Timi Max Elsnik - Northampton on loan until the end of the season

rynny

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Would have liked to keep him here really and see what he can do, even if just to help the U23s out. Oh well, good luck timi.

What he can do is be quite a useful player for Swindon, Mansfield and Northampton.  He seems to me to be finding his level.  Bird and Sibley would seem to be more favoured options currently for breaking into our first team.

Just now, i-Ram said:

What he can do is be quite a useful player for Swindon, Mansfield and Northampton.  He seems to me to be finding his level.  Bird and Sibley would seem to be more favoured options currently for breaking into our first team.

Yeah I do get that, just feel we’re a bit light on options in midfield across all age levels really. Tbf when I’ve watched Elsnik recently I haven’t been too impressed, shame because he did look to have good potential a couple of years ago. 

13 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Would have liked to keep him here really and see what he can do, even if just to help the U23s out. Oh well, good luck timi.

Can't see him getting any Championship starts if he stayed with us and I think the U23s only have another 7 or 8 matches. If he can establish himself quickly with Northampton he could play best part of 20 matches before season end.

Right decision

16 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Can't see him getting any Championship starts if he stayed with us and I think the U23s only have another 7 or 8 matches. If he can establish himself quickly with Northampton he could play best part of 20 matches before season end.

Right decision

And may e net us a small fee in the Summer. 

I would hope he is still on the radar of Frank and Jody, but going to a lower League 2 level doesn't fill me with confidence that he is. Perhaps as @Wolfie20 says it will get him more games than sticking around here, but I fear that they have made their mind up on him. Clearly I don't see him as much as them, but he looked bigger and stronger and scored a corker for the U23's in the week so still has promise for me, but years older than Bird or Sibley so maybe had his chance?

4 minutes ago, dabber said:

I would hope he is still on the radar of Frank and Jody, but going to a lower League 2 level doesn't fill me with confidence that he is. Perhaps as @Wolfie20 says it will get him more games than sticking around here, but I fear that they have made their mind up on him. Clearly I don't see him as much as them, but he looked bigger and stronger and scored a corker for the U23's in the week so still has promise for me, but years older than Bird or Sibley so maybe had his chance?

I'm afraid you may be right. I thought he was impressive on loan last year and was maybe disappointed to be sent out again at a similar level this season. 

I feel like he's ready in his head to make the step up and this might be holding him back from really bossing it at the lower level. 

Until Bryson and Mount go, he won't get an opportunity. He might never get one for Derby and I would be a bit sad if that happens. 

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

Noticeable that he's gone back to L2 again... the fact that no L1 clubs have taken him likely means that us U23 watchers are over-rating Timi somewhat.

I suspect it could be his strength, he's deceptively strong. Players bounce off him in the U23s, he just walks past them.

Even if its in league 2, he's still playing against men while he's on loan.

His technical ability is such that I do still think he has an abundance of potential, but it could be that he's become overly reliant on the fact that most youth players can't deal with him, and needs more time at a senior level adapting his game.

I'm certainly not ruling him out as a future Derby player, for sure - but the lack of progress apparently seen by the coaches here between his loans is a concern.

As for sending him straight back on loan - I think in this position it's absolutely the right decision. Half a season of senior football is of far more use to him than however many games the U23s still have to play.

4 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

For these young players to develop, they need to be playing at a level above u23, it makes them grow quicker as a player, and they learn how fast the game. U23, is not on the same level physical as division1 and 2, if he can perform week in and out at that level he has a chance if not, then he will never make it, u23 is not a yard stick to know how good a player is.

6 hours ago, Kamikaze said:

Doesn't his contract end this summer too? So he's basically been discarded now.

It looks that way with Thomas and Lowe both signing new contracts before going out on loan, but as you say Elsnik decision may have been made, but if he keeps scoring like he did today maybe he can get a new contract?

You can only judge players if they are given a proper chance. Some players just perform better in match environments than in training and it’s difficult to judge a player over his performances in a lesser league because the style is a lot different. It’s rather disappointing that he’s not been given a proper opportunity in the first team over the last few years. 

Archived