Think Twice

ronnieronalde

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Srg said:

I was willing to let it lie, until you took exception to my height. Now... it's on like Donkey Kong.

Was going to direct message you but thought it a touch inappropriate, especially considering our past run ins, plus anyway I'm kind of "all in" personality wise on the forum good and bad and yes I'm aware it's all a bit car crash TV.

I don't know how or when I turned into that kind of person.

I don't really care how I'm viewed as a person anymore. I have one goal. I may even be harming that goal on my own.

You likely won't read or even open a page of the book (cue the piss taking about how long it's taking) but if you did, it would go some way to explaining my ducked up obsession and you may understand it. You may not to be fair, it might not change your opinion at all.

What's the worst thing that's happened to you as a kid mate? (Rhetorical question, no need to answer unless you really want to)

If I told you I was bullied so badly for having a black dad and a mixed race step brother that a gang of the local lads once caught me going home from school, stripped me down to my underpants and in a circle I couldn't get out of started taking turns to slap, punch, spit at me.

I had a really bad stomach and just wanted to get out of there to make it to the toilet.

I didn't make it.

Diarrhea all down my leg.

Did they let me go?

Not on your life. They pinned me down and let stray dogs lick ny legs clean.

That wasn't the worst thing that happened to me as a kid.

Brian, Mrs Clough and the rest of them including Nigel rescued me from that place and gave me confidence enough to go on and do ok in life. Until now when I've started feeling like that little kid again.

That's why I defend his personality. Think what you want of him as a football manager.

The only way I can come close to paying them back is to be 100% loyal now and always.

You weren't to know that, not your fault or responsibility for how I feel and I've got to come to terms with the fact there are people out there who dislike him and that doesn't make them bad people.

I said already mate I don't know you, you might be a real salt of the earth lad.

You'd think I'd be embarrassed to post that?

I could never, ever be as embarassed again as much I was for the first fifteen years of my life.

ducked in the head I know.

Please don't take the piss out of the post.

If it pisses any of you off bite your tongue and click the angry button instead.

18 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Was going to direct message you but thought it a touch inappropriate, especially considering our past run ins, plus anyway I'm kind of "all in" personality wise on the forum good and bad and yes I'm aware it's all a bit car crash TV.

I don't really care how I'm viewed as a person anymore. I have one goal. I may even be harming that goal on my own.

You likely won't read or even open a page of the book (cue the piss taking about how long it's taking) but if you did, it would go some way to explaining my ducked up obsession and you may understand it. You may not to be fair, it might not change your opinion at all.

What's the worst thing that's happened to you as a kid mate? (Rhetorical question, no need to answer unless you really want to)

If I told you I was bullied so badly for having a black dad and a mixed race step brother that a gang of the local lads once caught me going home from school, stripped me down to my underpants and in a circle I couldn't get out of started taking turns to slap, punch, spit at me.

I had a really bad stomach and just wanted to get out of there to make it to the toilet.

I didn't make it.

Did they let me go?

Brian, Mrs Clough and the rest of them including Nigel rescued me from that place and gave me confidence enough to go on and do ok in life. Until now when I've started feeling like that little kid again.

That's why I defend his personality. Think what you want of him as a football manager.

The only way I can come close to paying them back is to be 100% loyal now and always.

You weren't to know that, not your fault or responsibility for how I feel and I've got to come to terms with the fact there are people out there who dislike him and that doesn't make them bad people.

I said already mate I don't know you, you might be a real salt of the earth lad.

I could never, ever be as embarassed again as much I was for the first fifteen years of my life.

If it pisses any of you off bite your tongue and click the angry button instead.

I don't understand why you'd think somebody would take the piss out of your post or be pissed off?

Nobody knows anybody purely by the forum. Literally no point in arguing with somebody you have never met and taking it to heart.

33 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

I didn't make it.

Did they let me go?

Sorry to hear of your torment but, I think you hit the nail on the head with this one line.

No one other than those close to you would know this, so you really can't expect someone who strikes up a conversation on a forum that doesn't agree with your views to hold back, just in case he offends you.

Otherwise it would just end up being a love in and everyone wold agree and there would be no forum.

8 minutes ago, Archied said:

Quality , proper funny and quality that Ronnie responds the way he does 

Agreed, I hope he knows me well enough to know I'll always take the piss, but I respect him immensely. 

I do wish sometimes he'd make life easier for himself, but then again that wouldn't be him.

(All the above based on words on a forum, I don't know him personally).

13 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

Football is and always has been my life and my passion, I should stop cos people can't control the levels of abuse they dish out?

fair enough, knock yourself  out kid. You were the one saying how much it affected you

Answer me this honestly please, are you the same bob who has a go at me on the other forum? I

no

It would certainly explain the reply.I

it doesn't

@ronnieronalde

Just between the two of us...

