Rowett ball v Lampard way

FindernRam

A lot of discussion has been that although we are slightly worse off in points etc than last year, the football has been more exciting. It certainly was to start with, but do we still think so?

Frankly since probably the end of November our play style has been quite dire at times.Last night was almost typical of recent matches (perhaps a bit worse) no shots on target, just 2 corners, pathetic pass completion (74%). Several games have been like this.

It feels like we haven't really progressed this year. 

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

A lot of discussion has been that although we are slightly worse off in points etc than last year, the football has been more exciting. It certainly was to start with, but do we still think so?

Frankly since probably the end of November our play style has been quite dire at times.Last night was almost typical of recent matches (perhaps a bit worse) no shots on target, just 2 corners, pathetic pass completion (74%). Several games have been like this.

For me the difference is the level of anticipation going to Pride Park on a Saturday / Sunday / Tuesday / Wednesday / Friday. With Rowett it was getting to the stage of me seriously considering missing the odd match because I couldn't be bothered and even renewing my season ticket. 

Since Lampard has taken over, we may not have gathered the same number of points as last season, have 2 or 3 key players on loan who might not be here next season and are currently going through a period of poor form but I feel much more optimistic of the next couple of years.

When Frank's way isn't working the team still work hard, Rowett's team just worked hard.

I think the honeymoon for Frank is over, and now it's the think of the gritty part of the season. So far we've been doing enough to keep pace, if we navigate our way back to decent form sooner than later I think we can definitely say Frank's doing better.

I remember a lot of feeling that well, the rowett way at least we'll keep grinding, but we dropped off the cliff with him as we did Clement and mcclaren before.

Always said this is a transition season, I just want to go to games and enjoy them

Future is bright with frank and top teams are willing to loan us players for development

If you are sarri or klopp, would you loan players to Rowett? Would you balls

I would prefer Frank any day, it is slightly concerning he isn’t learning or adapting as quickly as I thought he would. It was obvious yesterday’s line up had zero creativity and so it proved, zero shots on target, hardly any off target either. He keeps picking Bryson in a 3 man midfield and putting Nugent on too. It’s like playing with 9 men, 8 if you count Evans. Next week is a crucial game in my opinion. He will have more options to pick from and needs to pick a creative team, like we had pre Christmas. We won’t hang on to 6th playing like we have in the last two games 

6 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Always said this is a transition season, I just want to go to games and enjoy them

Future is bright with frank and top teams are willing to loan us players for development

If you are sarri or klopp, would you loan players to Rowett? Would you balls

Blimey, i knew we were close to the edge on FFP but hadn't realised we were down to loaning balls as well as players.

It’s certainly a valid point to make. We scored more and conceded less under Rowett at this stage last season and neither have been particularly good to watch. When we are on it like against West Brom and first half of Boro, it looks good but for the majority of the time it hasn’t been great. I don’t buy that this is a transition season, if that was the case, why are we relying on players who won’t be here next season. I’ve felt that this season is the one where we are going for it and the transition season will be next season when players’ contracts are up and the loan players go back to their parent clubs.

We shouldn't forget that this is Frank's very first season as a manager and we have a very young team, which is exactly what many fans were calling for, so to see us where we are is quite remarkable.  I would most definitely stick with the 'Lampard Way' , Rowett had his chance and ducked it up!

20 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I don’t buy that this is a transition season, if that was the case, why are we relying on players who won’t be here next season. I’ve felt that this season is the one where we are going for it and the transition season will be next season when players’ contracts are up and the loan players go back to their parent clubs.

This is absolutely a transitional season. Not only are we transitioning in our style of play but at the end of the year we're going to be moving on a lot of the 'old guard' from seasons past and starting next season with an almost completely fresh slate.

We're relying on players who won't be here because we're quite obviously trying to move away from our previous strategy which was 'throw money at it until we go up'. The past few years really hurt us financially and mismanagment left us with a bloated squad on big wages which is why we're relying so heavily on the loan market. This season is transitional, next season is building a new squad together and not until the third year should we treat promotion as an absolute expectation.

