19/20 Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread

Nuwtfly

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

https://the72.co.uk/128861/derby-county-spotted-scouting-greek-game-striker-hits-18th-season/

Scouts have their passports back? Apparently we were in Greece watching a striker.

Seems an odd player from his stats, only recorded a maximum output of 6 in 32 for PAOK over 5 seasons there, shipped out to Atromitos on loan this season and becomes the league's top scorer with 24 in 33. Hard to tell if he's proving his ability now, working in a better system for his style of play at Atromitos than at PAOK, or if he's just having a little bit of a flukey season, but if he were cheap he seems like he could be a good player to take a gamble on.

Also interesting to note Aberdeen scouts were there as well. We're becoming quite inseparable, us and them, aren't we?

1 hour ago, JfR said:

Seems an odd player from his stats, only recorded a maximum output of 6 in 32 for PAOK over 5 seasons there, shipped out to Atromitos on loan this season and becomes the league's top scorer with 24 in 33. Hard to tell if he's proving his ability now, working in a better system for his style of play at Atromitos than at PAOK, or if he's just having a little bit of a flukey season, but if he were cheap he seems like he could be a good player to take a gamble on.

Also interesting to note Aberdeen scouts were there as well. We're becoming quite inseparable, us and them, aren't we?

Its one of those its so random it could be true. Or complete made up rubbish. If its true nice to see us looking further afield for some bargain players.

Higher risk but can really pay off. Better than throwing money on panic buys see Butterfield and Johnson.

17 hours ago, jimbobram said:

Think he'd cost a bit seeing as he's getting promoted with pompy

They haven't been promoted yet - And we got League One's top scorer last year for a decent fee

13 hours ago, JfR said:

He's only 23 - A lot of strikers don't come into their own properly until they get a bit older

Good to see the scouting team getting a bit wider, can often find much better players abroad... we must have the fewest foreign signings in the efl, look at the success Norwich have had with them. Even if we don’t find anyone this window I always think a large, spread out scouting network will be good long term.

19 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Good to see the scouting team getting a bit wider, can often find much better players abroad... we must have the fewest foreign signings in the efl, look at the success Norwich have had with them. Even if we don’t find anyone this window I always think a large, spread out scouting network will be good long term.

I suspect it's more to do with the coaches knowledge base - They have a lot of German players and/or players from Germany because that's the base of knowledge Farke has (and possibly the scouts he brought in)

12 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I suspect it's more to do with the coaches knowledge base - They have a lot of German players and/or players from Germany because that's the base of knowledge Farke has (and possibly the scouts he brought in)

Yeah true that’s always a factor, certainly made things easier for them scouting in Germany. Still can’t hurt to put some scouts out there, have them scouting and watching games long enough and they’ll build up a similar knowledge level and hopefully would be able to find similar gems.

11 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Yeah true that’s always a factor, certainly made things easier for them scouting in Germany. Still can’t hurt to put some scouts out there, have them scouting and watching games long enough and they’ll build up a similar knowledge level and hopefully would be able to find similar gems.

I'm not sure it's quite that simple unfortunately - It takes time to build up that knowledge and we'd essentially have to pay for someone to go live in Germany for a couple of years (plus travelling around plus ticket costs etc etc)

I think mostly they have 'contacts' in the agent world who note things for them and let them know a player might be available and then they can do some one-off scouting

26 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I'm not sure it's quite that simple unfortunately - It takes time to build up that knowledge and we'd essentially have to pay for someone to go live in Germany for a couple of years (plus travelling around plus ticket costs etc etc)

I think mostly they have 'contacts' in the agent world who note things for them and let them know a player might be available and then they can do some one-off scouting

Oh yeah I’m not doubting it takes time, I’m just of the belief that that time and expense is worth it in the long term for the savings we’d make if we had a proper global scouting network. It’s also possible to hire scouts with prior knowledge of regions as well tbf, we don’t know that these scouts weren’t Greek themselves.

I suspect you’re right and it is a one off (presumably at that striker as a nuge replacement) but still think it would be good if we did properly expand our horizons a bit.

