Sign in to follow this  
AmericanRam

Adrenaline Junkie

3 hours ago, Wolfie said:

My mate keeps trying to get me to do a sky dive. He did one last year and never shuts up about it.

Anyway, I have a fear of heights & my toes ache just watching something high up on TV. I was even listening to a review of a free climbing film on the radio the other week and even that gave me sweaty palms & achy feet while I was driving.

I'm fine if enclosed (I like the window seat on planes, for example) but if I'm not, I just imagine myself jumping or falling. My palms are sweating up just typing this FFS.

I'm interested to know if it might cure me or not. Anyone have any experience of this?

You don't need a parachute to sky dive ,you only need one to do it twice.

On 05/02/2019 at 16:35, TigerTedd said:

I’d have to consider myself one. Certainly there was a time before kids curtailed my adventures. 

To name a few exploits:

- white water rafting on the black nile grade 5 rapids in Uganda. 

- swimming with sharks in South Africa (with a broken arm in plaster cast that I had to keep above the water). 

- bungee jumping off the Victoria falls bridge (where I broke my arm in the first place).

- sky diving (tandem) in Northamptonshire. 

- the thrillology of AJ Hackett bungee jumps in queenstown NZ. 

- paragliding (is that the one with the little motorbike beneath a hangglider) over the Zambezi river. 

I loved bungee jumping by the 4th one. On the first one, I remember being quite nervous but generally happy on the build up, then absolutely terrified on the way down. You see the river getting closer, but you don’t see the rope getting tighter, so you think that’s that. I remeber on the second one, that feeling cane back when I was waiting, so I was super nervous, but then when I jumped, I felt great, vos I think this time I knew what to expect. By the 4th I did a reverse elevator plunge, and lost my contacts. 

I’d like to do another sky dive, I felt like I did on my first bungee jump for that, and feel like I didn’t enjoy it as much as I should have on the way down. I think next time will be like my second bungee jump, and I’ll just be able to let it go and enjoy myself. 

Sky diving in Northamptonshire???? Boring 😁

Ooh... Ooh... Just remembered... must be getting on for 10 years ago now(?)... How could I have forgotten... I only went and bloody zip-wired all the way from the back row of the SW Upper corner to the lower echelons of the NE Corner... and all for Charidee, of course, so not only handsome and brave, but outrageously generous and thoughtful too! 

As there were no more than 40 or so people in the whole stadium/stands, it was fantastic to give a long, slow, and loud "Come on you Rams", as I whizzed over the centre circle.  The echo/acoustics was very much reminiscent of Tarzan, circa 1973. 

I loved it, and have always said since, I quite fancy having a go at that big zip-wire doodah in Wales somewhere, but haven't got around to it, as yet.

Being a roofer, I haven't as yet come across any heights that have actually scared me as yet... but jumping out of planes?  Shove that for a game of soldiers!  I'm Oot!  

Edited by Mucker1884
Added the last paragraph for clarity, just in case folk thought I was perfect.

9 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Ooh... Ooh... Just remembered... must be getting on for 10 years ago now(?)... How could I have forgotten... I only went and bloody zip-wired all the way from the back row of the SW Upper corner to the lower echelons of the NE Corner... and all for Charidee, of course, so not only handsome and brave, but outrageously generous and thoughtful too! 

As there were no more than 40 or so people in the whole stadium/stands, it was fantastic to give a long, slow, and loud "Come on you Rams", as I whizzed over the centre circle.  The echo/acoustics was very much reminiscent of Tarzan, circa 1973. 

I loved it, and have always said since, I quite fancy having a go at that big zip-wire doodah in Wales somewhere, but haven't got around to it, as yet.

Being a roofer, I haven't as yet come across any heights that have actually scared me as yet... but jumping out of planes?  Shove that for a game of soldiers!  I'm Oot!  

But surely falling from a roof and falling from a plane will both kill you. After a certain height, it doesn’t really matter, so why is it scarier. 

PS I totally forgot that I abseiled down the nurses tower block at the old DRI once for charity. I was supposed to raise about £300, but I wasn’t very good / couldn’t be arsed, so my dad ended up paying about £250 to top up what I’d raised. 

8 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

But surely falling from a roof and falling from a plane will both kill you. After a certain height, it doesn’t really matter, so why is it scarier. 

PS I totally forgot that I abseiled down the nurses tower block at the old DRI once for charity. I was supposed to raise about £300, but I wasn’t very good / couldn’t be arsed, so my dad ended up paying about £250 to top up what I’d raised. 

I've never been scared of falling from a plane (Que sera, sera, an' all that!)... it's the deliberate jumping I just can't fathom!!  Why, just why!!

I was once all geared up to abseil down Black Rock, but the wimp of an instructor chickened out all because of a foot of snow, and we ended up doing it (Ooh er... I mean abseiling)... from a farty little lump of rock, about as high as one of those luxury coaches you see on the motorway... the ones with a few steps down to the toilet.  Not even a proper double decker!  I was well peeved... I fancied I'd have been good at that!

3 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

Ramp riding on the back of a C130 Hercules aircraft. Hoping the pilot doesn't go into reverse thrust or bang the brakes on thus propelling me forward down the freight bay at about 120knots. 

Top fun I've done that on a trip to R.A.F.Bruggen in Germany ,all they did was strap you in the side netting no seats in the thing I was in .

4 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

Sky diving in Northamptonshire???? Boring 😁

@TigerTedd I would just like to quantify my post as I didn't want you to think that I thought Sky diving was boring.,

It was just that everything else you did was in an exotic location. 😁

34 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

@TigerTedd I would just like to quantify my post as I didn't want you to think that I thought Sky diving was boring.,

It was just that everything else you did was in an exotic location. 😁

It’s actually an interesting story. I went to see daredevil (the Ben affleck one) in the cinema, and they had a random little competition on, just in that specific showing. Nothing official, seems like it was just a deal between this particular sky diving centre and the cinema, maybe the managers knew each other. 

Anyway, I won the competition. So it was all well before my traveling days, when I was just a fairly boring council employee, that occasionally frequented the cinema. 

Not even sure if it was Northamptonshire. Where’s Tocester?

funny thing was, after I’d finished and was driving home, I started coming down from the Adrenalin high, and nearly passed out / fell asleep about 3 times. How ironic would it be to die in a crash on the way home from a sky dive. 

But then that is probably the most dangerous thing, and we all do it on a daily basis, just getting in your car.