Is Frank ready for Chelsea

peachmyster

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, McLovin said:

Nowhere near ready in my opinion. Chelsea fans have a go at Sarri for his slow football when we arguably have been the same with slow, pedestrian passing on many occasions this season. I could see that being a disaster like Thierry Henry with Monaco.

I don’t think the Solskjaer- Man Utd comparison is a valid one because Ferguson is rumoured to be helping him pull the strings at the top whenever he needs it. Man Utd also have lots of money, being the massive club they are,  whereas Chelsea are on a downward spiral with cho and hazard looking likely to leave and abramovic not wanting to spend a lot of money.

I get the comparison with Henry but I think that does Lampard a disservice. Henry’s man management at Monaco was bizarre at times - like when he asked a player to come back and tuck his seat under a table in front of the press.

Connecting with the players is one of the most important parts of the modern game, and many ex players who were elite players find it difficult to connect with players who don’t have their abilities. On the evidence so far, it seems that Henry suffers from the same problem.

Lampard appears to have the understandings of the game and the intellect required to work with players at this level, and that’s a good sign.

7 minutes ago, Duracell said:

I get the comparison with Henry but I think that does Lampard a disservice. Henry’s man management at Monaco was bizarre at times - like when he asked a player to come back and tuck his seat under a table in front of the press.

Connecting with the players is one of the most important parts of the modern game, and many ex players who were elite players find it difficult to connect with players who don’t have their abilities. On the evidence so far, it seems that Henry suffers from the same problem.

Lampard appears to have the understandings of the game and the intellect required to work with players at this level, and that’s a good sign.

Henry did that because he wanted to teach the Monaco players about discipline. May seem odd now but in his mind I guess it teaches respect. Chelsea also don’t have a father figure who is willing to help the manager like Man Utd do with Ferguson. I like Lampard, but the Leeds fiasco and how it rattled him showed a lot to me. It may have had an effect, but don’t say that out in the public because that’s a ready made excuse. I’m not sure Lampard would be able to handle the egos at Chelsea, but he wouldn’t be the only one. Sarri, Conte , Mourinho and Ancelotti struggled.

I understand why Chelsea fans want him back because he’s a legend there, but they already have someone who knows the club inside out in Zola and he’s finding it hard too.

3 hours ago, Duracell said:

I get the comparison with Henry but I think that does Lampard a disservice. Henry’s man management at Monaco was bizarre at times - like when he asked a player to come back and tuck his seat under a table in front of the press...

Ooh... I like that.  I'd like to think that's what I would do if I was a manager (and we were all on club duty, of course).  A bit of old fashioned respect and good manners.  Lavverly!  

4 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

The obvious answer is no. Even OGS had some managerial experience before taking a temporary role at Man U. 

I think Frank is sensible enough to know when he will be ready to take the next step. That next step might not be a top 6 team even. 

I listened to a really good show on Talksport the other day with Motson and Curbishley and Curbs mentioned WHU came in a couple of times when he was at Charlton and he did not think he was ready at that point. I hope Frank has the same sort of thought process and when he time is right he goes onto achieve as much in management as he did as a player. And we can all follow his progress with a bit of pride that we played a small part. 

I listened to that show - it was really good. And good to see Curbs got his dosh from WHU. No wonder he wasn’t in a rush to get back in the Prem rat race.

On 01/02/2019 at 19:13, peachmyster said:

Listening to talk sport this afternoon they were discussing sarri and his future at Chelsea should they lose tomorrow. They mentioned what a fantastic job OGS  is doing at Man U the fact that former hero’s with history at a club can transform confidence and get players playing well again. I understand this does not work at every club look what happened with our previous hero’s managing us.

there question to listens was do they think Lampard will be in the frame for the CHelsea job

my personal view would be I think he would be great fit like OGS is at Man U as the Chelsea fans love him I also think he would go in a flash if the job was offered.i would be gutted if this was to happen as he brings so much to the club

discus / thoughts ?

mods feel free to delete if there is another thread for this as I was not sure where to put

They have alot of air time to fill on talk sport. 

On 02/02/2019 at 10:08, McLovin said:

I like Lampard, but the Leeds fiasco and how it rattled him showed a lot to me. 

I got crucified for saying this, but it's true, he lost his composure and showed it publicly. Is that down to inexperience or something in his character? Don't know, but he let the mask of consummate professional slip over something that didn't warrant it, imo. 

On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 03:13, peachmyster said:

Listening to talk sport this afternoon they were discussing sarri and his future at Chelsea should they lose tomorrow. They mentioned what a fantastic job OGS  is doing at Man U the fact that former hero’s with history at a club can transform confidence and get players playing well again. I understand this does not work at every club look what happened with our previous hero’s managing us.

there question to listens was do they think Lampard will be in the frame for the CHelsea job

my personal view would be I think he would be great fit like OGS is at Man U as the Chelsea fans love him I also think he would go in a flash if the job was offered.i would be gutted if this was to happen as he brings so much to the club

discus / thoughts ?

mods feel free to delete if there is another thread for this as I was not sure where to put

I'm not sure he's ready for Derby, nevermind Chelsea. He's certainly still got his "L" plates on.

