In Defence of the Match Officials

DavesaRam

I watched the West Ham v Liverpool match last night at the Ashford International Tuckstop, sat with a Liverpool fan, and with a room full of Bubleblowers.

The Liverpool goal looked really well worked, and quietened the room down, until it became clear that Milner was offside in the build up. He was actually a yard offside, which the Liverpool fan thought was pretty close. Needless to say, the Hammers fans started to have a go at the linesman, but I watched the lino in the replays. Adam Lallana had been dancing the ball around three (maybe four) West Ham defenders who were putting their foot in, so he was watching for trips, kicks or pushes and pulls. So when Adam flicked the ball through to Milner, the lino simply couldn't see where Milner was until he had already got the ball. So come on, Hammers guys, get off the lino's back! ?

Incidentally did you notice those awful socks the Liverpool team were wearing? It looked like the club had raided Nora Battey's sock draw!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm falling into a trap here, I can sense it, but there's no defense for missing that offside.

Stay in line with the second last defender, don't ball watch, and it's the easiest decision to give.

Same with the last minute chance, neither were within a reasonable margin of error imo.

Awful decision, no excuse for it, they also had another one in the last few seconds where Origi (is that how you spell it) was clearly offside that wasn’t given.

Im starting to go off Klopp with all this ref bashing as well, other week was they don’t get pens, this week the offside call worked against them.

17 hours ago, reveldevil said:

I'm falling into a trap here, I can sense it, but there's no defense for missing that offside.

Stay in line with the second last defender, don't ball watch, and it's the easiest decision to give.

Same with the last minute chance, neither were within a reasonable margin of error imo.

But that's part of the problem isn't it?   They have to ball watch, because they need to know the precise moment the forward pass is played.  Then simultaneously they are expected to be looking along the line to see who is offside. 

Basically linesmen are being asked to look and focus on two different directions at the same moment.  It's just something that people aren't designed to do.  And if you look at most incorrect offside calls it's nearly always because the linesman looks along the line fractionally after the ball has been played. 

No excuse for the Milner offside though. 

22 minutes ago, Highgate said:

But that's part of the problem isn't it?   They have to ball watch, because they need to know the precise moment the forward pass is played.  Then simultaneously they are expected to be looking along the line to see who is offside. 

Basically linesmen are being asked to look and focus on two different directions at the same moment.  It's just something that people aren't designed to do.  And if you look at most incorrect offside calls it's nearly always because the linesman looks along the line fractionally after the ball has been played. 

It's not easy agreed, but you've next to no chance if you're not in the correct position.

36 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Maybe Boy George can become a linesman?

20 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

It's not easy agreed, but you've next to no chance if you're not in the correct position.

True, that is definitely an essential prerequisite.  You rarely see them as out of position as that lino was for the Liverpool goal. 

Archived