Tom Huddlestone

DCFC1388

Genuinely surprised by this, as I thought Tom Huddlestone has been used really well by Frank so far this season.

Some games are going to suit him and he'll be MotM, other games you just know he'll get rinsed so you drop him to the bench

Surely Mel must know by  now that getting promoted is all about your Plan B. Look how many games we've been losing, made a tactical switch and come back to win or draw?

If TH goes and we don't get replacement options of the same quality then what was it all for?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huddz isn't one we'd want to lose in an ideal world, but if this transfer allows us to bring in a defender (Pennington?) plus Andy King then I can see the logic.

32 years old, likely to be one of the big earners, and out of contract at the end of the season.

We have Evans/Johnson/Ledley as other DM options so we're not short of numbers in this area, though clearly they don't have the quality that Huddz has.

7 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

He’s good enough to last not far short of that’s here, especially in the prem. Mans a footballing genius, only way to ease the pain would be Hughes coming back

I think your glasses are somewhat tinted.

He's a classy player - and will be a loss, but he's worse this season than he was last season, he still has his nice turns more often than not, but he's still lost the ball a lot more this season and his attempts at playmaking passes have largely been overhit.

Plus, the reason he's even here is because he was having absolute rings run around him in the prem with Hull. 

As I say, its a loss but not one we cant recover from and he's not going to last much longer in high-level football, I don't think. 

WOW - very surprised by this as Tom is a major contributor to our season and our only player who controls the football properly and quickly and can pass it anywhere 

who would replace him? - Evans has not looked good enough - thorne out on loan - johnson out of contract soon

would we get a transfer fee ? 

I understand (but would still be sorry) if we part ways in the summer with him and Bryson but if this is just to add a few short term measures like a defender, King, Mulumbu etc. until the end of the season then I'd rather just keep Huddlestone. He is slow, in some games too slow but 8/9 times out of 10, we are better with him in the team and the control he brings us.

Would hate this to be true. I thought our transfer policy was to bring in players to improve our squad. Still plenty of time yet and most of this is speculation but thus far, all rumours seem to be of decent players leaving and bang average ones coming in. 

2 minutes ago, inter politics said:

I understand (but would still be sorry) if we part ways in the summer with him and Bryson but if this is just to add a few short term measures like a defender, King, Mulumbu etc. until the end of the season then I'd rather just keep Huddlestone. He is slow, in some games too slow but 8/9 times out of 10, we are better with him in the team and the control he brings us.

If we sold Hudds and signed Mulumbu I would be lost for words

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I think your glasses are somewhat tinted.

He's a classy player - and will be a loss, but he's worse this season than he was last season, he still has his nice turns more often than not, but he's still lost the ball a lot more this season and his attempts at playmaking passes have largely been overhit.

Plus, the reason he's even here is because he was having absolute rings run around him in the prem with Hull. 

As I say, its a loss but not one we cant recover from and he's not going to last much longer in high-level football, I don't think. 

I agree that he’s not looked at his best this season, but I think that’s more down to the fact he doesn’t seem to get much of a run. A bit like Waghorn it’s painfully obvious we play better with them in the team, but he gets inexplicably dropped from time to time which stops him getting in the groove, same with Waghorn. Been my main issue with frank really, I’m not convinced he sees the impact of players with a bit of composure in the team.

I think it’ll be a far bigger loss than you give credit to, in fact I’d go as far as saying that if we don’t replace him and continue with Evans for the rest of the campaign we won’t reach top six. There’s been a stark difference to our performances with and without him imo.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

I agree that he’s not looked at his best this season, but I think that’s more down to the fact he doesn’t seem to get much of a run. A bit like Waghorn it’s painfully obvious we play better with them in the team, but he gets inexplicably dropped from time to time which stops him getting in the groove, same with Waghorn. Been my main issue with frank really, I’m not convinced he sees the impact of players with a bit of composure in the team.

I think it’ll be a far bigger loss than you give credit to, in fact I’d go as far as saying that if we don’t replace him and continue with Evans for the rest of the campaign we won’t reach top six. There’s been a stark difference to our performances with and without him imo.

Time yet but other teams around us are strengthening well it seems so us finishing in the top six would be a heck of an accomplishment 

If this is true (big if) we would be losing an absolutely fantastic footballer, but I’m not convinced that the team would be that much worse off without him.  He isn't the first name on the team sheet at the moment and, while Evans hasn’t pulled any trees up yet, Frank obviously wants a more mobile midfield.

I really like Tom in the middle when we are on top and dominant get play, but when we are being pushed back I find him a bit of a luxury.  He doesn’t get around the pitch, he doesn’t really break things up too much and he is often left on his own just in front of the back four being a bit of a passenger.  Another I wouldn’t necessarily want to sell, but if it releases some funds for others then maybe it wouldn’t be the end of the world.  At the end of the day, Frank needs to build HIS team and that means moving a few on.

This doesn't make any sense. January is about making yourself stronger for the final push. Letting go our best defensive midfielder and replacing him with a midfielder who isnt a defensive midfielder is pretty strange. 

Last January we came out of the window weaker than we were at the start.

Got a feeling we might look even worse after this window too.

We need Andy King as well as Huddlestone.

Archived