You rightly stick up for your surrogate family and friends and the underdog. No one minds that.

there were some influential forum members who didn't want Nigel and seemed to be overly enamoured with Sam rush. But times change. Opinions change. Generally i think the majority think nigel did a decent job. He inherited a difficult situation. We went through a few false dawns, but he built the team that went to Wembley and imo was treated harshly at the end. He left Derby County in a much healthier state than he found it. I don't suppose he loses any sleep over the opinions of a few forum members.

brian was something else. I'm glad i was around to witness what he created. everything that has happened since owes a significant debt to OBE. For example, Mel Morris is inspired and enthused as a result of his own experiences of being a Derby fan in those days. Frank makes reference to the great Derby sides of the 70s. Who created that? Who brought in Dave Mackay, Roy McFarland, Archie Gemmill, Alan Hinton etc etc. 

You carry your own scars from the past and you will never be free of all that. You can bury it deep and bottle it up, but every so often something or someone will bring it all back again. All i can say is you've got your cyber-friends too. 

@ronnieronalde

I don't think you need to worry about GR's lad. He was with a gang of mates at Uttoxeter races a few weeks ago (all Derby fans) who were singing to him that his dad's football was poo!

He was laughing his head off and enjoying the craic with his mates. He seems a popular lad amongst his peers and well liked.

As regards Nigel Clough, I seem to recall that the forum was split back then with as many of us appreciating Nige's efforts as there was those totally against him. Hence the happy clapper/wristslasher abuse that was rife at the time. even now, as @RamNut has said, some respect Nige's time at Derby with what he had to work with.

You'll get that everywhere, football fans will always have contrasting viewpoints and a level of vindictiveness against players or managers deemed to have wronged their club.

More importantly, your torment growing up sounds awful and I hope the bullies have had miserable lives.

One tiny little anecdote about Brian. My kid brother did his apprenticeship at British Rail in Derby. One day a few apprentices had attended a course at the Uni and were drinking in a pub in Quarndon during the afternoon. Brian walks in, orders his pint and walks over to the lads and demands to know why they are drinking during the day and not working.

When they explained they were apprentices at the Railway, he bought them all a pint each then told them to not waste their valuable time sitting in pubs and told the landlord to throw them out when they'd finished. ?

24 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

@ronnieronalde

I don't think you need to worry about GR's lad. He was with a gang of mates at Uttoxeter races a few weeks ago (all Derby fans) who were singing to him that his dad's football was poo!

He was laughing his head off and enjoying the craic with his mates. He seems a popular lad amongst his peers and well liked.

As regards Nigel Clough, I seem to recall that the forum was split back then with as many of us appreciating Nige's efforts as there was those totally against him. Hence the happy clapper/wristslasher abuse that was rife at the time. even now, as @RamNut has said, some respect Nige's time at Derby with what he had to work with.

You'll get that everywhere, football fans will always have contrasting viewpoints and a level of vindictiveness against players or managers deemed to have wronged their club.

More importantly, your torment growing up sounds awful and I hope the bullies have had miserable lives.

One tiny little anecdote about Brian. My kid brother did his apprenticeship at British Rail in Derby. One day a few apprentices had attended a course at the Uni and were drinking in a pub in Quarndon during the afternoon. Brian walks in, orders his pint and walks over to the lads and demands to know why they are drinking during the day and not working.

When they explained they were apprentices at the Railway, he bought them all a pint each then told them to not waste their valuable time sitting in pubs and told the landlord to throw them out when they'd finished. ?

Brian to a tea ? That would have been the joiners arms. His public house of choice.

As for the bullies, no idea but the thing about bullies is very often they don't think they've done anything wrong and even less of them self reflect enough to realise the effect they've had.

I've met a fair few of them since, couple of them decent lads, couple of them total **** ****. I have sat down with a couple of them who have been so apologetic and left as scarred by what they did to me as I was. Lads like that I've got some time for.  A lot of it was a result of the area and the era. Don't beat yourself up lads, pardon the pun.

When I went back to Sunderland for a while I deliberately went to play for a team managed by a guy from one of the families who once came to my front door and baseball batted my 15 year old sister across the legs. Just cos her dad was black. His two brothers formed the rest of the back four with me.

duck them and duck that, even if I'm terrified, I'm fronting them up. Training got occasionally spicy!!

I don't wish them misery, I wish they've changed. It's the ones who were bullied I worry about.

Some really nice responses lads and lasses, thank you for that.

ps, delighted that Gaz's lad seems so cool and relaxed about it, I could do with learning from him.

First of all I remember the time this site was divided about being a Nigel lover or Nigel hater. It was at times pretty sickening and very deppressing and it was on 24/7 for so long.

Then there was the part of knowing some of the history of Ronnie and the Clough family as I had the privilege to read Ronnie's first drafts of his book. I hated to read the severe abuse he got and not being able to defend him by the facts I knew.

For me it's easy to see where Ronnie is trying to go with this thread and I totally agree. We should always think about when commenting on here that we are talking about someones child, dad etc.

The thing is I have gone overboard myself in some instances here and caused some negative feelings for some posters and mods too.

One should always take a second thought when posting if the post is really something you are ready to stand for if you had to defend your view in public. I for one could take back some of my "opinions".

Archived