Efe Ambrose - Signed on short term deal

Fraser_23

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, KBB said:

I've seen him a few times on TV for Hibs and Celtic. He seems to be very similar to Sol Bamba in that he can go from being a man mountain, unbeatable, brick wall of a defender to looking like a pub player.

If teams play to his strengths (ie try and out muscle him or hit it long) he will be a god here and like Bamba at Cardiff, a cult hero. If they get quick balls in and around him and play off his shoulder, he will be more like Dave Walton.

Every time I see Sol Bamba at Cardiff, I wonder how we didn't sign him. It was during Nigel Pearson's haphazard reign that he was training with Derby after being released by the Dirties, so whether it was his decision, Chris Powell's or Mac II's that he wasn't offered a contract, I suppose we will never know.

I know that some people think that players like Bamba, Wes Morgan and the like are anachronisms nowadays, but by golly, they can do a job within their 'limitations', 'frame of reference' or whatever you want to call it. Much like Big Dave or Sir Jake did.

"

“He was known as a “ten” or the other end of the scale, but he figured it out at Hibs and was exceptional. You look at him and try to think of a defender in Scotland who did what he could do and there was none.

“He was an Africa Nations Cup winner, played in the Champions League knockout stages, could break lines and start counter-attacks from our last third of the pitch. It can work for and against you, but it worked for us.

He’ll be sorely missed, he was a great athlete who trained every day. “We were dealing with a great player and it was terrific for the fans to see him at full tilt. Of course, he’ll be missed"

Still really struggling to see an ounce of logic behind loaning out Pearce, can’t be wages as since then we’ve signed 2 (now 3) players. Franks interviews seemed to suggest it was a reward for being such a profession. As nice as that is, having a good CB cover is more important. Pearce is a good championship centre half, the decision to loan him out was beyond stupid. 

11 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

Still really struggling to see an ounce of logic behind loaning out Pearce, can’t be wages as since then we’ve signed 2 (now 3) players. Franks interviews seemed to suggest it was a reward for being such a profession. As nice as that is, having a good CB cover is more important. Pearce is a good championship centre half, the decision to loan him out was beyond stupid. 

Maybe it was stupid but at the minute we havent needed the backup CB that Pearce was so if we got a loan fee for him no matter how small and get a replacement in (Ambrose) on a lower wage then it could be good business

Just now, DCFC1388 said:

Maybe it was stupid but at the minute we havent needed the backup CB that Pearce was so if we got a loan fee for him no matter how small and get a replacement in (Ambrose) on a lower wage then it could be good business

That would be well and good if we had replaced Pearce with someone as good or better. 

2 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

That would be well and good if we had replaced Pearce with someone as good or better. 

Wouldn’t it be fair to give Ambrose a chance in a Derby shirt if called upon before deciding where he sits on the Alex Pearce scale of CB’s? Chances are he may never play if Keogh and Tomori stay fit, same had Pearce remained.

www.google.com/amp/s/www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/darren-mcgregor-you-can-t-blame-efe-ambrose-for-eyeing-bigger-offers-1-4854648/amp

McGregor believes, the Hibs fans should remember the sheer entertainment Ambrose provided them, having initially joined the club on loan from Celtic where he had become something of an outcast.

“If you look at Efe, he joined us as a good player. He wasn’t plucked from nowhere.

He was known as a “ten” or the other end of the scale, but he figured it out at Hibs and was exceptional. You look at him and try to think of a defender in Scotland who did what he could do and there was none.

“He was an Africa Nations Cup winner, played in the Champions League knockout stages, could break lines and start counter-attacks from our last third of the pitch. It can work for and against you, but it worked for us. He’ll be sorely missed, he was a great athlete who trained every day.

“We were dealing with a great player and it was terrific for the fans to see him at full tilt. Of course, he’ll be missed.

---

I'd guess that 99% of the fans moaning about this (potential) signing have barely seen Ambrose play, never mind seen him often enough to make an informed judgement about the merits of the signing.

Give the bloke a chance, what is wrong with football fans these days? ?

September 2018

David Gray scored the winner for Hibs, but Lenny singled out defender Efe Ambrose as his star man at the back.

He added: “He’s magnificent right now. You don’t play for Celtic for four years by not being a good player. Yes, there have been a couple of high profile mistakes but we are seeing that a lot at Celtic and I don’t think people get treated the way Efe did.

“We have given him a home and we are seeing his class. Efe is probably one of the best centre-backs Hibs have had for a long, long time. I am delighted for him."

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3280619/st-mirren-hibs-david-gray-neil-lennon/

Think this is a brilliant signing as cover, one of hibs’ best players on his day when he was there. On occasions he was far too good for the league. Couple mates of mine tell me he would make mistakes from time to time but they were down to complaisancy due to the sometimes poor standard of the league but all in all he was a standard above. Hibs fans were sorry to see him go after he triggered the clause in his contract allowing him to leave. Only 30 so still got a few years in him. Could work out very well for us!

Archived