be the dirty in white or the dirty in red. Eithter would (according to current mod policy) be unworthy of comment and ridicule.

Archived