Scouser wants sympathy

Mr. P

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

I get what you’re saying. 

Youre sort of not allowed to say it, and it certainly pails in comparison to the ineptitude and gross incompetence of the authorities and media in the situation, but there will be more than a couple of Liverpool fans who were not faultless in the situation. 

Probably not enough to make a big deal out of it, it’s probably 98% police, 2% fans or something. But it annoys me that it’s not really allowed to apportion even an iota of blame to the fans.

It was unfortunately the perfect storm that caused the chaos. 

Without the incompetence of the police/stewards/organisation then there wouldn't have been a disaster. Equally, if there wasn't Liverpool supporters trying to get in without a ticket then there wouldn't have been a disaster. Unfortunately, 96 people that weren't at fault paid the ultimate price due to those factors. It's just a tragedy that will hopefully never happen again. 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liverpool were my first 'club' as a kid because I saw them on tv and liked their style of football. I still have a soft spot for them and still like their current style of football. 

I attended matches at Anfield in the 70s where I was made to feel welcome and met Liverpool fans happy to discuss the football.

I haven’t ever been to Goodison Park so I don't know what that experience is  like. However, the only time I have ever been punched at a football match was by an Everton supporter at  a Derby County home match. It wasn’t his fault really as he was aiming at his mate who jumped out the way and left me in the firing line. We were standing in the away end of the Popside at the time. Goodness only knows why; we used to go in there quite often! Anyway, I don't hold this incident against all the other genuine people who support Everton; including my former brother in law.

I very much suspect the man who was knifed at Millwall was looking for trouble and there are some of those people at every club, including ours. They shouldn't be used to criticise a wider set of genuine supporters who are as far removed from such behaviours as you and I.

I suppose all this waffle is just to say, judge the individual, not the group. 

Hillsborough was a huge tragedy that was waiting to happen, due to the laxity of policing and ignoring of safety issues at games in previous times. It could have happened to any club but it happened to Liverpool.  What's most important is that it never happens again.

11 hours ago, cheron85 said:

I 'dated' a girl fro m Liverpool at uni and she had truly wonderful breasts - So I've always been rather found of the scousers - But then I try not to judge an entire group of people based only on the experience of one... Except Leeds fans, there's obviously something wrong with them...

It's always somebody else's fault - him, not me. Them, not us.

But that's not entirely true - we are somewhat culpable because there are times that we tolerate bad behaviour to a greater or lesser extent - and we qualify it by saying 'it's just laddish' or describe it as 'banter'.

3 hours ago, eddie said:

It's always somebody else's fault - him, not me. Them, not us.

But that's not entirely true - we are somewhat culpable because there are times that we tolerate bad behaviour to a greater or lesser extent - and we qualify it by saying 'it's just laddish' or describe it as 'banter'.

I literally just had a lecture about inclusion and diversity in the army, where we had a heated discussion about the fine line between banter and bullying. The fact that I’m a derby fan in a sea of red (not quite true, the vast majority are tigers fans (Leicester not hull), but those that do like football are from Nottingham where rugby doesn’t exist, and apparently don’t fulfill the necessary iq requirements to be notts county fans, anyway, I digress). 

What I can tell you is that ‘scouse’ is not a protected characteristic. Not is ‘ginger ‘ for that matter. 

Archived