Reg Harrison given freedom of the City.

Curtains

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He used to scare me when he came around coaching. 

"Oi, are you faster than a football, young man? Are you? Can you run faster than the ball?"

"Erm"

"What's your name? Right then, can you run faster than this ball. If I kick it can you keep up with it?"

"I don't think so"

"You can't. So pass it then! The ball beats the man easier than you!"

ffs. I don't even want the ball now. He was right though. And a "good lad" from him made you walk tall.

Much love.

For all the people that use the word legend to describe players that have done very little...this man is one of the few that actually deserve that title. 

Not sure how good he was at football but obviously one of our FA Cup heroes, and as a coach and a person he was brilliant.

Well done Reg. 

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

Well done Reg last serving Derby County  FA Cup Winner. 

Honoured  today at the Council House. 

Great for Reg.

DCC actually do something useful for once (but only after others reminded them of their moral obligation, or so it seems....) 

1 hour ago, Gritters said:

What is the freedom of the city? Do you get to carry a pig through the market place without getting arrested? Or something like that.

There’s a few lads with the freedom of the city at last orders on a Friday night then,

Delighted for reg. My gran is his cousin. They lost touch years ago so unfortunately I’ve never met him but sounds like a good man with what he’s done and the way people speak about him. My gran still talks about him now saying he was a wonderful man when she knew him. He was the main reason she got into football and she still listens to the rams on the radio to this day at nearly 93. She says how reg is doing better than her being 2 years older!! She also went to the city celebrations for the cup final win to see reggie and it was there she was introduced to my grandad for the first time so he’s partly to thank for that too though he probably never knew. She’s pleased as punch as we all are.

10 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Delighted for reg. My gran is his cousin. They lost touch years ago so unfortunately I’ve never met him but sounds like a good man with what he’s done and the way people speak about him. My gran still talks about him now saying he was a wonderful man when she knew him. He was the main reason she got into football and she still listens to the rams on the radio to this day at nearly 93. She says how reg is doing better than her being 2 years older!! She also went to the city celebrations for the cup final win to see reggie and it was there she was introduced to my grandad for the first time so he’s partly to thank for that too though he probably never knew. She’s pleased as punch as we all are.

Great story. You should get them back in touch.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

For all the people that use the word legend to describe players that have done very little...this man is one of the few that actually deserve that title. 

Not sure how good he was at football but obviously one of our FA Cup heroes, and as a coach and a person he was brilliant.

Well done Reg. 

Being a “legend” is one of my favourite topics .. so overused 

you were in the team that won the cup ? ... THAT is a legend ?

I used to live on the same road as Reg and often saw him when I was getting home from a game. He would always stop me and ask how they had done. He also worked at the Recreation Ground on Field Lane in Alvaston. I often organised five a side games from work and would play there. Reg used to take the booking and would pop over to watch for a few minutes. Great bloke and I'm really pleased that he has been honoured. Congratulations Reg.

Archived