New system

Big Trav

Just a thought after the Preston game. When we switched to 3 centre backs we looked a whole lot safer at the back but also then we actually created  more opportunities. Could frank start switching to this formation especially with efe ambrose looking to join. We would have the perfect blend at centre half. Tomori for pure pace and mopping up. Efe ambrose marks the big man and keogh just does keogh things. This would allow Scott and Jayden to get forward and stop us being countered so often. Have Andy king or hudds or Evans sit and allow mount to attack with waggy Marriott and duane up top 

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Smyth_18 said:

It isn't Derby unless we change to 3 at the back in February and go tits up regardless of the formation.

Switching to 3 at the back last season saw the turn around in form. 

Not suggesting we do that now having just signed a left back.

16 minutes ago, David said:

Switching to 3 at the back last season saw the turn around in form. 

Not suggesting we do that now having just signed a left back.

I think this formation would suit Ashley Cole and definitely Malone. Most certainly Bogle on the other side, to say our right and left backs have been our weaknesses defensively this season, I think it makes a lot of sense. My back 3 would be 

Wisdom Keogh and Tomori

Letting our full backs doing what they are good at... attacking, lets face it, Bogle and Malone can't defend to save their life.

Presuming Cole has still 'got it'. I'd like to see him given the freedom on the left hand side, he's going to be good on the ball and make clever runs, let's just hope he's still got half the engine he had. 

2 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

I think this formation would suit Ashley Cole and definitely Malone. Most certainly Bogle on the other side, to say our right and left backs have been our weaknesses defensively this season, I think it makes a lot of sense. My back 3 would be 

Wisdom Keogh and Tomori

Letting our full backs doing what they are good at... attacking, lets face it, Bogle and Malone can't defend to save their life.

Presuming Cole has still 'got it'. I'd like to see him given the freedom on the left hand side, he's going to be good on the ball and make clever runs, let's just hope he's still got half the engine he had. 

At 38 it’s a big ask to have him covering the left side as a wing back, be interesting to see what role he has to play in this team, will he rotate with Malone, or will he simply be back up, in which case I can see an argument for switching to 3 at the back as Malone can cover the ground.

Just wouldn’t like us switching systems week in week out, not sure there’s a problem with the system either to be honest, just need a full squad of fully fit players to choose from which Frank hasn’t had for a while now.

I need to ask this because we’ve gone from having no backup for Keogh and Tomori with Wisdom being overlooked as a possible needs must solution, to possibly signing Ambrose and calling for 3 at the back.

Assuming Ambrose plays, are we not in the same no backup situation?

And when I say we I’m generalising from the majority of comments I’ve seen over the past month with regards to centre back situation.

33 minutes ago, David said:

At 38 it’s a big ask to have him covering the left side as a wing back, be interesting to see what role he has to play in this team, will he rotate with Malone, or will he simply be back up, in which case I can see an argument for switching to 3 at the back as Malone can cover the ground.

Just wouldn’t like us switching systems week in week out, not sure there’s a problem with the system either to be honest, just need a full squad of fully fit players to choose from which Frank hasn’t had for a while now.

He did play as a wing back for LA Galaxy, they play 3 at the back so I'm presuming he is still capable! Looking forward to seeing him in action.

The bonus of being able to play a few systems is that it's unpredictable and is a good plan B to have. I'm all for being comfortable in 2 systems and switching it, when needed.

7 minutes ago, David said:

I need to ask this because we’ve gone from having no backup for Keogh and Tomori with Wisdom being overlooked as a possible needs must solution, to possibly signing Ambrose and calling for 3 at the back.

Assuming Ambrose plays, are we not in the same no backup situation?

And when I say we I’m generalising from the majority of comments I’ve seen over the past month with regards to centre back situation.

Absolutely agree with this. I think it would be a nice option to have BUT we are short in the CB position so it would be naive to play 3 when we currently have 2 CB on our hands.

Roos/Carson

Wisdom/Ambrose  Keogh    Tamori

Bogle/Holmes                     Evans/hudds                         Malone/Cole   

Wilson                                  Lawrence 

mount

Marriott   

Like the look of this tbh. either side of Keogh covering the full backs position if they are up the pitch with hudds or evans dropping back into the cb to help keogh when not in possession. this could give us an attacking force of 6 players whilst still keeping the back 4 in tact.

11 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

Roos/Carson

Bogle/Holmes                     Evans/hudds                         Malone/Cole   

mount

Marriott   

Like the look of this tbh. either side of Keogh covering the full backs position if they are up the pitch with hudds or evans dropping back into the cb to help keogh when not in possession. this could give us an attacking force of 6 players whilst still keeping the back 4 in tact.

That looks beautiful, I'd maybe swap Lawrence with King, I think we would struggle with only one true CM (hudds or evans) on the field and King would add a little more defensively. If we are playing Wilson in the middle, I think we need a box to box player in there with him. I think we will see Mount play his best football when he's given the absolute freedom to roam. I'd like to see this given a go.

3-4-3 

Roos

Keogh     Huddlestone   Tomori 

Bogle      Holmes     Mount   Malone/Cole

Wilson

Waghorn        Marriott 

25 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

Roos/Carson

mount

Marriott   

Too light in midfield for me.  And Mount is out anyway for a few weeks, soooo....

Roos/Carson

Bogle/Holmes            Hudds            King/Evans               Malone/Cole   

Wilson

Marriott       Waghorn   

2 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Too light in midfield for me.  And Mount is out anyway for a few weeks, soooo....

Roos/Carson

Bogle/Holmes            Hudds            King/Evans               Malone/Cole   

Wilson

Marriott       Waghorn   

Marriott and Waghorn together upfront could be exciting.

33 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

Roos/Carson

mount

Marriott   

16 out on the pitch might just be the answer. I am all for it

Archived