Think Twice

ronnieronalde

Random thought with too much time on my hands.

I've been on forums now for 20 years, those of you who I've known and argued or agreed with on here will know the abuse I've taken (and dished out to be fair - in a weird reverse bullying attempt).

It was bad while Nigel was in charge and possibly got even worse during my Sam Rush hammering days (oh the irony!!).

I didn't get a like for two years ?

I can't begin to explain how some of those episodes left me feeling and how the totting up of the years of abuse has left me feeling about football and football fans.

What's this all about?

Gary Rowett's lad i believe is a Derby fan? Goes to ganes, no idea if he's on the forum or not but if he is....

Most of you knew how highly I regarded Nigel, most of you knew how upset it made me to see the hammerings week o week out, even when I asked nicely to stop it didn't stop, try to tell me there weren't some of you who would deliberately troll me? What for? 

You ALL know GR's lad is a fan of the club 

Please stop and think twice before end aboslutely destroying a real person online, a real person with a real family and real friends.

I've started wondering how his lad must feel every time he logs on and sees the poo and abuse thrown at his old man, and let's be honest here, what for?

Banter, tribalism, rivalry even hatred... I get it, I know it's part and parcel of football but...

As someone who has spent too much of his adult life arguing with and beng totslly destroyed by anonymous strangers and bullies online, please stop and think twice (that goes for me having a go at Stevie Mac as well, who am I to do that and what for?)

No idea what if any reaction I'm going to get with this one. I just wish everyone including me could play nicely I guess.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair point. I wasn’t on the forum in those days so I can’t comment on what you received. 

I still think there’s a place for healthy banter regarding Rowett. He can’t expect to get away with it without a bit of stick, and I’m sure his lad knows that. What his lad would see as the line between banter and vitriol I don’t know.

It’s worth noting that I saw him at the Leeds game the other week. That would suggest that he’s not exactly disillusioned with the club, but who knows.

It’s worth thinking about at least.

58 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Random thought with too much time on my hands.

I've been on forums now for 20 years, those of you who I've known and argued or agreed with on here will know the abuse I've taken (and dished out to be fair - in a weird reverse bullying attempt).

It was bad while Nigel was in charge and possibly got even worse during my Sam Rush hammering days (oh the irony!!).

I didn't get a like for two years ?

I can't begin to explain how some of those episodes left me feeling and how the totting up of the years of abuse has left me feeling about football and football fans.

What's this all about?

Gary Rowett's lad i believe is a Derby fan? Goes to ganes, no idea if he's on the forum or not but if he is....

Most of you knew how highly I regarded Nigel, most of you knew how upset it made me to see the hammerings week o week out, even when I asked nicely to stop it didn't stop, try to tell me there weren't some of you who would deliberately troll me? What for? 

You ALL know GR's lad is a fan of the club 

Please stop and think twice before end aboslutely destroying a real person online, a real person with a real family and real friends.

I've started wondering how his lad must feel every time he logs on and sees the poo and abuse thrown at his old man, and let's be honest here, what for?

Banter, tribalism, rivalry even hatred... I get it, I know it's part and parcel of football but...

As someone who has spent too much of his adult life arguing with and beng totslly destroyed by anonymous strangers and bullies online, please stop and think twice (that goes for me having a go at Stevie Mac as well, who am I to do that and what for?)

No idea what if any reaction I'm going to get with this one. I just wish everyone including me could play nicely I guess.

maybe you shouldn't go on forums if it affects you like that

8 hours ago, bigbadbob said:

maybe you shouldn't go on forums if it affects you like that

Football is and always has been my life and my passion, I should stop cos people can't control the levels of abuse they dish out?

Answer me this honestly please, are you the same bob who has a go at me on the other forum? 

It would certainly explain the reply.

1 hour ago, ronnieronalde said:

Football is and always has been my life and my passion, I should stop cos people can't control the levels of abuse they dish out?

Answer me this honestly please, are you the same bob who has a go at me on the other forum? 

It would certainly explain the reply.

Isn't the Clough family your life and passion, with football being merely incidental?

So we have to think twice about what we post based upon a hypothetical situation that GRs son may be online ? This forum is well moderated and and abuse to an individual is not allowed, nobody is bulling the lad, people are just venting their feelings towards someone who left the club under a cloud.

Seems this is more about your own experience on the forum, and I have seen plenty of replies that you have given as good as you get, you eeem to categorise people who have a different view to yourself, just because you liked NC doesn’t mean other people have to.

A forum is about giving opinions, if it gets personal then use the report button if you need to, as for the trolling, if you are quite vocal on the forum you are going to get your fair share of responses, if you feel it’s trolling once again use the report button, however just because I or others believe NC wasn’t a very good manager at Derby and won’t change that view doesn’t make us wrong just because we express it when someone says the opposite.

I have to say I still like Sam Rush as well, met him recently and was a very nice bloke, not saying I agree with everything he did at Derby, however you didn’t really hold back your feelings about him did you - oh the irony ?