It just sums up our fanbase that we come into the season with modest expectations then as soon as we start doing decently we're apparently going for it or bust.

2 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

This is absolutely a transitional season. Not only are we transitioning in our style of play but at the end of the year we're going to be moving on a lot of the 'old guard' from seasons past and starting next season with an almost completely fresh slate.

We're relying on players who won't be here because we're quite obviously trying to move away from our previous strategy which was 'throw money at it until we go up'. The past few years really hurt us financially and mismanagment left us with a bloated squad on big wages which is why we're relying so heavily on the loan market. This season is transitional, next season is building a new squad together and not until the third year should we treat promotion as an absolute expectation.

It just sums up our fanbase that we come into the season with modest expectations then as soon as we start doing decently we're apparently going for it or bust.

I disagree, nowhere has Lampard come out and said this is a transition season, he said promotion is the aim. Don’t get me wrong I’m glad we have got King and Cole in, but they’re in their thirties, Waghorn, Malone and Jozefzoon aren’t exactly young either . If this was a transition season, Lowe would still be here and we’d be integrating as many youngsters(from our own academy), as much as possible like Bird to help them get used to the league like Fulham did with sessengon. They’ve played minutes but not many. Before you say Bogle, he fell into place because of the poor form of Wisdom. And I didn’t say poo or bust, but it doesn’t make sense for it to be a transition season when half the squad won’t be here next year. In fact it would be mad doing that. Next season should be the transition year when Lampard has the chance to rebuild the squad completely.

I think most right minded Derby fans are right behind Frank, and so we should be, I for one have enjoyed most of the season so far, it's nice to see a younger, hungry squad, and I can see so many positives Young players like Bird, Bogle, Thomas and many more players coming from the under 18s and 23s, signing young talent from the lower leagues Marriott and Holmes, and I believe we will be involved in the  play  offs again, love the way Frank is going about his first season in charge, but posters like Mclovin and Findern ram, will always find ways to moan about the team, win the next 5 games and we will hear nothing from them, draw or lose they can not wait to say how bad we are, you bore me, with your negative views, support the team, and start to enjoy your team, are you ever happy with anything in life lol.

3 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

I think most right minded Derby fans are right behind Frank, and so we should be, I for one have enjoyed most of the season so far, it's nice to see a younger, hungry squad, and I can see so many positives Young players like Bird, Bogle, Thomas and many more players coming from the under 18s and 23s, signing young talent from the lower leagues Marriott and Holmes, and I believe we will be involved in the  play  offs again, love the way Frank is going about his first season in charge, but posters like Mclovin and Findern ram, will always find ways to moan about the team, win the next 5 games and we will hear nothing from them, draw or lose they can not wait to say how bad we are, you bore me, with your negative views, support the team, and start to enjoy your team, are you ever happy with anything in life lol.

Utter garbage. So we don’t support the team because we have different views to yourself? And Bird has hardly played and Thomas has been out on loan

4 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

Well said Derby blood

1 hour ago, FindernRam said:

Did you miss Wilson hitting the woodwork twice ?

I don't think we expected a first time manager to be getting everything right first time round. At least with Frank if we go behind I still have faith that we might come back from it. Under Rowett its game over. 

Not to mention the fact that Frank basically had almost no fullbacks to choose from last night or our main striker or the lynch pin of the midfield. We are struggling with injuries and have no cash to bring any replacements in at the moment. I don't really think Frank can do much better with the limited resources he has at his disposal at the moment and his use of our academy is a really refreshing change over some of our recent managers.

47 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

This doesn't necessarily fill me with happiness, I've not been overwhelmed with FLs squad building so far.

1 hour ago, TomG said:

We shouldn't forget that this is Frank's very first season as a manager and we have a very young team, which is exactly what many fans were calling for, so to see us where we are is quite remarkable.  I would most definitely stick with the 'Lampard Way' , Rowett had his chance and ducked it up!

It may not look so “very young” next week. His 2 latest acquisitions have a combined age of 70 next Birthday 

Archived