6 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

Football manager and YouTube are a lot cheaper than scouts

It might identify likely targets but surely an eyes on approach before actually signing anyone would be sensible. We've been better recently but given the utter horlicks we've made of signing some UK based players, I'd favour a safety net when looking at signing players from abroad. 

24 minutes ago, 86 points said:

It might identify likely targets but surely an eyes on approach before actually signing anyone would be sensible. We've been better recently but given the utter horlicks we've made of signing some UK based players, I'd favour a safety net when looking at signing players from abroad. 

The other problem with signing players from abroad is it's really hard to judge the overall standard of the league they play in. I'm not sure what kind of metric you could use either. Honestly, I have no idea what's a higher standard of division out of the Championship and the Greek League, or the Championship and the 2.Bundesliga. So eye test is probably needed.

37 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

The other problem with signing players from abroad is it's really hard to judge the overall standard of the league they play in. I'm not sure what kind of metric you could use either. Honestly, I have no idea what's a higher standard of division out of the Championship and the Greek League, or the Championship and the 2.Bundesliga. So eye test is probably needed.

I guess an option would be to offer scouts in the locales in which we look a commission of some sort rather than a fixed wage. If we sign a player scouted then they either get a fixed commission or a very small percentage of the fee. That'd save us adding to the wage bill and would mitigate any concerns that we'd be paying money for someone sat at home drinking ale rather than actually doing any graft! 

31 minutes ago, 86 points said:

I guess an option would be to offer scouts in the locales in which we look a commission of some sort rather than a fixed wage. If we sign a player scouted then they either get a fixed commission or a very small percentage of the fee. That'd save us adding to the wage bill and would mitigate any concerns that we'd be paying money for someone sat at home drinking ale rather than actually doing any graft! 

That's daft. You'll end up with agents rather than scouts... people trying to sell you players for their own commission rather than the benefit of the club.

11 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

That's daft. You'll end up with agents rather than scouts... people trying to sell you players for their own commission rather than the benefit of the club.

Just because someone suggests that we buy a player doesn't mean we have to. If a scout only got paid on deals transacted then he'd be more likely to try to source viable players than if he's getting paid irrespective of whether his scouting activities yield results or not. On a fixed wage they can just suggest any old rubbish (£500k for Mbappe ring a bell?) as there's no deal incentive in place. Initially you'd get a few chancers for sure, but once it's clear that we will pay a decent whack, by scouting standards at least, for players actually signed, we might be pleasantly surprised. Then again, we could just poo-poo the idea and carry on as we have. What could possibly go wrong?

9 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Just because someone suggests that we buy a player doesn't mean we have to. If a scout only got paid on deals transacted then he'd be more likely to try to source viable players than if he's getting paid irrespective of whether his scouting activities yield results or not. On a fixed wage they can just suggest any old rubbish (£500k for Mbappe ring a bell?) as there's no deal incentive in place. Initially you'd get a few chancers for sure, but once it's clear that we will pay a decent whack, by scouting standards at least, for players actually signed, we might be pleasantly surprised. Then again, we could just poo-poo the idea and carry on as we have. What could possibly go wrong?

I'm not saying that our current scouting system is great. Although I actually don't know any specific details on what this entails.

However, having a scouting system based on commission is nuts. Where is the incentive to look out for the interests of the club? And if you don't take a scouts word for their recommendations, why are you even employing them in the first place? What is your plan B?

Having a scout on a good wage with a good track record for having delivered quality players to previous clubs for good prices is a much more sound approach in my view. 

3 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

I'm not saying that our current scouting system is great. Although I actually don't know any specific details on what this entails.

However, having a scouting system based on commission is nuts. Where is the incentive to look out for the interests of the club? And if you don't take a scouts word for their recommendations, why are you even employing them in the first place? What is your plan B?

Having a scout on a good wage with a good track record for having delivered quality players to previous clubs for good prices is a much more sound approach in my view. 

Full time scouts are lucky to clear £20k with many claiming that their wages scarcely cover their overhead. If that's a good wage and incentive enough in your mind, fair enough. Does rather make you wonder why we've struggled so badly though if it's as simple a process as you make out.

Archived