The underlying message that people should think twice before posting certain content is fair enough.

As for Gary, very early in his tenure i noted that whether the football was successful or not, Derby fans would not stomach it indefinately. he alienated a few folk with his attitude to bryson, will hughes and one or two others, but i suppose he had to be true to his principles and stand or fall by his decisions. Its a dog eat dog world and there were plenty of clues that Gary had been keeping in touch during the mac2 tenure, and helping to tip the scales against schteve. When he left i wasn't angry and baying for blood. I was just relieved to be absolutely truthful.

managers live by the sword and die by the sword and they are a pretty thick skinned bunch. The fickle nature of fans is that if Frank left and Gary was re-appointed there would soon be a whole host of folk on here, posting to the effect that it was a good move, and that they had secretly always believed he did a good job etc etc. 

As for Gazza's son. He sounds like a good lad if he was at Leeds away. 

2 hours ago, Srg said:

Isn't the Clough family your life and passion, with football being merely incidental?

First of all, you're not interested in the answer really are you?

Secondly after everything YOU put me through on here, you expect a reply?

I don't know how old you are now Scott but for me be bullied by a child as you were back then was hard to take.

Maybe this thread was another of my many mistakes in hindsight.

Ah well.

1 minute ago, ronnieronalde said:

First of all, you're not interested in the answer really are you?

Secondly after everything YOU put me through on here, you expect a reply?

I don't know how old you are now Scott but for me be bullied by a child as you were back then was hard to take.

Maybe this thread was another of my many mistakes in hindsight.

Ah well.

Bullied? I put you through? Come off it.

Because I told you I didn't like Nigel Clough, don't particularly care for Brian neither, and you didn't like it? I was right when I told you you were a Clough fan, and not a Derby fan. You were welcome to your opinions, I take exception to when you don't accept others try and change them, despite presented with their rationale.

Earlier poster was right though, probably shouldn't go on forums if the drivel idiots like me spout as a child hurts you so bad.

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

Bullied? I put you through? Come off it.

Because I told you I didn't like Nigel Clough, don't particularly care for Brian neither, and you didn't like it? I was right when I told you you were a Clough fan, and not a Derby fan. You were welcome to your opinions, I take exception to when you don't accept others try and change them, despite presented with their rationale.

Earlier poster was right though, probably shouldn't go on forums if the drivel idiots like me spout as a child hurts you so bad.

I never ever denied being a Clough fan before being a Derby fan. I had no choice.

Let's just agree that we're not each others cup of tea. My days of trying to get you to not be so nasty are over.

I don't know you pal, I'm sure you're a decent lad other than some of your football views.

All the best.

26 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

I never ever denied being a Clough fan before being a Derby fan. I had no choice.

Let's just agree that we're not each others cup of tea. My days of trying to get you to not be so nasty are over.

I don't know you pal, I'm sure you're a decent lad other than some of your football views.

All the best.

Nasty? You were knowingly arguing and belittling a kid. Don't forget that part.

19 minutes ago, Srg said:

Nasty? You were knowingly arguing and belittling a kid. Don't forget that part.

You were anonymous until the point you posted a Twitter link. That's the thing with the internet.

Nobody knows who is on the other side of the username.

Once I saw how old you were and how much you were abusing other teams and other sports as well, first of all, as I said, I was gutted to have been wound up by someone so young and so tall.

I think if you're honest with yourself and others you'll admit you went a little bit further than telling me you didn't like Nigel and weren't there keen on his dad either.

I didn't post this looking for a fight abd i certainly don't want to argue with you now o noongrr have that personal connection to the club.

I still like Derby a lot as a club, always will.

Some of the fans not so much but that's no different to the other clubs I've followed whether thats Forest during BC's days, Burton Albion MK1, Derby, Sheffield Utd or Burton mk11.

I'm trying to end our chat pal, can you accept that if i offended you I'm sorry and let's leave it at that, please.

1 minute ago, ronnieronalde said:

You were anonymous until the point you posted a Twitter link. That's the thing with the internet.

Nobody knows who is on the other side of the username.

Once I saw how old you were and how much you were abusing other teams and other sports as well, first of all, as I said, I was gutted to have been wound up by someone so young and so tall.

I think if you're honest with yourself and others you'll admit you went a little bit further than telling me you didn't like Nigel and weren't there keen on his dad either.

I didn't post this looking for a fight abd i certainly don't want to argue with you now o noongrr have that personal connection to the club.

I still like Derby a lot as a club, always will.

Some of the fans not so much but that's no different to the other clubs I've followed whether thats Forest during BC's days, Burton Albion MK1, Derby, Sheffield Utd or Burton mk11.

I'm trying to end our chat pal, can you accept that if i offended you I'm sorry and let's leave it at that, please.

I was willing to let it lie, until you took exception to my height. Now... it's on like Donkey Kong.

Archived