3 hours ago, DCFC4LIFE said:

James(loan)

Bayliss(2m)

Ampadu(loan)

Tomori(5m)

Brownhill is probably the least likely but would be around 4m

How are we supposed to afford £11m?

10 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

We should have bought Maddison last year when we had the chance. But we bought Zoon and Evans instead.

i also said Bradley Dack but he will be too expensive now.

Think Maddison went for around twenty million .  It's only us that accept a packet of cola bottles and some magic beans for young talent .

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Think Maddison went for around twenty million .  It's only us that accept a packet of cola bottles and some magic beans for young talent .

Different Maddison.

The Norwich Maddison went for millions, the Peterbrough Maddison we were linked with is still at Peterbrough. 

18 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

We should have bought Maddison last year when we had the chance. But we bought Zoon and Evans instead.

i also said Bradley Dack but he will be too expensive now.

I dont think he is an impossibility there should be a lot of flexibility with wages when everyone leaves in the summer.

Big fees are a thing of the past for us so Free transfers should be where we focus. 

8 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Different Maddison.

The Norwich Maddison went for millions, the Peterbrough Maddison we were linked with is still at Peterbrough. 

As @MackworthRamIsGod said it’s a different Maddison who also played for Peterborough. Most assists in the football league last season and again this season. Could of had him for a couple of mil

Tomori

Cooper/Lindsay/Pinnock

Reece James

Bannan/Hourihane 

M Maddison

unlikely...but imagine that...

Carson/New GK

Bogle/Tomori      Keogh/Tomori    Davies/New CB     Malone

James      Bannan/Hourihane

Maddison                         Holmes                              Lawrence

Marriott 

I think, if we don't go up, this year should still be seen as a vindication of Lampard's transfer policy. Whether it's been by necessity or not, the signings this season clearly show the potential success of 'low-risk, high-reward' strategy.

Marriott, Holmes and Malone were all reasonably cheap signings that have the potential to eventually become excellent Championship players. Jozefzoon and Evans haven't necessarily worked out so well but they were quite cheap, won't be on massive wages, and seem to fit the system quite well.

The loanees have all been good and added a bit of star quality, although all three have been inconsistent at times.

The only bad signing has been Waghorn, not through his own fault but because he's been forced to play out wide a lot and not properly trusted by Frank. Ultimately though, I think it's unlikely that an £8m aging Championship player will £8m worth of on-field value. The Waghorn experience mirrors the difficulties experienced when signing Johnson, Butterfield and maybe even Lawrence; neither were necessarily an upgrade over what we already had and we could have probably found better players with that 'low-risk, high-reward' factor.

The X-factor in all this is the youth academy. I think Bogle has been one of our better players this year and Bennett, Roos, Lowe and Bird have all contributed as well.

My targets for next season would be:

Continue to give Bogle, Bennett, Lowe and Bird game time. Promote Sibley.

Roos looks better than Carson at this point. I would re-sign him and if Carson doesn't want to sit on the bench, find an experienced keeper who will in case of disaster.

Sign Tomori permanently or on loan again, he obviously has a lot of potential. I think he'd look better alongside Davis than Keogh though.

Central midfield is the obvious area where we need depth. Aribo is available on a free and is very highly-rated, could easily be a Bryson replacement. Trevoh Chalobah looked ace for Ipswich when we played them and could be available on loan from Chelsea. Oliver Skipp is the sort of promising loanee that Lampard could be trusted with.

Marcus Maddison will be on the transfer list if Peterborough don't get promoted. We could sign him and reunite him and Marriott.

Our squad would look something like:

Starting XI: Roos, Bogle, Davis, Tomori, Malone, Chalobah, Aribo, Holmes, Lawrence, Maddison, Marriott.

Bench: ?, Wisdom, Lowe, Evans, Skipp, Bennett, Waghorn.

Depth: MacDonald, Bird, Sibley, Jozefzoon.

That's not a brilliant squad, but there would be so much spare cash to splash on extra quality if we could identify the correct player to push us over the top.

11 hours ago, MK-Ram said:

Tomori

Cooper/Lindsay/Pinnock

Reece James

Bannan/Hourihane 

M Maddison

unlikely...but imagine that...

Carson/New GK

Bogle/Tomori      Keogh/Tomori    Davies/New CB     Malone

James      Bannan/Hourihane

Maddison                         Holmes                              Lawrence

Marriott 

Carson

Bogle           Keogh           Tomori      Malone

James/chalobah      Huddlestone

Piazon                     Holmes                        Lawrence

Marriott

On 11 March 2019 at 11:18, Posh Ram said:

I think, if we don't go up, this year should still be seen as a vindication of Lampard's transfer policy. Whether it's been by necessity or not, the signings this season clearly show the potential success of 'low-risk, high-reward' strategy.

