Efe Ambrose - Signed on short term deal

Fraser_23

13 hours ago, David said:

Wouldn’t it be fair to give Ambrose a chance in a Derby shirt if called upon before deciding where he sits on the Alex Pearce scale of CB’s? Chances are he may never play if Keogh and Tomori stay fit, same had Pearce remained.

It would be fair, but I’ve always found it strange how some believe a signing/player should be immune to any negativity before they play. If we signed Keith from down the pub tomorrow there would be some saying “let’s wait until we see him play in a derby shirt”. 

Also if Pearce has stayed id have expected him to be in the team currently and Tomori moved to right back whilst we have no players available there.

13 hours ago, Coconut said:

How often have you watched him play btw? Just when he was at Celtic or more recently?

I’d say probably 20 odd times, mostly at Hibs but a few a Celtic. Also remember him playing right back in the 2014 World Cup I think, although I can’t recall how he played then. 

As for Pearce, I can only disagree if you think he isn’t a good championship centre half. 

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RamsFan10 said:

Also if Pearce has stayed id have expected him to be in the team currently and Tomori moved to right back whilst we have no players available there.

Bogle's back. Was only a one game suspension.

1 minute ago, RamsFan10 said:

It would be fair, but I’ve always found it strange how some believe a signing/player should be immune to any negativity before they play. If we signed Keith from down the pub tomorrow there would be some saying “let’s wait until we see him play in a derby shirt”. 

Can you tell me the last time a professional football club signed a bloke from down the pub?

Just now, RamsFan10 said:

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 09.31.07.png

350 professional games under his belt before arriving at the club, not a bloke from down the pub.

Although I will give you this, it could be a similar situation where Ambrose is not called upon, just as Weale wasn’t.

Ambrose however has 4 SPL titles, Champions League experience, also named in UEFA team of the week for his performance v Barcelona, was also named in team of the tournament at African Cup of Nations. Hibs fans mostly speak fondly of his time at the club, Neil Lennon also describing him as magnificent and the best centre back the club has seen in a long long time.

Now for an arse to fill a seat after the transfer window has closed, you won’t find many better.

Is he better than Pearce nobody knows yet because he hasn’t even pulled a Derby shirt on, at least let him make one mistake with a Ram on his chest before laying into him. 

22 minutes ago, David said:

350 professional games under his belt before arriving at the club, not a bloke from down the pub.

Although I will give you this, it could be a similar situation where Ambrose is not called upon, just as Weale wasn’t.

Ambrose however has 4 SPL titles, Champions League experience, also named in UEFA team of the week for his performance v Barcelona, was also named in team of the tournament at African Cup of Nations. Hibs fans mostly speak fondly of his time at the club, Neil Lennon also describing him as magnificent and the best centre back the club has seen in a long long time.

Now for an arse to fill a seat after the transfer window has closed, you won’t find many better.

Is he better than Pearce nobody knows yet because he hasn’t even pulled a Derby shirt on, at least let him make one mistake with a Ram on his chest before laying into him. 

I agree to be honest, most of my frustration regarding this whole situation is about the loaning of Pearce in the first place. At some point in the last window a mistake was made by the club, potentially loaning out Pearce on the assumption we would get someone in, or another situation im not sure. 

Regarding Ambrose, i don't think its invalid for someone to say that, even before he has played for Derby, they don't rate him having seen him play a fair few times. However, for the current situation we're in I don't think its an awful move as we need an arse to fill a seat - the point i was trying to make was about Pearce. I concede that none of us know the behind the scenes, but its not like i'm saying all this with Hindsight, many including myself questioned the loaning of Pearce at the time. 

As for Weale, there is no proving Pearson did or did not meet him in their local in Leicester ?

4 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

I agree to be honest, most of my frustration regarding this whole situation is about the loaning of Pearce in the first place. At some point in the last window a mistake was made by the club, potentially loaning out Pearce on the assumption we would get someone in, or another situation im not sure. 

Regarding Ambrose, i don't think its invalid for someone to say that, even before he has played for Derby, they don't rate him having seen him play a fair few times. However, for the current situation we're in I don't think its an awful move as we need an arse to fill a seat - the point i was trying to make was about Pearce. I concede that none of us know the behind the scenes, but its not like i'm saying all this with Hindsight, many including myself questioned the loaning of Pearce at the time. 

As for Weale, there is no proving Pearson did or did not meet him in their local in Leicester ?

No problems with saying you don’t rate someone, all been there, but....

