Mason Bennett - What does Frank see in him?

JoeDerby

Would you have Mason Bennett in the starting line up?  

237 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 hours ago, JoeDerby said:

Mason Bennett.

I see a lot of mixed opinions on Mason. He's no longer the young kid with potential and I can't see that he's improved much at all over the years. I was wondering what people thought on this forum. I've made it clear that I'm not his biggest fan. I'm not quite sure what he brings to the team? His goal scoring record is abysmal. The only time he's been ok, in my opinion, is when he's been brought on the wing for the last 10 minutes to have a run against some tired legs? I think we need better back up personally. His touch is always poor, sloppy in possession, doesn't use his pace effectively? 

Does he owe you money or something 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

I like Mason and think he has a part to play this season no doubt. Good pace, good jump and a danger when he runs at his full back.

He works his hardest and does his best, and if he continues to do so he will improve, especially when it comes to goalscoring, which is a weak point.

For me, simply the fact he wears the shirt with such pride puts him apart from a good few others who have come through the door in the last few years.

And in the current setup, he's certainly worth being in the mix with Josefzoon, Waghorn, Nugent and Lawrence, none of whom have exactly been pulling up trees. Only Wilson, Mount and Holmes can say they regularly earn their starting place.

Marriott too

I like what Mason gives us as an impact sub. As previously stated, his stats per minute are good. 

But, I am disappointed with him in front of goal. I remember watching him play for England U16s at the tender age of 14, he scored a lovely cool goalscorers goal, gently curling it with the outside of his foot, around the keeper. I thought at the time 'what a player we have coming through'. 

It's there, FL has just got to draw it out of him. 

He is certinatly our best attacking option from the bench

he is strong - fast - links well with bogle and defends unlike some 

he makes things happen, reading away hull away Preston at home to name few 

I would have no problem if he started instead of nugent at centre forward 

a good player to have - much better than jo flo who we paid £3 million for 

To fair to Mason Bennett he’s a great ‘squad’ player, you can confidently put him into the first 11 or on the bench knowing he will give you everything and not give the the defenders any peace for however long he’s out there. He also works really hard going backwards and I feel like you get more out of Bogle when Bennett plays because they are both rapid going forward and cover each other at the back. 

Some players just take a while to come good and are worth waiting for, just look at Harry Kane he looked bang avereage for years on loan until he was abou 21. Bennett has been riddled with injuries since he first came into the scene but hopefully that was to do with him growing and it will settle down now.  

Not good enough and dreadful In front of goal, which should be a key element for a forward player shouldn’t it?!?! 

Shame looked liked he had some potential 5 or so years ago. 

To answer the question posed.

Frank Lampard OBVIOUSLY sees something in him or he wouldn't feature at all and would probably be out on loan/sold or playing in the U23's.

I trust Frank Lampard and his knowledge of the game and what he sees day in and day out in training, over your opinion based of a few short cameos. 

A young man with potential who Frank might just see a chance to mould a good player into a great player. 

12 hours ago, curb said:

I'm not sure what everyone saw in him that day in Peterborough, he CAME ON after 90 minutes at 2-2, touched the ball once and we lost 3-2  ?? 

I believe it was reference to his full debut, the home game against Peterborough. 

I do believe he'd offer more down the middle than Nugent. Stronger more aggressive and a lot quicker. Sadly he's never been given a chance there but appreciate FL knows more than me spending time with these players day in day out. However I do think he'd have a greater impact on games now than Nuge. 

I do think in front of goal he lacks composure in front of goal but thats the same for a number of players. The chance against Accy Stan optimised this and I remember another against WBA away where he somehow ballooned it miles over the bar  As one of the posters said he makes up with a really good spring and wins a lot of headers for a relatively small (but stocky) guy.

Having said that if our boy Jack isn't the one to lead the line then surely Waghorn is next in line, but I would like to see Mason given a chance. He could really enforce and be the catalyst for the high press that we crave. 

All in all I voted impact sub... 

In mid field and up front it seems the only guaranteed starters when fit are Marriott and Wilson. All other places are there to be filled by players of a similar sort of ranking (Mount is injured but has not been the same player for a bit). Injuries haven't helped but we need to find a settled team and give them a run of games.

The telepathy Bennett seemed to have with the defence gives him a nod from me to start. 

2 hours ago, 'Rambe33 said:

I do believe he'd offer more down the middle than Nugent. Stronger more aggressive and a lot quicker. Sadly he's never been given a chance there but appreciate FL knows more than me spending time with these players day in day out. However I do think he'd have a greater impact on games now than Nuge. 

I do think in front of goal he lacks composure in front of goal but thats the same for a number of players. The chance against Accy Stan optimised this and I remember another against WBA away where he somehow ballooned it miles over the bar  As one of the posters said he makes up with a really good spring and wins a lot of headers for a relatively small (but stocky) guy.

Having said that if our boy Jack isn't the one to lead the line then surely Waghorn is next in line, but I would like to see Mason given a chance. He could really enforce and be the catalyst for the high press that we crave. 

All in all I voted impact sub... 

But he gets into the positions. Had a great chance at Old Trafford too having run on the defenders blind side but hit the keeper Romero, from point blank range.

If he keeps getting into the positions tho, then I feel as though it will come for him.

Just now, MuespachRam said:

He just isn’t good enough...and if we had paid money for him rather than him being “one of our own”(which incidentally is the one of the worst football chants) then everyone would have a much different opinion on him. 

Yet the player really appreciates the chant, heaven forbid fans should sing a song that motivates the player(s).

11 minutes ago, David said:

Yet the player really appreciates the chant, heaven forbid fans should sing a song that motivates the player(s).

He’s American now, unless it has the words “go rams go, go rams go” over and over again, then it’s considered a poo chant ?

20 hours ago, JoeDerby said:

I understand what you're saying here but 22, 100 games and I still haven't seen anything to impress me or get me off my seat. Wilson is 21 and shown more in 20 games than Mason has his whole career. Same goes with Bogle who's 18..

Even Jeff and Will when they were here, by 22 they had showed a lot more than Mason has.

Honestly? If that's the case I think you've not been watching closely enough. I'm not someone who watches every game any more but even I've seen some glimpses of a really good player struggling to burst out.

You mention Wilson who is here now but also mention Jeff and Will.

Wilson if fit, he plays.

I'll focus more on Jeff and Will as they were two I got to see a lot of. Both of them were given long, unbroken runs in the team. They were allowed to grow, allowed to make mistakes and allowed to learn. They also knew the manager trusted them enough to put them both in game after game even when their form naturally dipped.

I'd be keen to see what is Mason's longest run of getting picked.

He needs some games. He still has potential to go on to be a 5 million plus player and I'd point to the likes of Chris Wood and even your very own Martyn Waghorn as examples of that kind of player.

You don't get many finished articles as strikers at 22.

37 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Shame It doesn’t motivate him to actually do his job and put the round leather thing into the rectangular netty thing more often....

18/19 - 1 goal and 3 assists in 682 mins (equivalent to 6 goals in a 46 game season).

14/15 to 17/18 - 100 mins spread over 7 games in 4 seasons.

13/14 - 1 goal in 272 mins spread over 13 games as a 17 year old.

12/13 - 118 mins spread over 6 games as a 16 year old.

11/12 - 266 mins spread over 9 games as a 15 year old.

Do you honestly believe you're being fair?

Archived