15 hours ago, McRainy said:

I got crucified for saying this, but it's true, he lost his composure and showed it publicly. Is that down to inexperience or something in his character? Don't know, but he let the mask of consummate professional slip over something that didn't warrant it, imo. 

Hasn't done the "genius" / "God" Bielsa much good, I'm very glad to say. 

Frank's come out of it well.

58 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Frank's come out of it well.

I disagree. Frank's reaction has turned a situation which should have earned us the natural sympathy of most neutrals into one where we are labelled 'fragile' and it looks like we've spat our dummy out. Nathan Jones' and Chris Wilder's responses were much more balanced and realistic. For someone with a high media profile I would have expected Frank to be far more savvy. 

23 minutes ago, McRainy said:

I disagree. Frank's reaction has turned a situation which should have earned us the natural sympathy of most neutrals into one where we are labelled 'fragile' and it looks like we've spat our dummy out. Nathan Jones' and Chris Wilder's responses were much more balanced and realistic. For someone with a high media profile I would have expected Frank to be far more savvy. 

Spat our dummy out? The whole situation was bizarre, unbelievable. Frank couldn't help it that it was all the press were interested in. Much easier to give a measured response when you aren't in the middle of it. Frank didn't go to the length of organising a press conference to try and justify why he was annoyed about it. My only gripe with the situation is that we as a club let it get to us for the match against Leeds, nothing we have done or said says to me spat our dummy out.

Perhaps it showed inexperience in the performance, but that was a situation that some if not most managers will never have faced in their entire career. I would expect a bit more sympathy for him from his own supporters.

As for Chelsea, not ready, a entirely different beast. The way Chelsea operate, there will be many chances for Frank to manage Chelsea should he wish.

3 hours ago, BondJovi said:

. I would expect a bit more sympathy for him from his own supporters.

It's nothing to do with sympathy or support, I just think he lost some credibility with misplaced exaggerations and denials. I realise it is sacrilege to say so. 

1 hour ago, McRainy said:

It's nothing to do with sympathy or support, I just think he lost some credibility with misplaced exaggerations and denials. I realise it is sacrilege to say so. 

I don't think there is any damage to his credibility. We are not the club under investigation. 

Paul Jewell and his film, now that was a credibility crippler. Clough and the knee Davies saga, is that not morally worse? Yet may have been the best thing he did.

Manager annoyed by opposition cheating? People may well remember the situation in the future, it may well be regarded as a baptism of fire but no one will think less of him for it in the game. 

Anyway, if he proves himself here or elsewhere, Chelsea won't give a fig about what he said during the incident.

I think he'd be gone in a heartbeat if Chelsea came calling. Indeed, I think he'd go to any Premier League club not in imminent danger of relegation. Our FFP position means that he might well struggle next season. He won't want that on his record.

I also suspect that he'd do better with better players. I get the feeling that sometimes he struggles to understand why our players can't do the things he found easy. At Chelsea his ideas would be so much easier to implement. 

14 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

I think he'd be gone in a heartbeat if Chelsea came calling. Indeed, I think he'd go to any Premier League club not in imminent danger of relegation. Our FFP position means that he might well struggle next season. He won't want that on his record.

I also suspect that he'd do better with better players. I get the feeling that sometimes he struggles to understand why our players can't do the things he found easy. At Chelsea his ideas would be so much easier to implement. 

Agree with everything except the bit i've highlighted. I think he is very humbled at the chance he has been given here, he's known from the start that money will be tight for a while so it's not as if it's a surprise to him or he was lied to by Mel. He's also said on his 1st fans forum that he wouldn't jump ship if a big club came calling. I think he genuinely wants to take us up and establish us as prem club. 

7 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

Agree with everything except the bit i've highlighted. I think he is very humbled at the chance he has been given here, he's known from the start that money will be tight for a while so it's not as if it's a surprise to him or he was lied to by Mel. He's also said on his 1st fans forum that he wouldn't jump ship if a big club came calling. I think he genuinely wants to take us up and establish us as prem club. 

He'll be a total legend if he really does see this through to this conclusion

3 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

He'll be a total legend if he really does see this through to this conclusion

I agree. I think if he can get us up either this season or next, he'll be able to buy better quality that'll be able to do what he wants on a consistent basis. I agree with cornwall on this, i think he's trying to get the team play like the old chelsea but players at this level, mostly can't do it on a regular basis. If we are in the prem, he'll attract much better players.

Archived