You think it’s cold here?

David

Americans are being told to limit their breathing and the amount of time they spend outside as temperatures in parts of the country are forecast to drop as low as -70C (-94F).

In Minnesota, where temperatures could drop as low as -70C (-94F) because of wind chills, the local National Weather Service office (NWS) tweeted an ominous warning.

"These are VERY DANGEROUS conditions and can lead to frostbite on exposed skin in as little as five minutes where wind chill values are below -50C (-58F). Best thing you can do is limit your time outside," the office said.

Full story: https://news.sky.com/story/dont-breathe-or-go-outside-americans-told-as-polar-vortex-freezes-us-11622160

?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, FindernRam said:

In Kansas City in winter it regularly gets way below freezing and a lot of the guys told me they had no sense of smell because it cauterised their nostrils. Was told to breathe through the mouth.

That's just crap and I can smell it from here (I live in Finland). Last week it was -30 here and it does nothing to your sense of smell or anything else either. Just a normal January day. I didn't have to put on any extra gear when I went outside. If it gets colder than -40 then it's really cold and I may have to put on some extra.

Archived