Timi Max Elsnik - Northampton on loan until the end of the season

rynny

I seem to recall back in the start of the season there was (i think) a fans forum type event where they talked about making sure academy prospects even if they didn't make it at Derby did go on to have careers in the game, e.g. Jamie Hanson got a fee and is going on to be a footballer rather than just didn't make it=discard.

So for Timi it may well be he's on his way with well wishes.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I seem to recall back in the start of the season there was (i think) a fans forum type event where they talked about making sure academy prospects even if they didn't make it at Derby did go on to have careers in the game, e.g. Jamie Hanson got a fee and is going on to be a footballer rather than just didn't make it=discard.

So for Timi it may well be he's on his way with well wishes.

Think you maybe right. Just time to accept he's not making it here. Yes, we all wish he had been given more first team opportunities, but the fact several others have over him this season says a lot. If he had been so good in League 2 over the past 18 months, he would be trying League 1 now, not Northampton. Unfortunately, think that says it all.

No idea about the plans for elsnik, but 10-12 of the u23s are out of contract at the end of the season so does that mean they will all be released? Presumably not.

image.thumb.jpeg.466fca211fb7f071b9bd9cccf848a9d2.jpeg

11 minutes ago, RamNut said:

No idea about the plans for elsnik, but 10-12 of the u23s are out of contract at the end of the season so does that mean they will all be released? Presumably not.

image.thumb.jpeg.466fca211fb7f071b9bd9cccf848a9d2.jpeg

I think Fuseine Rashid being released is fairly likely.

Also possibly Henrich Ravas, as Josh Barnes is ahead of him in the pecking order. But it can be quite hard to say. I've seen players get released that have caused me to raise my eyebrows, then they've gone on to do nothing. 

We could realistically keep them all, unless we bring others in. They're all at least 2 years shy of 23, and not every player develops to a first team level before they're 21.

1 minute ago, Phoenix said:

Not seen Elsnik play and I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that comments from a while ago suggested he was slightly built. He looks quite an athletic  unit now.

He's always been a bit of a unit. Its why he dominates youth football quite as much as he does. ? 

3 hours ago, SaintRam said:

I think Fuseine Rashid being released is fairly likely.

Also possibly Henrich Ravas, as Josh Barnes is ahead of him in the pecking order. But it can be quite hard to say. I've seen players get released that have caused me to raise my eyebrows, then they've gone on to do nothing. 

We could realistically keep them all, unless we bring others in. They're all at least 2 years shy of 23, and not every player develops to a first team level before they're 21.

Ravas seemed to travel with the first team quite a lot in the first half of the season. When there wasn't a first team game he would be in the U23s

On 26/01/2019 at 15:01, McLovin said:

You can only judge players if they are given a proper chance. Some players just perform better in match environments than in training and it’s difficult to judge a player over his performances in a lesser league because the style is a lot different. It’s rather disappointing that he’s not been given a proper opportunity in the first team over the last few years. 

I think part of his problem is that other youth players are viewed to have more potential (Bird, Sibley, Knight), so keeping Elsnik in the first team squad would prevent those three getting opportunities and breaking through.

You would like to think that we wouldn't just let him go at the end of the season. I guess the good news is that we found a loan club for him very quickly. I think he is in that age range, along with Thomas and Lowe where regular football is deemed far more important than being a bench option, the 17-18 year old will only gain by the experience. Seems Frank has a very clear long term plan. I also imagine we are waiting to see where we may be next season before contracts start getting offered.

• 2 months later...

Shows again how much luck plays a part in football.

After his performance against Carlisle, given our poor results around then, he could easily have started making first team appearances but it didn't happen and we changed managers within a month.

He had a great spell at Swindon, scored 5 in 5 and held a first team spot before they changed manager (to Phil Brown) and he as we know is an idiot.

Mansfield he did well and was a fan favourite but from what I gather they basically switched him out for Grant on loan from Forest who hasn't lived up to the hype and is unpopular.

He's rated by Northampton fans who think Curle is an idiot as he keeps switching things and has no idea of his best xi.

4 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Not sure why you think that implies we are trying to sell him. 

Doesn’t the Mansfield managers alleged comment that they couldn’t afford him surgest he was up for sale if required.

1 minute ago, Wolfie20 said:

Not if it was the loan fee they couldn't afford

True.

i think if he was anywhere near the team they’d of kept him close. 

Max Bird is an example, Timi’s had numerous loans to get him used to league football.

He’ll go like the lad Vernam did.

Sad if Timi fades away as I really rate him. Watched him play a few times for Swindon and he did well. 

I wonder whether David Flitcroft wanted to sign him permanently because he wanted Grant in on loan (he was at the maximum number of allowed loans) and we priced him too high for Mansfield because we do rate him?

His situation at Northampton remains a mystery to me!

4 hours ago, angieram said:

Sad if Timi fades away as I really rate him. Watched him play a few times for Swindon and he did well. 

I wonder whether David Flitcroft wanted to sign him permanently because he wanted Grant in on loan (he was at the maximum number of allowed loans) and we priced him too high for Mansfield because we do rate him?

His situation at Northampton remains a mystery to me!

Pay per play after a certain number of games?

Archived