Marriott, Holmes and Malone were all reasonably cheap signings that have the potential to eventually become excellent Championship players. Jozefzoon and Evans haven't necessarily worked out so well but they were quite cheap, won't be on massive wages, and seem to fit the system quite well.

The loanees have all been good and added a bit of star quality, although all three have been inconsistent at times.

The only bad signing has been Waghorn, not through his own fault but because he's been forced to play out wide a lot and not properly trusted by Frank. Ultimately though, I think it's unlikely that an £8m aging Championship player will £8m worth of on-field value. The Waghorn experience mirrors the difficulties experienced when signing Johnson, Butterfield and maybe even Lawrence; neither were necessarily an upgrade over what we already had and we could have probably found better players with that 'low-risk, high-reward' factor.

The X-factor in all this is the youth academy. I think Bogle has been one of our better players this year and Bennett, Roos, Lowe and Bird have all contributed as well.

My targets for next season would be:

Continue to give Bogle, Bennett, Lowe and Bird game time. Promote Sibley.

Roos looks better than Carson at this point. I would re-sign him and if Carson doesn't want to sit on the bench, find an experienced keeper who will in case of disaster.

Sign Tomori permanently or on loan again, he obviously has a lot of potential. I think he'd look better alongside Davis than Keogh though.

Central midfield is the obvious area where we need depth. Aribo is available on a free and is very highly-rated, could easily be a Bryson replacement. Trevoh Chalobah looked ace for Ipswich when we played them and could be available on loan from Chelsea. Oliver Skipp is the sort of promising loanee that Lampard could be trusted with.

Marcus Maddison will be on the transfer list if Peterborough don't get promoted. We could sign him and reunite him and Marriott.

Our squad would look something like:

Starting XI: Roos, Bogle, Davis, Tomori, Malone, Chalobah, Aribo, Holmes, Lawrence, Maddison, Marriott.

Bench: ?, Wisdom, Lowe, Evans, Skipp, Bennett, Waghorn.

Depth: MacDonald, Bird, Sibley, Jozefzoon.

That's not a brilliant squad, but there would be so much spare cash to splash on extra quality if we could identify the correct player to push us over the top.

Waghorn a bad signing? Not Evans? ?

If the new Fifa rule to limit each club to 6 outgoing loans comes into force, then Chelsea will be looking to sell many of their youngsters. Maybe with heavy sell on clauses or buy back clauses.

Would be happy if we could purchase Tomori, James and Clarke-Salter if someone is daft enough to buy Lawrence and we dont renew the old farts contracts.

Pick up Aribo and Browne on frees and we are a winger and Cf on loan from being a side that can challenge.

20 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Stuart Findlay from Kilmarnock.

23-year-old centre-half. Strong in the tackle, tall and has bags of potential. Likely to be "cheap" too. 

Good shout!

Theres also a few more young Scots who's contracts expire this summer that are definitely worth a look...

Craig Halkett (previous linked cb for Livi)

Jake Hastie (Motherwell winger we are linked with)

Adam Frizzell (Killie Midfielder)

Chris Cadden (Motherwell midfielder)

14 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Waghorn a bad signing? Not Evans? ?

Considering how much they both cost, I'd say Waghorn is a worse signing. He's played well but I don't know what Frank was thinking spending £8m on someone then playing him out of position for most of the season.

Evans isn't particularly good but it was always a low-risk buy with v limited financial consequences.

22 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

Considering how much they both cost, I'd say Waghorn is a worse signing. He's played well but I don't know what Frank was thinking spending £8m on someone then playing him out of position for most of the season.

Evans isn't particularly good but it was always a low-risk buy with v limited financial consequences.

Did he? Or was that a speculative figure which comprised of numerous add-ons and various other clauses?

50 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

5 million for Waggers I think and risk doesn't enter in to it, it is how they perform on the pitch and Evans has been pretty poor to be fair....I think it is difficult to judge Waggers until he gets a decent period of playing central striker.....

2 hours ago, Kamikaze said:

Good shout!

Theres also a few more young Scots who's contracts expire this summer that are definitely worth a look...

Craig Halkett (previous linked cb for Livi)

Jake Hastie (Motherwell winger we are linked with)

Adam Frizzell (Killie Midfielder)

Chris Cadden (Motherwell midfielder)

Hastie is a very exciting player but I think he's pretty much set to sign for Rangers on a free.

46 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

5 million for Waggers I think and risk doesn't enter in to it, it is how they perform on the pitch and Evans has been pretty poor to be fair....I think it is difficult to judge Waggers until he gets a decent period of playing central striker.....

what do we do with marriott then because they don't seem to be able to work together.  I'm with @Posh Ramnot sure why we bought both of them

53 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Not convinced he's a central striker. He pulled us all over the place last season playing mainly wide right but cutting inside onto his left foot.

Archived