Derby County v Hull City Match thread.

RadioactiveWaste

1 hour ago, AdamRam said:

So he lost it 3 tines in that passage of play, his stats were passes 38 completed 30, therefore he only lost it 5 times in the other 89 minutes, not bad at all.

Was this bit where he lost it any worse than when Holmes lost the ball in his own half resulting in an open net being missed by the Hull player, truly awful decision making.

Not that I’m calling out Holmes, just noting that Bryson didn’t do anything that the others didn’t, yet I feel has come in from unfair criticism (not from you btw)

Flo Jo, made a grand total of 10 passes from 14, and only touched the ball 25 times is another example of a player nowhere near as effective as Bryson, who contributed as much as others imo in the win yesterday.

Depends what you want from your centre mid if you deem it any worse. Holmes is going to lose the ball in those positions from time to time, as do Keogh and Tomori when the emphasis is put on them to create space and open up a team who aren't coming out. I don't have a problem with it tbh, they're trying to make things happen which is the total opposite to Bryson. The second half Irvine sitter chance came from a poor bit of Bryson play from Bogle's throw but that's been totally left out the argument for one reason or another. One player who's winning us games losing the ball or a player who's playing safe every time losing the ball. I think it is worse but that's just me. 

FWIW I don't think Bryson was bad by any stretch, just not as superb as some are saying. Harsh to compare his and Holmes' performances when they're playing totally different games. 

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So he lost it 3 tines in that passage of play, his stats were passes 38 completed 30, therefore he only lost it 5 times in the other 89 minutes, not bad at all.

One poor pass and got tackled for the other 2.

Was this bit where he lost it any worse than when Holmes lost the ball in his own half resulting in an open net being missed by the Hull player, truly awful decision making.

No where near as bad, the main point I was highlighting was he good without the ball, closing down/tackling but not very good with ball, safe passes or misplaced/being tackled. 

Not that I’m calling out Holmes, just noting that Bryson didn’t do anything that the others didn’t, yet I feel has come in from unfair criticism (not from you btw)

Holmes was a bit hit and miss yesterday, neither had a stand out game. 

Flo Jo, made a grand total of 10 passes from 14, and only touched the ball 25 times is another example of a player nowhere near as effective as Bryson, who contributed as much as others imo in the win yesterday.

I gave a player summary to my mate who couldn't make the match and completely forgot about him, to which I said actually summed up his match, forgettable. 

23 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Depends what you want from your centre mid if you deem it any worse. Holmes is going to lose the ball in those positions from time to time, as do Keogh and Tomori when the emphasis is put on them to create space and open up a team who aren't coming out. I don't have a problem with it tbh, they're trying to make things happen which is the total opposite to Bryson. The second half Irvine sitter chance came from a poor bit of Bryson play from Bogle's throw but that's been totally left out the argument for one reason or another. One player who's winning us games losing the ball or a player who's playing safe every time losing the ball. I think it is worse but that's just me. 

FWIW I don't think Bryson was bad by any stretch, just not as superb as some are saying. Harsh to compare his and Holmes' performances when they're playing totally different games. 

I’d say that it was the wrong place to try what he was doing, he has lost the ball a few times recently by trying to take a player on and losing it. If he is further up the field then fine, however in your own half when the majority of your team are in front of you isn’t.

Players are going to lose the ball, and I don’t like to be critical of this as it’s part and parcel of the game, however my point was that for some reason Bryson was getting a bit of stick for something that all players are guilty off. 

4 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

I’d say that it was the wrong place to try what he was doing, he has lost the ball a few times recently by trying to take a player on and losing it. If he is further up the field then fine, however in your own half when the majority of your team are in front of you isn’t.

Players are going to lose the ball, and I don’t like to be critical of this as it’s part and parcel of the game, however my point was that for some reason Bryson was getting a bit of stick for something that all players are guilty off. 

The criticism of Bryson isn't that he makes mistakes. It's because he's often avoiding taking any risks to make a mistake.

I haven't seen the game yesterday yet but there's seems to be a "Ha! Where are the Bryson haters now"

Well, I'm not a Bryson hater. But I'm still saying he's not contributed enough this season. The vast majority of his passing is as negative as Butterfield. I expect him to have near on 85% pass acc. And if he's had a storming game yesterday then good on him and keep it up. It's not wiped out the last 6 months but it's a start. 

But I can barely remember any Bryson errors this season. He's been a passenger. 

