19/20 Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread

Nuwtfly

14 minutes ago, Bob Gnarly said:

Since when were wingers the primary source of scoring goals?

Surely beating their man and getting the ball into good areas is more of a priority? Particularly in a Pulis side.

Not speaking in this case in particular, but look across the footballing landscape, there's not that many out and out strikers that are the primary source of goals in their teams... Kane, Aguero (But let's face it, they have goals everywhere)... not many more about. Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Mbappe etc etc all take wider positions more often than not.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Srg said:

Not speaking in this case in particular, but look across the footballing landscape, there's not that many out and out strikers that are the primary source of goals in their teams... Kane, Aguero (But let's face it, they have goals everywhere)... not many more about. Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Mbappe etc etc all take wider positions more often than not.

I think you've found the minority of wingers who score goals and tried to label them as a majority.

If we played a game of naming players who scored the most amount of goals in their team in all leagues across the world, I'd win. 

26 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Liverpool won the Champions League (and nearly won the league) on this basis, didn't they?

That whole one team? 

With two exceptional wingers to be fair.

Maybe I should have narrowed this to more suit my agenda...

35 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Liverpool won the Champions League (and nearly won the league) on this basis, didn't they?

And while Aguero was their individual top scorer, Man City registered the majority of their goals from their wingers.

I bet that trend continues around, to be honest. Most teams play with more wingers nowadays than strikers so the odds are in favour!

Whether or not its important for a winger to be scoring/assisting is dependant on whether they're playing as a forward (like Wilson did for most of his time with us) and the Liverpool wingers do, or as a midfielder. For the latter, their influence on the transitional play is more important than individual end product.

37 minutes ago, Bob Gnarly said:

That whole one team? 

With two exceptional wingers to be fair.

Maybe I should have narrowed this to more suit my agenda...

I think we need to define what a winger actually is. Someone playing in a wide position is not necessarily a winger. The old definition was a player who went around the defender and put a cross in. I would argue the Liverpool players referred to are strikers.

1 hour ago, KCG said:

I think we need to define what a winger actually is. Someone playing in a wide position is not necessarily a winger. The old definition was a player who went around the defender and put a cross in. I would argue the Liverpool players referred to are strikers.

Agree with this.

I would say Traore is a winger as opposed to a striker in a wide position, hence the goal contribution tally that he has.

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

George Puscas looks the real deal against England U21. He's currently plying his trade for Palermo in the second division in Italy. He's caught my eye - well him and Tomori. 

Yes it is a bit peculiar he has dropped into Serie B as he has full caps as well.

Maybe it's the Palermo connection, play for our club or sleep with the fishes

1 hour ago, Fraser_23 said:

Just seen Newcastle centre back Lascelles at Derby train station. Think he’s from Derby so could be nothing 

Or the train from Newcastle goes through Derby! - he could also be getting another train to shottingham where he played 

11 hours ago, Fraser_23 said:

Just seen Newcastle centre back Lascelles at Derby train station. Think he’s from Derby so could be nothing 

He's from Derby - whole family live this way. I don't know too much about him, but I know that his family have big community ties - I think his dad was the Derby Trailblazers head coach at one point. I'm sure I've read that before. 

6 hours ago, Ambitious said:

He's from Derby - whole family live this way. I don't know too much about him, but I know that his family have big community ties - I think his dad was the Derby Trailblazers head coach at one point. I'm sure I've read that before. 

His dad Tim played for Derby Storm back in the nineties, I hung around with the son of the then coach of Derby Storm, Terry Manglum and we washed Tim's car once, Jamaal wasn't even born then.

His family lived in Oakwood on Fiskerton Way.

10 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Yeah probs is. Was with some mates so I assume he’s come back for that. Only stirring about signing lol

4 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Isn't he another of those forest lads who they rinse a club for a big fee on the back of 1 decent season and then they sink without trace?

On the basis that they aren't really all that.

At the start of the year he was linked with Chelsea, Liverpool and arsenal and has recently been linked with Lazio and Napoli. He either has a fantastic agent or is half decent. (He is actually a decent player, small issues with concentration and decision making, but he could be a top player in a year or two)

5 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Isn't he another of those forest lads who they rinse a club for a big fee on the back of 1 decent season and then they sink without trace?

On the basis that they aren't really all that.

He's captain of Newcastle, so he's definitely done better than expected. He is a good player and unlucky not to get an England call up by all accounts. 

Archived