Tyrone Mings Stamp

Ambitious

Stamp on a marquee Premier League player = Banned for endangering the brand and upsetting die hard Indonesian Man U fans.

Stamp on average Championship player = Oliviera who? This hasn't been trending on Korean Twitter, so we don't give a duck.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all my years of watching football I genuinely can only recall players's heads getting powerfully stamped on twice. It's such an incredible coincidence it was the same player doing the stamping both times. What are the chances?

I'm astonished Reading fans haven't reported it to Thames Valley Police as an assault/GBH.

I watched it about 20 times and it's never looked like an accident. Imagine if Mings was barefoot and Oliviera's face was a drawing pin... instinct would've taken over and he'd have done everything to avoid it, probably falling over and twisting his ankle. But he didn't - he stamped. 

I was interested to see if Oliviera had forgiven or condemned, here's his girlfriend's Instagram...

20190205_082332.thumb.jpg.e553f2c38a5fdf1c4e963d87bfd301f6.jpg

The problem to me is, when you play football you are taught to play in a way that still protects the opponent and that should be your priority. It doesn’t matter whether it’s an accident or not, it’s horrendously careless. This, and what happened with the Leeds keeper on Holmes, is setting up a poor precedent that protection of players around you is priority. 

I like a physical battle in a game, but that action was above anything you should see on a football pitch

I did wonder if Zlatan had made any comment considering he's recently had his head stamped on by the same player. Maybe a public condemnation of Mings or a message of support for Oliviera? 

But no. Zlanan's last post is, well, of course it's this... (what else would it be).

Screenshot_20190205-105644_Twitter.thumb.jpg.a1d9006a3959fd5de9069918318b8b27.jpg

15 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

So the FA wont investigate cos the referee has seen it and already made the decision. So if a player was to shoot a player on the pitch, and ref seems it foul play and sends him off, there’s nothing the FA can do beyond what the ref has already done. 

When it gets to criminal levels of assault, surely a full investigation has to take place as a matter of course. A referee in the spur of the moment can’t possibly be relied upon to make the correct, informed decision for something so important. 

So the referee said it was an accidental coming together. Everyone who’s seen the replay says it’s at least debatable if it was accidental. But it’s whatvteh ref says in that moment that’s important, and literally no one has the power to overturn that. 

duck that, I’d press charges if I was Oleviera. I’m oretty sure the police can overturn the ref’s decision.  

Ludicrous.  They bring in VAR because the officials are sometimes mistaken, but they cannot review an apparent assault because the ref saw it and deemed it accidental.  The hypocrisy of it all stinks.

2 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

The problem to me is, when you play football you are taught to play in a way that still protects the opponent and that should be your priority. It doesn’t matter whether it’s an accident or not, it’s horrendously careless. This, and what happened with the Leeds keeper on Holmes, is setting up a poor precedent that protection of players around you is priority. 

I like a physical battle in a game, but that action was above anything you should see on a football pitch

They have taken strong tackling out of the game sadly but stamping on the face appears to be okay outside of the Premier league.  I believe he could have avoided standing on his head if he wished to. i.m not sure he meant to do the amount of damage but he knew full well what he was doing.

Thinking more about it. I can't think of seeing it happen watching a match and I certainly have never seen when playing myself and that is over 10 seasons of 11 aside on a Saturday. There are some pretty careless players out there but still not seen it or been involved in it.  When playing a contact sport there is a basic duty of care, if you can't follow that you shouldn't be playing. I don't think you can prove it is deliberate but being an accident doesn't absolve of any responsibility.

Why bother reviewing if you can't do a thing about it? Had that been say Harry Kane trod on, I wonder what the outcome would be. In situations of dangerous/violent conduct they have to be able to take action even if the ref has done so on the day.

16 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Thinking more about it. I can't think of seeing it happen watching a match and I certainly have never seen when playing myself and that is over 10 seasons of 11 aside on a Saturday. There are some pretty careless players out there but still not seen it or been involved in it.  When playing a contact sport there is a basic duty of care, if you can't follow that you shouldn't be playing. I don't think you can prove it is deliberate but being an accident doesn't absolve of any responsibility.

Why bother reviewing if you can't do a thing about it? Had that been say Harry Kane trod on, I wonder what the outcome would be. In situations of dangerous/violent conduct they have to be able to take action even if the ref has done so on the day.

Absolutely.  The rule is ludicrous even by FA standards (and they have come up with some belters recently)

On 03/02/2019 at 17:42, Ambitious said:

If you haven’t seen his stamp yet, it’s worth a look.The bloke is an animal!

He needs binning from the game for a long, long time. He changes his stride to make contact and now Oliviera will be scarred for life all over his face. I saw somewhere that because he’s been out of favour and injured so much, it’s now two head stamps in his last 20 games? 

He got a five game ban last time, although this must surely see a ban double the length as the serverity is much worse. 

Should firstly be changed for gbh, all the evidence is there m’lud, and a season long ban, Bournemouth should sack him.

Here's an interview with the Reading manager where he says during the game he presumed it was accidental but reviewing the footage he's sure it's an intentional stamp (breaking the nose in four places). The video from 56 seconds shows a new much clearer angle where it appears as if Ming looks down and deliberately shortens his stride to make sure he gets his man. Disgusting. And equally disgusting that the FA and EFL refuse to act.

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

The video from 56 seconds shows a new much clearer angle

Yep. Deliberate and aimed. There has to be a review of this otherwise the FA aren't protecting the players and they should be replaced.

That's the worst thing I think I've ever seen on a football pitch. Could easily have been life changing for Oliviera. 

16 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Yep. Deliberate and aimed. There has to be a review of this otherwise the FA aren't protecting the players and they should be replaced.

That's the worst thing I think I've ever seen on a football pitch. Could easily have been life changing for Oliviera. 

Currently though apparently BJ's mouthful of shirt is far far worse

19 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

So was Bogle's vicious assault at Accrington!

Well, Bogel's was a professional foul and a red based on the cynicism /spoiling not danger/violence.

But yeah, all the good tackles that get yellows, all the accidental arm contacts that get reds and then Mings the merciless get away with this completely and it's not even the first time he's done it, but because it's a reading player nothing happens, if he'd done it to a Premier league player(like he did before) or even a Leeds player, he'd be punished.

Just now, Spanish said:

why was he booked?

For the scuffle, but no mention was made of the "bite" which was why the FA were able to take action.

The rules stink, they need to be changed and this maybe the incident that triggers it, but for now little they can do. 

Nothing stopping the player from contacting the Police and reporting it as an assault though as far as I'm aware. 

Archived