Tom Lawrence

RiddingsRam

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don’t blame Lawrence for some of his recent celebrations. Never known a derby  player to get so little praise for the good things he does and get so much stick for his mistakes. Not surprising he gives a bit back. 

He is inconsistent but he’s one of the better players in this team and we’re better for having him. That being said I think if we need to raise cash, he is the one you could sell for big money and possibly cover his absence - because of the emergence of Holmes and Waghorn starting to play wide, with Wilson to fit in as well when everyone is fit we have more players than places.

Discounting Wilson, who won’t be here next season, we’d still have Waghorn, Jozefzoon, Holmes, Bennett and Thomas for those positions if Lawrence were to leave. Is Lawrence that much better than them? Not in my opinion. We’ve lost far better players over the years and we’d probably be able to replace him with a quality loan if he were to leave.

9 hours ago, McLovin said:

Discounting Wilson, who won’t be here next season, we’d still have Waghorn, Jozefzoon, Holmes, Bennett and Thomas for those positions if Lawrence were to leave. Is Lawrence that much better than them? Not in my opinion. We’ve lost far better players ovethe years and we’d probably be able to replace him with a quality loan if he were to leave.

I miss Jamie Ward.

2 minutes ago, brankostrupar said:

Hes 25, if he doesn't know what hes supposed to be doing now then god help us,  

I am worried that this is about as good as he will get, just a marginal improvement maybe but who knows for certain.  A flair player but currently a bit of a luxury which I am slowly beginning to realise is not what we need currently.  Reluctantly, I would let him go and use the profit to shore up the spine of the side

5 minutes ago, Spanish said:

I am worried that this is about as good as he will get, just a marginal improvement maybe but who knows for certain.  A flair player but currently a bit of a luxury which I am slowly beginning to realise is not what we need currently.  Reluctantly, I would let him go and use the profit to shore up the spine of the side

That's the frustration with him, he's only a tiny bit of decision making and maturity away from being absolutely deadly at this level. I think he gets the frustration of fans not because he isn't good but because he could do obviously be much better for the sake of a few simple passes. Same with Keogh who defends well for 90% of the time but then makes a ridiculous mistake as opposed to players who are consistently average but clearly playing at the best they can play.

4 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

That's the frustration with him, he's only a tiny bit of decision making and maturity away from being absolutely deadly at this level. I think he gets the frustration of fans not because he isn't good but because he could do obviously be much better for the sake of a few simple passes. Same with Keogh who defends well for 90% of the time but then makes a ridiculous mistake as opposed to players who are consistently average but clearly playing at the best they can play.

He scores goals with little else unfortunately he doesn’t score enough goals, now with regards to Keogh I have great sympathy for him because he has to do several different jobs and his mistakes are seen a heck of a lot more.

10 hours ago, McLovin said:

Ince was twice the player in my opinion and we sold him for around 8 million.

I'm trying not to post in this thread because Lawrence really isn't my cup of tea, but people comparing him to Ince are way, way off the mark. The one and only similarity between them is that they both walk around with a face like a slapped arse. Ince worked harder, was better defensively, showed more often for his full back, and was markedly more productive in terms of goals and assists.

6 minutes ago, Anon said:

I'm trying not to post in this thread because Lawrence really isn't my cup of tea, but people comparing him to Ince are way, way off the mark. The one and only similarity between them is that they both walk around with a face like a slapped arse. Ince worked harder, was better defensively, showed more often for his full back, and was markedly more productive in terms of goals and assists.

Just shows its a game of opinions. Give me Lawrence any day. 

2 minutes ago, Anon said:

Exactly, we sold Ince when he was the same age as Lawrence and Ince was far more complete. Many are saying that Lawrence is raw but he should be hitting his peak now, he’s not a youngster coming through. We are hoping he gets better and matures, but what if that never happens? We’ve lost Hughes, Ince and Vydra over the years, even Hendrick, players who were more important than Lawrence and we have coped. Lawrence isn’t even a guaranteed starter.

1 hour ago, brankostrupar said:

Hes 25, if he doesn't know what hes supposed to be doing now then god help us,  

in football terms (minutes on the pitch) he is not very experienced at competitive level. 

Also, you're talking crap if you think he doesn't know what he is doing. He only needs to tweak decision making (which comes with experience) and gain consistency with higher performances (again, with experience).

If this is too hard for you to fathom, perhaps football isn't for you.

Archived