“Will be the second best CB I’ve ever seen play in a Derby shirt since Claude Davis”

Thats harsh! 

Point taken with Weale ?

Can't understand the hate for this signing. For me, I feel far happier about this than the prospect of bringing in Pennington.

What is to hate? He's coming in on a free, he will probably be being paid less than most others we were linked with (or Pearce, for that matter) as I think that the average salary at Hibs is about £2K per week and he's come in as COVER for what we've already got. Why are we getting so worked up?

As it happens, I actually genuinely rate him and I have watched more than a few 'youtube' vids. For those who say that 'he's got a mistake in him' - yeah, that's football. I'm not being funny but every single footballer out there has got a mistake in them. And centre backs have them more heightened than others because their mistakes usually get punished, unlike, say, wingers. Reality is, Frank wants centre backs to play out from the back so we're only going to go after centre backs who can do that. Which means, the 'keep it simple, no nonsense' defenders like Shawcross, or Flint etc are not going to work for us. If you want a centre back who can play out from the back and hasn't 'got a mistake in him' then I suggest you go and support Man City or Barcelona because anybody like that is going to be playing at that kind of level - not in the Championship, they'd simply be too good for us. Who didn't the Rams ever go out and sign Rio Ferdinand, or Ricardo Carvalho, or Alessandro Nesta? Ambrose plays out from the back, if he didn't have a mistake in him, he wouldn't be anywhere near us, he'd be at City or United.

But, as it happens, this guy is decent. From his build, I understand the Sol Bamba comparison because he looks like a no nonsense kind of CB. But, whilst capable of doing that, I don't actually think that does him justice. I know that he likes to play out from the back and bring it forward - I've seen, at Celtic, Hibs and others have commented on those forums, that he is a ball playing centre back, capable of launching attacks. He's also got a hell of a lot of pace on him. This is a guy who has a lot of caps for Nigeria, who won titles at Celtic and who has played in the Champions League. He is now coming here, on a free, on (probably) not a huge salary as BACK UP to Keogh and Tomori. And yet, we're kicking off? Do me a favour. He suits how we play, he's experienced and he's as good a back up as we were ever going to get. This is a bit of business that I see only a positive and have no problems with at all.

10 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

I've said this in other places where Pearce's loan has been discussed, but Pearce wanted to go and play football. It would be simply unfair to hold a player here for the lat 6 months of his contract when he might never get a game.

It's not a mistake to "let him go". Sometimes you have to consider the individual.

As a club, you have to sometimes respect the wishes of the player. Pearce was coming to the end of his contract, with absolutely no chance of a new one, so who knows what state of mind he would have been in? For most of the season, he wasn't even on our bench. He had one minute against Reading on the opening day, aside from that he's not even seen the pitch. He still hasn't played for Millwall in the league TBF. 

We don't know what state he is in as a player, either, but it may be that Ambrose is better at this moment in time?

1 hour ago, Topram said:

Let him train if Frank likes him gives him a 6 month deal then I trust him 

From what I've read he's only on a trial at the moment.

I think it's very doubtful he would sign a 6 month deal. I reckon we'd have to offer him 18 months at least. He apparently turned down a new 3 year deal at Hibs to cancel his contract and at 30 he knows his time is running out to get a long deal.

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

I've said this in other places where Pearce's loan has been discussed, but Pearce wanted to go and play football. It would be simply unfair to hold a player here for the lat 6 months of his contract when he might never get a game.

It's not a mistake to "let him go". Sometimes you have to consider the individual.

I get this, but as harsh as it sounds i'd expect a football club pushing for promotion and spending so many millions a year to prioritise its own needs in terms of playing staff over an individual's feelings. Pearce has been an great pro for us, and i'd still argue is good enough to play, but he is contracted to us for 6 more months. It would have been tough but thats football sometimes. 

Just now, RamsFan10 said:

I get this, but as harsh as it sounds i'd expect a football club pushing for promotion and spending so many millions a year to prioritise its own needs in terms of playing staff over an individual's feelings. Pearce has been an great pro for us, and i'd still argue is good enough to play, but he is contracted to us for 6 more months. It would have been tough but thats football sometimes. 

That's fair enough as it's your opinion, but I don't think it's the right attitude to have. 

Especially not regarding a player who has played barely any games for us in all the time he's been here, seen his stock drop vastly, and still been an absolute pro.

I'm fully in Lampard's court of opinion on this one.

Archived