Now that could be down to the role Lampard gives him. I dunno. I just know rolling the ball 5 yards the way your facing isn't solving the problems we've been having lately of moving the ball into the front players accurately 

11 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

It's a fine line between being the wrong place or being a brilliant bit of play to opening up a team. Of course being further up the field would be better but we don't magically get 40 yards further up the pitch by playing safe one two's with the defenders. I don't think we've got the personnel in midfield or we've quite took onboard Franks ideas yet to be good enough to get up the field with ease. 

Agree with the bottom bit, we're nitpicking both players' downfalls from yesterday when losing the ball is always going to be there. Loadsa' positives so happy to move on. 

13 minutes ago, Alpha said:

The criticism of Bryson isn't that he makes mistakes. It's because he's often avoiding taking any risks to make a mistake.

I haven't seen the game yesterday yet but there's seems to be a "Ha! Where are the Bryson haters now"

Well, I'm not a Bryson hater. But I'm still saying he's not contributed enough this season. The vast majority of his passing is as negative as Butterfield. I expect him to have near on 85% pass acc. And if he's had a storming game yesterday then good on him and keep it up. It's not wiped out the last 6 months but it's a start. 

But I can barely remember any Bryson errors this season. He's been a passenger. 

Now that could be down to the role Lampard gives him. I dunno. I just know rolling the ball 5 yards the way your facing isn't solving the problems we've been having lately of moving the ball into the front players accurately 

If FL gives him the role though to chase down the ball and keep it simple then he is doing the job asked of him. I haven’t said he had a stormer yesterday, but sometimes you need Brysons energy and endeavour that allows others to make them killer passes that aren’t part of his game.

Passenger, definitely not, as good as he has been in previous years probably not, the work and contribution to the team he does going unnoticed by some fans, definitely so.

Been a bit lazy so only  Read the last couple pages of the thread so apologies if I’m repeating. 

Complete performance today from defence to attack. All played their part only Jozefzoon was poor. Team sheet looking strong again with King and. Cole on the bench. Thought Malone (not his biggest fan normally) and Bryson had good games with the new signings breathing down their necks. 

Waghorn clear motm with Huddlestone not far behind, particular in the 1st half. Thought Bennett played well when he came on and King showed some nice touches. Things looking good, let’s beat Ipswich to set us nicely for our road to Wembley, hopefully 2 visits this year! 

3 hours ago, Alpha said:

Yes, it does get boring doesn't it?! It seems some just want to goad for a reaction.

Instead, it would have been great just to concentrate on a good performance against a team who have been in very good form.

Was at work yesterday following the match play through the BBC and straight to the pub afterwards to celebrate! With our recent acquisitions hopefully we can now regularly maintain this sort of performance.

I thought Bryson was excellent yesterday, hasn't played that well all season in my opinion. Maybe the signing of King has given him a kick up the arse. Also thought Huddlestone and Keogh had good games, can't see how Evans starts whilst Huddlestone is fit from now. 

Strangely, Wilson seemed to be off it. Everything he tried didn't come off and he gave it away more than a few times - reminiscent of another Welsh winger we have. Maybe we should put Holmes back out wide and Wilson back in the middle? 

Also think Cole has to start of Wednesday. Malone was poor yesterday, and there is no point making a signing if he isn't going to play. 

1 hour ago, RamsFan10 said:

I thought Bryson was excellent yesterday, hasn't played that well all season in my opinion. Maybe the signing of King has given him a kick up the arse. Also thought Huddlestone and Keogh had good games, can't see how Evans starts whilst Huddlestone is fit from now. 

Strangely, Wilson seemed to be off it. Everything he tried didn't come off and he gave it away more than a few times - reminiscent of another Welsh winger we have. Maybe we should put Holmes back out wide and Wilson back in the middle? 

Also think Cole has to start of Wednesday. Malone was poor yesterday, and there is no point making a signing if he isn't going to play. 

Malone had a decent game in my opinion.

Well I'll be really controversial then and say I thought BOTH Bryso and Malone did well yesterday. The former seems to have been given the Mascherano-type role (his Barca days) where his main remit is to give opposing midfields no time to pick a pass. He can't pass like Huddz or Homeless and never could so I don't expect him to be especially creative now and given he plays deeper than in the Mac1 era, nor do I expect him to be finding the net 10-15 times a year after linking with our 9.

What he does do is work tremendously hard as well as trying to offer an outlet against any opposition press. Clearly Frank values those attributes more than a few on here do but then you can't please everyone, can you?

Fact is, we did a good job yesterday so perhaps his role is more about the team performance and evaluating him as an individual is therefore missing the point somewhat?

Archived