Derby County v Hull City Match thread.

RadioactiveWaste

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FT 2-0

No-one had a bad game.

A couple of mistakes from Tomori, a mistake from Holmes and a combined mistake from Bryson & Bogle were, I think, the only black spots on the whole game. When they were so occasional you can remember them all, that's probably a good thing.

Roos didn't put a foot wrong. He was beaten twice, but it's quite easy for a shot to beat a GK when it also goes wide ? 
Bogle struggled with Grosicki's pace all game, but didn't do too much wrong. Was very good going forward.
Keogh his usual excellent self.
Tomori had 2 good chances from corners, and played well. One mistake went unpunished as Hull dallied, the other he recovered himself with an excellent tackle.
Malone didn't have a lot to do defensively, but was probably our best attacking player behind Waghorn.
Huddlestone solid. Nothing of note.
Holmes with an absolute howler early on that Hull somehow didn't score from - but very good for the rest of the game. Beautiful assist for the first goal.
Bryson with a good game. I've been critical of him a lot this season, but he was much improved on the ball today and pressed well off it, helped out the defense at a couple of important times too.
Jozefzoon decidely average. Good movement and positioning, created a lot of space for himself and others. But balanced out the good work by being woeful on the ball.
Wilson very quiet, but did his part. Pulled the defenders around and came deep at good times. Was in a lot of space for a couple of late breakaways but wasn't seen by Waghorn or Malone.
Waghorn MOTM even without considering the goals. A nuisance. Strong. Held the ball up well. Made good runs. Great all round game. 2 goals to cap it off. Although lucky to get a second jab at the first goal - initially well saved by Marshall.

Mason Bennett did some good work, but was his usual rough-around-the-edges self.
Andy King didn't do much, but he didn't put a toe wrong when he had the ball. Made decisions quickly, passed and moved with good pace. Looks classy.
Ashley Cole touched the ball twice. Both times he found a Derby player. 'Nuff said. Good to get a winning debut though, and for Waghorn to get his ovation.

An enjoyable game to watch, all in all. Not very open. Hull pressed well in our half, but weren't very cohesive in their own. Derby were very patient, very professional, and resoundingly deserved to win.

The stats look pretty dominant. Any game with 20 goal attempts is good and 10 on target is spectacular. Third clean sheet in a row as we enter the business end of the season, which is great for the defence and Kelle Roos. 

That we're still 7th shows what an important win this was. Had we lost, there'd have been meltdown on the forum, a gap above us and Hull just a point behind. The season is in our hands and if we keep winning the others will eventually fall by the wayside. 

Pleased Waggy has shown he can play centre forward and push Marriott when fit. Bogle is back. King and Cole got on the pitch. Bring on the tractor boys! 

Screenshot_20190209-170439.thumb.png.e8f81976a3fd31fe7faea44921e5be1a.png

8 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Isn’t it just amazing how quiet it is on here when we win?

Just logged in, had work to do this afternoon.

Noticed the match thread was only 18 pages long and figured we must have won ?

4 minutes ago, Gritters said:

Not much to moan about today. Although don’t give Holmes the ball in our half and Bogle can’t shoot.

I've seen holmes with the ball in our half lots of times and he never looks under pressure and as with Southampton he actually most of time is one of our best players with the ball in our own half. That was just a one off

10 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

It beggars belief that we almost sold Huddlestone on deadline day. That was as good a performance that you will see at this level. 

Amazing that he’s ‘oh so slow’ - had an extra yard on everyone on the pitch 

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Just a mention that before this game quite a few were anxious about Hull as they have been very good. Does our win mean we are very good or are we lucky and met them on a off day? ?

All I care about is that we've taken 6 points off, and knocked out of a cup, the team of my in-laws. 

Just now, coneheadjohn said:

I’m sure there’ll be something to complain about.

I won't be paying attention to the forum tomorrow - but mention me in the "how bad was Jozefzoon" discussion that will start tomorrow. Maybe even this evening. Just so I know it happened ? 

Archived