DCFC Fans 10 Years Online, Thank You!

Day

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, David said:

10 years, that’s a long time.

29th January 2009, a date which is tattooed on my wrist was the start of something which has played a huge part in my life.

Away from the football and the disagreements over Irish centre backs, manager sackings, FFP and ticket prices, this community has been there with amazing support, advice and puns, not just for myself but fellow fans.

Over the years I’ve had many fans contact me privately to say thank you for creating this platform, each one a reminder of what we have become in a toxic social media world.

I say we because this isn’t about me, I can put the code and guidelines in place but to steal a line from the Derby County marketing team, without you dcfcfans.uk is nothing.

Thank you.

I would also like to say a special thank you to a few people...

Boycie (Paul), thank’s for the socket in my kitchen you installed.

Thank you to the moderators, past and present, for giving up their spare to help keep you all inline and us online.

It’s a thankless job at the best of times, but one that is hugely appreciated. With over 20,000 posts some months, I would never be able to have an afternoon nap without you.

Thank you to Mel Morris, not just for the sausages, but for being so supportive of the forum and taking a genuine interest in the fans.

From speaking to you over the years, seeing you online reading match threads at 1am on Sunday mornings, I know how much this club means to you. I really hope your tenure is rewarded with the Premier League football it deserves, would help boost advert revenue as well. Just saying.

Finally, thank you to Grace our Supporters Liaison Officer who has chased players signatures this last week at late notice for a DCFCFANS 10 shirt I’ve had printed.

I was given permission to frame and hang in the living room as long as I dust it, which I will, every day. Not everyday you’re going to have Frank Lampard and Ashley Cole at your club is it? Still all feels a little surreal.

It’s been an incredible 10 years, here’s to the next 10 ?....

Leeds would have more post on their forum.

Congrats mate and to all involved...... 

I've nipped in and out over recent years, just for a nosy.  But I quite like joining in now, and I'm slowly getting to know who's who.  Plenty to keep you interested, educated and entertained, and the work behind the scenes generally goes unnoticed... which is a compliment, I hasten to add!

Was expecting Boycie to be a lot funnier though, if I'm honest!

Yeah... good 'ere, innit!

Happy Birthday all... and COYRs.

10 years eh ! that is a long time in football ! especially at Pride Park, there has been a lot of water passed under the bridge and a lot of **** flushed down the toilet ! well done @David and the team !

here's to the next ten years ! Champions of England ! Champions of Europe ! FA cup winners ? who knows !

Despite relegation from the Premier League the previous season hopes had been high of an immediate return, especially after manager Paul Jewell's summer reconstruction of the squad seeing 16 players come in and 12 leave. However, things did not go to plan and the club spent the majority of the season in the lower reaches of the table. They were bottom of the league going into the August international break, after a 2-0 defeat away to Barnsley left the club with a single point from the first four games of the season. A 2-1 win over Sheffield United was the club's first league win in almost a year, bringing to an end of a 38-game winless sequence, and a run of just one defeat in 11, with 5 wins, lifted the club to the season high of ninth. Form soon dipped again and, after a run of just two wins in 11 matches which left the club 18th in the table, Jewell quit as manager on 28 December 2008 after just over a year in the job. He left with a record of just 13 wins in 58 matches, though he did take the club to their first major cup semi-final in over 30 years when the club reached the League Cup semi-final, where they lost 4-3 on aggregate to eventual winners Manchester United.

His replacement was Nigel Clough, manager of non-league Burton Albion and son of the club's former manager Brian. Despite overseeing two defeats in his first two games, Clough soon turned the clubs form around, taking them to the 5th round of the FA Cup and just three defeats in 13 matches, a run which included four consecutive wins. A run of three consecutive defeats in mid April meant that survival was not guaranteed until the penultimate game of the season when Player of the Year Rob Hulse scored the winner in a 1-0 win over Charlton Athletic at Pride Park.

10 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

10 years eh ! that is a long time in football ! especially at Pride Park, there has been a lot of water passed under the bridge and a lot of **** flushed down the toilet ! well done @David and the team !

here's to the next ten years ! Champions of England ! Champions of Europe ! FA cup winners ? who knows !

Despite relegation from the Premier League the previous season hopes had been high of an immediate return, especially after manager Paul Jewell's summer reconstruction of the squad seeing 16 players come in and 12 leave. However, things did not go to plan and the club spent the majority of the season in the lower reaches of the table. They were bottom of the league going into the August international break, after a 2-0 defeat away to Barnsley left the club with a single point from the first four games of the season. A 2-1 win over Sheffield United was the club's first league win in almost a year, bringing to an end of a 38-game winless sequence, and a run of just one defeat in 11, with 5 wins, lifted the club to the season high of ninth. Form soon dipped again and, after a run of just two wins in 11 matches which left the club 18th in the table, Jewell quit as manager on 28 December 2008 after just over a year in the job. He left with a record of just 13 wins in 58 matches, though he did take the club to their first major cup semi-final in over 30 years when the club reached the League Cup semi-final, where they lost 4-3 on aggregate to eventual winners Manchester United.

His replacement was Nigel Clough, manager of non-league Burton Albion and son of the club's former manager Brian. Despite overseeing two defeats in his first two games, Clough soon turned the clubs form around, taking them to the 5th round of the FA Cup and just three defeats in 13 matches, a run which included four consecutive wins. A run of three consecutive defeats in mid April meant that survival was not guaranteed until the penultimate game of the season when Player of the Year Rob Hulse scored the winner in a 1-0 win over Charlton Athletic at Pride Park.

Nigel Clough’s first win was the first match since opening the forum, 2-1 win at home against Coventry City

Bywater, Connolly, Albrechtsen, Addison, Stewart, Barazite, Savage, Green, Teale, Hulse, Commons

We went on to win the next 3 games, Plymouth, Blackpool and Forest before the honeymoon was brought to an abrupt end away at Doncaster which saw us win just 3 of the next 13.

Safe to say things have drastically improved over the 10 years, both online and on the pitch!

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Wasn't the puns was it?

Actually, you've reminded me, I think I used to come on here without saying anything to read Derby news - but it was my hatred of the puns that forced me into action.

17 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Actually, you've reminded me, I think I used to come on here without saying anything to read Derby news - but it was my hatred of the puns that forced me into action.

I know what you mean, grinds my gears too.

1 minute ago, Boycie said:

I know what you mean, grinds my gears too.

Well I certainly think over the course of my 9,750 posts I've made great strides in ending the pun culture of this forum ?

1 minute ago, StivePesley said:

I don't think I'm alone when I say that I love this forum and my only sadness is that it's going to be another six years before I can show my love by legally shagging it

Use a VPN to move to Spain, you'll only have to wait 2.

I am a little stunned it's been up and about for 10 years, especially under the same Stewardship, that in itself is a massive achievement, very well done @David

Well done to the Mods, a job I would not fancy, probably closest to being a matchday ref!

I had to check when I joined, wasn't here at the beginning, it's 8 years in September!  Hasn't felt that long.

Archived