19/20 Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread

Nuwtfly

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the loan market is the market we are shopping in, can’t we spread the net a bit wider than the Premier League?

I’d rather have a top youngster from a top European club than feel like we are Chelsea B.

I mean if we want a good young player, surely we should be looking at a club like Porto - where salaries are lower than in England and young players have limited opportunities - who won the UEFA Youth League, or a club of a similar stature?

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

If the loan market is the market we are shopping in, can’t we spread the net a bit wider than the Premier League?

I’d rather have a top youngster from a top European club than feel like we are Chelsea B.

I mean if we want a good young player, surely we should be looking at a club like Porto - where salaries are lower than in England and young players have limited opportunities - who won the UEFA Youth League, or a club of a similar stature?

Ask yourself this...

Why would Porto want to send a top young player to the Championship?

... and that's why we can't have nice things.

2 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Ask yourself this...

Top clubs send their prospects to foreign leagues all of the time.

At the end of the day, if you don’t ask, you never know.

I am not saying it’s the answer - we have all seen how well the Forest and Benfica connection has worked out - but there’s no harm in using our imagination if we are looking for a bargain.

I think you are doing the Championship a disservice too. It’s a good standard when compared to Portuguese second division football, which is what most of the top youngsters at Porto would be reduced to playing, or playing at the lower end of the top division on loan.

17 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Why do you feel like we are Chelsea B when we haven’t signed anyone from Chelsea?

Just now, EnigmaRam said:

Why do you feel like we are Chelsea B when we haven’t signed anyone from Chelsea?

I don’t feel like we are Chelsea B. Not yet, at least.

But a lot of people seem satisfied to go back to Chelsea and get the pick of their youngsters due to the Lampard connection.

Personally I would hope we could be more imaginative than that.

There’s no argument that Chelsea have a top class youth system, but there are other clubs across Europe who possess exciting young players too.

Just now, Jourdan said:

I don’t feel like we are Chelsea B. Not yet, at least.

But a lot of people seem satisfied to go back to Chelsea and get the pick of their youngsters due to the Lampard connection.

Personally I would hope we could be more imaginative than that.

There’s no argument that Chelsea have a top class youth system, but there are other clubs across Europe who possess exciting young players too.

I guess if they have the right type of player we are after then that’s good enough irrespective of ties etc.

if they are good enough to improve us where does it matter they come from?

15 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

I guess if they have the right type of player we are after then that’s good enough irrespective of ties etc.

if they are good enough to improve us where does it matter they come from?

Fair point. Ultimately it doesn’t.

I guess I just don’t want to feel like we owe Chelsea something, and I definitely don’t want Lampard taking credit away from Cocu, if we sign 2-3 of their prospects and they play a key role in any potential success we have.

Because that’s how the media will frame it.

55 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

It could be that getting a young lad from abroad to settle in England is a tougher and therefore a little riskier than someone whose been playing in England for a while. But I get your point. 

4 minutes ago, desirelines said:

It could be that getting a young lad from abroad to settle in England is a tougher and therefore a little riskier than someone whose been playing in England for a while. But I get your point. 

Having lived abroad all alone at a very young age, I completely understand what you are saying. There is a big risk attached and homesickness and culture shock are very possible. But it really comes down to the club and how much of a support network they put in place.

That said, every signing is a gamble and I don't think that should deter us from casting the net a little wider. I mean should we get to the Premier League, we can't rely on those same clubs to help us out and we are going to have to start shopping in different markets. We might as well give ourselves a head start.

9 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Having lived abroad all alone at a very young age, I completely understand what you are saying. There is a big risk attached and homesickness and culture shock are very possible. But it really comes down to the club and how much of a support network they put in place.

That said, every signing is a gamble and I don't think that should deter us from casting the net a little wider. I mean should we get to the Premier League, we can't rely on those same clubs to help us out and we are going to have to start shopping in different markets. We might as well give ourselves a head start.

They have that player liaison officer to look after all the nuts and bolts of settling.

But that's no substitute for knowing what topics to spout off about in the Stoat and Ferret on a Sunday afternoon....? I can imagine coming from a very family based culture would be difficult.

21 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Actually if we’d got to the Prem we would have been in a better position to sign Tomori and Wilson. That would go for other loans aswell, just wouldn’t be able to play against parent clubs

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

Ask yourself this...

They wouldn’t because there are no drug laws in Portugal 

6 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

They have that player liaison officer to look after all the nuts and bolts of settling.

But that's no substitute for knowing what topics to spout off about in the Stoat and Ferret on a Sunday afternoon....? I can imagine coming from a very family based culture would be difficult.

It’s true that the Portuguese and people from Southern Europe are very family centric, and young people are often overly protected and supported by their parents.

But if we are being specific, the Portuguese are very sociable people and their level of English is improving rapidly. They are also very ambitious and very driven and the younger generation in particular understand that invariably their prospects will be better abroad.

So while I can understand the reservations the club might have, I personally think it’s a risk worth taking.

Archived