Reg Harrison given freedom of the City.

Curtains

I went to football training at the municipal in the early 1970's run by Reg. He went around all the lads asking where they had played previously and a mate of mine said he used to play regularly but had given it up, to which Reg replied 'You don't give up football son, it gives you up'. At 15 I didn't really understand what he meant but it has stayed with me ever since and in time I found out he was right of course.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

23 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Well that’s sort of the reason I posted as there will be some on here who know him who could point me in the right direction.

3 minutes ago, Boycie said:

@loweman2 would be able to help I bet.

Funnily enough I can, I was round at Regs before Christmas as I had one of those large colour fa cup winners photos done for him as he had never seen it in colour apart of course from in real life on the day !

pm me your details @BramcoteRam84 and I will nip round when I get time, make sure that you send me all of the details of family involved going back a couple of generations as Reg is 94 remember as his memory isn’t as sharp as it was so the more names that I can tell him the better the chance of him recalling it !

include your email address so that it is easier to converse.

0C27B29B-84D1-408E-815B-9C4DACC1B09F.jpeg

38 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

Funnily enough I can, I was round at Regs before Christmas as I had one of those large colour fa cup winners photos done for him as he had never seen it in colour apart of course from in real life on the day !

pm me your details @BramcoteRam84 and I will nip round when I get time, make sure that you send me all of the details of family involved going back a couple of generations as Reg is 94 remember as his memory isn’t as sharp as it was so the more names that I can tell him the better the chance of him recalling it !

Awesome I will do. Thanks for your help @loweman2 and also thanks @Boycie.

21 hours ago, loweman2 said:

Couldn’t work the message service on here so tracked you down on twitter and sent you a message with my e-mail details.

I’ll pull together all the details I can.

Cheers

I remember seeing him play at the BBG way back in 1967 when the manager was Tim Ward. So pleased he's finally got the recognition he fully deserves. Hope this freedom of the city honour comes with continuing attention, help,support etc-whatever for life and not just an award in name only. We need to cherish our old.

All sorted @BramcoteRam84 your dad should get a call soon off his daughter Pat ! been round to see him this morning and he was on good form, he and his daughter were telling me how great the club have been, Frank stayed right until the end of the ceremony in the week and spent all the time chatting with all of the family, on Saturday he got to go into the changing room before the match and took his medal and the lads made a fuss of him and he loved leading the team out ! 

E12544BD-74CA-4C32-AEFA-662C2F97A316.jpeg

F6D0E50E-EA59-4891-B4B8-FCEC77E60EFC.jpeg

1 hour ago, loweman2 said:

... on Saturday he got to go into the changing room before the match and took his medal and the lads made a fuss of him... 

I have never been so nervous about reading a post to the very end!

I just had visions of Keogh dropping the bloody thing down the shower grate!

#whatarelief

9 hours ago, loweman2 said:

All sorted @BramcoteRam84 your dad should get a call soon off his daughter Pat ! been round to see him this morning and he was on good form, he and his daughter were telling me how great the club have been, Frank stayed right until the end of the ceremony in the week and spent all the time chatting with all of the family, on Saturday he got to go into the changing room before the match and took his medal and the lads made a fuss of him and he loved leading the team out ! 

E12544BD-74CA-4C32-AEFA-662C2F97A316.jpeg

F6D0E50E-EA59-4891-B4B8-FCEC77E60EFC.jpeg

Top stuff @loweman2!! Really appreciate this and I’m sure my gran will do too. Defo owe you a beer some time.

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Top stuff @loweman2!! Really appreciate this and I’m sure my gran will do too. Defo owe you a beer some time.

No worries, I think it’s great that we have managed to sort it out for them after 60 or so years ! 

I was also contacted today by Jackie stamps grandson ! 

Funny old world sometime !

up the Rams !

Archived